Don't mind me, I just gotta vent...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Puck

Default Don't mind me, I just gotta vent...

I'd like to start off by saying that I'd like to think I'm a pretty friendly person. While I am a tried and true Introvert, I spend most of my time in my head, in fact, I prefer it there, if a stranger tries to start a conversation with me, I'm usually for it. I do enjoy meeting new people, hearing their stories, and learning new things.

However....

If there is one time that I wish I could wear a big neon sign saying "Don't try to talk to me!" It's while I'm at the Laundry Mat. I always take reading material. DTB's in my pre-Nook days, and of course, my trusty nook now. Since I work from home, it's rare that I get a solid hour during the day to just read and not be distracted by emails, DH, pets, dirty dishes, messy house, etc... So I actually look forward to Laundry days for that reason.
    You know how there are some types of people who just can't NOT talk to someone nearby? Well they always seem to run out of clean clothes that same time we do. I try desperately to avoid eye contact, knowing that if I do I've just invited them to start talking to me and I'll end up spending the rest of my reading time trying to politely/awkwardly get out of the conversation. They don't seem to pick up on my body language or blatant lack of interest on my end. Sometimes they don't even wait for the eye contact to be made, they just cannon ball into the middle of my peace.
    Not to mention how awkward it is when I'm folding my clothes. Forgive me if I don't want to have a conversation with a complete stranger while I am handling my *ahem* intimates.
    Yesterday I seriously contemplated the idea of bringing a pair of ear buds with me and just sticking the other end in my pocket to make it look like I'm listening to music. Maybe it would deter people from talking to me. I at least wouldn't feel so bad for ignoring them.
    If that makes me a bad person....I think I'm okay with that.

</venting>

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Don't mind me, I just gotta vent...

I don't know of you are a bad person or not, but wanting some peace doesn't put you in that category.

My wife has a serious social condition: She has WEIRDO written across her forehead and only the socially insane can see it. She will attract a talkative hobo from 100 yards away, in a crowded train station. One time she took me to the doctor and, instead of coming in with me, opted to sit in the waiting room. She spent a horrifying 40 minutes hearing about some random woman's issues with her husband and his sexual proclivities. She was almost in tears when I came back into the waiting room.

So, ItsMe, I feel for you and your violated laundry time. I used to look forward to Saturday morning at the laundromat. It was an hour-and-a-half of blissful solitude. Maybe because I look look like I bite, without provocation?
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.'

My coworkers bother me all the time when I'm eating lunch and reading. I make it quite obvious, and then they say "oh sorry, I know you're reading..." with that awkward silence at the end. So then I feel like the jerk for wanting some peace, quiet and time away from the insanity that is my job. I always relent.

Edit: I was just going to edit this to give an example of today, where I've been interrupted to ask what book I'm reading (again), I've been shown a phone's different features (twice), and other miscellaneous crap, a total of 5 times. But as I clicked "Modify," my coworker walks in, says, "'Sup Midget" and starts telling me about his sister. And now, someone's talking to me about being open on Monday.

I may as well just sit at my desk.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I'm pretty blunt, I'll just cut the person off and say nice to meet you and continue reading.

The ear buds are a good idea though, I was going to recommend them before you mentioned them.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by DeCrescenzo
    I'm pretty blunt, I'll just cut the person off and say nice to meet you and continue reading.

The ear buds are a good idea though, I was going to recommend them before you mentioned them.
    same here, I am very blunt. if the person doesn't get the hint the first time I make it very clear. hubby and I fight about it all the time because he's too nice and would let someone talk his ear off while he was fuming inside trying to figure out how to get them to STOP and GO AWAY! I am just NOT too nice. I am a nice person, but if I'm OBVIOUSLY occupied I expect my time and privacy to be respected. lol.
    Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.

Tiny Tim

Ear buds/headphones don't repel the talkers, in my experience. I, too, work at home (editor), and my outside-the-home time is usually taking my pugs for their three daily walks to the park down the street. I wear my ear buds with the long, dangling cords hanging down where everyone can see them, but they still start talking to me. This causes me to juggle the two dogs, gloves, headphones, etc., in time to ask them to repeat themselves because I didn't hear them with the headphones on. It seems if people want to talk, they're going to interrupt you no matter what you're doing.

Gina
    Proud Army Wife and Coast Guard Mom

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by PugParent
    Ear buds/headphones don't repel the talkers, in my experience. I, too, work at home (editor), and my outside-the-home time is usually taking my pugs for their three daily walks to the park down the street. I wear my ear buds with the long, dangling cords hanging down where everyone can see them, but they still start talking to me. This causes me to juggle the two dogs, gloves, headphones, etc., in time to ask them to repeat themselves because I didn't hear them with the headphones on. It seems if people want to talk, they're going to interrupt you no matter what you're doing.

Gina
    so true, I've had it happen too. but I don't juggle, I just keep walking or doing what I was doing like I didn't even hear them. it may seem rude, but to me walking up to strangers and forcing your way through their barriers is extremely rude too. lol. but truly, most of the time I have my headphones in I really can't hear them, and am not about to ask what they said because having the headphones in served it's purpose. lol.
    Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.

Thing 2

see i disagree with everyone that has said it does not work.. the only way anyone can say anything to you is if you openly let them.

i am very much like snookie i kinda speak my mind inapproptiatly at time just the other day we were in this city called defuniak springs fl

the parking lot was nothing but pick ups and it had me thinking of home (which was where i was heading) and the waffle house we entered smelled funny

as we were checking out ileaned into bf and (in an apparently not so low voice) said, these ppl smell funny

he stepped away from me and apparently no one noticed but i said it quite loud i tend to just walk into a place with a mean look on my face and no one talks to me i thankfully don't have to go to a laundrymat being that we have one in an accessable area here in the complex and i used to use that time to read before we decided our stuff was safe to leave there.

i never got interrupted really but i do understand the crazy's being out when your out :P

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by RagdollvX
    see i disagree with everyone that has said it does not work.. the only way anyone can say anything to you is if you openly let them.

i am very much like snookie i kinda speak my mind inapproptiatly at time just the other day we were in this city called defuniak springs fl

the parking lot was nothing but pick ups and it had me thinking of home (which was where i was heading) and the waffle house we entered smelled funny

as we were checking out ileaned into bf and (in an apparently not so low voice) said, these ppl smell funny

he stepped away from me and apparently no one noticed but i said it quite loud i tend to just walk into a place with a mean look on my face and no one talks to me i thankfully don't have to go to a laundrymat being that we have one in an accessable area here in the complex and i used to use that time to read before we decided our stuff was safe to leave there.

i never got interrupted really but i do understand the crazy's being out when your out :P
    bahbahahaha! I have SO done that! but we weren't in a waffle house at the time, we were at my husband's GRANDMA'S HOUSE! hahahaha!

Puck

Hey I know D-Funk! It's about 40 min from where I grew up! (Nicevillle/Destin) To say the ppl smell funny there is an understatement. Walking into that Walmart is like your very own peopleofwalmart.com to behold.

See my hubby's good at cutting people off and getting himself out of conversations he doesn't want to be in. I'm the one that suffers internally but am too afraid of being rude and making them feel bad. Which is why I will be using ear buds next time. They will be my excuse to be rude.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast