School Bus explodes on first day of school. 16 children escaped safely.

Default School Bus explodes on first day of school. 16 children escaped safely.

When I watched this story this morning, it had me think back to my days in elementary school. We had school fire drills but never a school bus escape drills. Were school bus escape drills common in your area when you grew up. I started Kindergarten in 1980.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...CCI?&hpt=hp_c2
    See why CHILL RUN is a thriller that will "Keep You Guessing." Available now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: School Bus explodes on first day of school. 16 children escaped safely.

Holy crap!
    I was born in '89, and didn't have to ride a school bus until I was in 8th grade. But I remember I'd always wait for my friends to get off the school bus and they would have to do a bus drill and jump out of the back. I remember my friends hating it.

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: School Bus explodes on first day of school. 16 children escaped safely.

I remember when in elementary school and middle we had school bus drills. Most of the time done in the school parking lots, but sometimes the driver would just pull over the side of the road and yell fire to start us. I guess now a days parents would sue for a driver pulling off the road in a non emergency and having a drill. But this shows that they are needed. I am glad that all were ok.
    Author of 'It Waits' (free), 'Dragons Fire and the Brave Little Prince' (.99), 'Rashnar' (free), 'Krae' (.99)
    http://robertyelverton.info
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/RMY
    http://www.feedbooks.com/user/127425/profile

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I always lived so close to the schools, I couldn't take the bus. I had to walk. Which really sucks in the rain/cold.

d'Artagnan

The school my kids go to schedules bus drills twice a year because of field trips. They practice in the parking lot. Of course the one thing they don't let the kids do is crawl out of the windows or emergency hatch on the roof of the bus. I wish they would, it would make the event more memorable.

After watching this news report, it had me thinking how necessary these drills are and how we used to take them for granted back then (in my case).
    See why CHILL RUN is a thriller that will "Keep You Guessing." Available now.

Mr. Darcy

nope. I don't remember ever having a school bus escape drill. That should be more common, just in case.
    The Chosen, a YA fantasy that's been compared to Harry Potter and of mythical proportions.