book first then movie or movie first then book? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Puck

Default Re: book first then movie or movie first then book?

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    In general I don't go out of my way to see a movie based on a book. I like reading a book better than watching a movie, although I am a fan of movies.

I agree and I usually like to read the book first so I have an idea of how the story will go, although there are times when I've questioned whether I'm
    actually watching the movie of the book I read.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

I actually enjoyed both the book and the movie.

I went to see Jurassic Park with my mother; I can't remember why she wanted to see it but she did. So we're sitting in the packed theater and the movie is roaring along and the T-Rex is escaping, and the raptors are eating people left and right. Right after the T-Rex escapes and eats the lawyer I hear the woman next to me gasp and say to the person with her "I thought this was a family movie!" I wanted to ask her if she had ever actually seen any of Spielberg's other movies, like, you know, Raiders of the Lost Ark? I still chuckle about that all these years later.

Regards,
    Michael
    Oh...maybe I mistyped...I specifically meant the SECOND Jurassic Park sucked. I LOVED the first one...saw it 13 times IN THE THEATER. But the second book was better than the first one....yet the second movie was terrible. Mostly this is because they barely used anything that was in the book...and added that stupid gymnastics girl....First Jurassic Park is a classic movie experience.

The hands-down best movie adaptation of a books I've seen is the Lord of the Rings films. I can tell Peter Jackson loved those books just as much as I did. I almost cried in the theater when the camera revealed Hobbiton for the first time. It was exactly as I had pictured it in my own head.
    This is actually why I've never gotten around to reading the books. Way back in the day I tried to read the Hobbit and couldn't get into it. So, just by extension, I never got around to LotR (unfortunately, I DID get around to Terry Brooks' Shannara series, which I loved until I saw LotR and realized it was a terrible knock-off of the same story). After each LotR movie I asked my brother and everyone else I knew who loved the books what was missing, and generally the stuff I was told that was left out sounded stupid anyway, and the stuff that was in the movie was DEAD ON for the book. Kinda felt like I didn't miss anything, so why bother? I still need to read them just because I'm a fantasy fan and it's silly that I haven't...but it's hard when I know it's pretty much the same thing I already saw.

If you enjoy fantasy and haven't read The Lord of the Rings I do highly recommend it. There is more in the novels that make them a richer experience, but Jackson pretty much nailed it dead on in his films. Arwen's role in the novels is not nearly as prominent as in the film but Jackson said in the extras to the extended editions of the movies he did that because he wanted to pay homage to Prof. Tolkien and his wife (who was reportedly the great love of his life), and make the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen be actually Tolkien and his wife. Reportedly, Tolkien wrote The Lay of Leithian for his wife, with him being Beren and his wife being Lúthien Tinúviel. But that may be more information than you wanted to know.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

And yet,

Jurassic Park ISN'T an ebook.

That would be one that I would get instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Starearedkid
    And yet,

Jurassic Park ISN'T an ebook.

That would be one that I would get instantly.
    Heh. Good point.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

d'Artagnan

I like reading the book first but if I see a movie and then find it was based on a book, I have no problem going back and reading the book if I lived the movie.
    [quote author=horse_girl link=topic=2435.msg32487#msg32487 date=1280350006]
    Good thing with the crotch grabbing and gummi butt crack.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Fireflywishes link=topic=2831.msg37328#msg37328 date=1282252903]
    yummy, yummy, in my tummy!
    [/quote]

Puck

FWIW, Pillars of the Earth simultaneously is not going too well!

I thought I hit the first episode spot on book-wise, but episode 2 is harder to catch up.

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by hereticrick
    To me, it's about source-material. Read the book first, because that's how it's MEANT to be. The reason movies make people mad who've read the books is because they dont' do the source material justice (other than LotR, which is the one case where I have not yet read the books...shame on me...). Why let the lesser experience be the first one? Just look at the Harry Potter movies, which glomp through the stories, leaving almost no mystery and leave out half the cast. They deliver the "surprise" ending without building up the sense of mystery. Where you spend the whole book guessing and second-guessing the ending until BAM you didn't even suspect the true villain, the movies just kinda goes "ho-hum and oh..btw..it was this guy" but without any of the emotional power. I'd much rather not have the mystery ruined by bad story-telling myself. It's like watching a trailer that gives away the whole plot.

Now, that said, except for a few cases, the movie will ALWAYS be inferior to the book. So, get over it. I've learned over the years to lower my expectations with movies of books I've read, and so I'm not nearly as peeved by movie renditions as some people (or as I used to get). I no longer care if they follow the plot 100%, or if the characters look like I think they should...just so long as they can get some of the FEEL of the movie right (imo the last HP movie was the best and it was the worst at following the actual books events). For one thing, you have to give movie-makers a break - a lot of stuff that translates great on paper just WON"T translate to film. Lots of characters in the HP movies never showed up or were only glossed over. But in the grand scheme of things (which none of us knew until the final book came out - which is why, I believe, all of the movies that came out AFTER the last book have been better than those before), most of those characters just didn't matter, no matter how much we loved them in the books.

Books don't ruin movies. Expectations do. You are not going to see the things you imagined brought to life. You are going to see a rendition of the story you read, interpreted by someone else, and filtered through a million different types of constraints (budget, Hollywood, publicity, etc). I'm always for seeing the story the way it was MEANT to be seen first (in this case - a book).

Anyway...my advice is to read the book first, but then lower your expectations for the movie (and go in with an open mind) so you don't feel like the book "ruined" it for you.

(although sometimes no matter what you do the movie will still suck....and if you see the movie first and it's awful you might not even WANT to read the book - even if the book was amazing. Jurassic Park 2, the Lost World is a good example of this. It's been a long time since I read that book, but back when it came out all three members of my family that read it thought it was actually better than the first book.....they did not really use very much of the book in making the movie, though...)
    What Hereticrick said.... LOL

I almost ALWAYS prefer the book to the movie, because details count (to me...) The little, telling scenes almost always go away...

Some interpretations are far better than others, but on the whole, Tim Burton should stick to his OWN stories...those movies tend to be fantastic...HIS interpretation of others work (especially well known work) is ALWAYS wrong!
    Trish...
    Visit my blog at http://www.aliaslaceygreen.wordpress.com

Visit my photo website at http://www.rteest42.smugmug.com

Friend Me http://www.facebook.com/trishcaseygreen

Puck

no bones about it; book first then movie for me. if I end up accidentally watching the movie first I never go back and read the book. sometimes I'll see a trailer for a movie coming out that has a book and I'll quickly try to read it before the movie hits theaters.
    Now Reading - Riptide - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
    Goodreads User koolkat67

Mr. Darcy

Has to be the book first!!! Also, if it's a series, I have to re-read before I go to the movie.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast