Boardgames and Roleplayers Unite

Tiny Tim

Default Boardgames and Roleplayers Unite

One of the things I do a lot of is play boardgames and role-playing games (the kind you play on the tabletop). I'm not good at video games or at most PC games (with the exception of certain sports simulation games). I'm not good at most of the other games I play either, but I can but try.

Thus one of the reasons I got the Nook Color -- it handles PDF files after a fashion, and a LOT of boardgame and RPG rulebooks are now coming out or downloadable on PDF. With the 32GB card I've ordered (heretically from Amazon) I should be able to hold quite a few and hopefully swap out the ones I need and don't need at any given time (as I currently store the PDFs on my desktop).

Still, I'm wondering how well this has worked out for people and whether anyone else actually does it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

When I first got my nook, I downloaded pdf's of the D&D reference manuals. It's easier than lugging them around, but takes longer to look something up.

I actually play Monopoly and Trivial pursuit with my boyfriend on our iPads. Our roommate has it too, and it has a feature where we can place the board (iPad) in the middle of the table and use our iphones for our game pieces (like with scrabble, our tiles, etc). It's fun.

I always win.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03 View Post
    I actually play Monopoly and Trivial pursuit with my boyfriend on our iPads. Our roommate has it too, and it has a feature where we can place the board (iPad) in the middle of the table and use our iphones for our game pieces (like with scrabble, our tiles, etc). It's fun.

I always win.
    That's why nobody, but nobody, plays Trivial Pursuit against me. The only person I ever lost to was my sister. One time I was playing against one of my RPG-writing colleagues and he chose the most difficult (for me) question he found on the card. I nailed it. (It was about the composition of a Black Russian cocktail, and I'm a tee-totaler. HE thought I wouldn't know anything about that. He was wrong.) So he asked me the other five questions on the card and I got them all right. He never offered to play Trivial Pursuit against me again.

Tablets of all types have the potential to be great game-enhancement tools for non-computer games. Although people will always prefer to roll their own dice, play their own cards, etc.

As a boardgamer I find utilities like Cyberboard and VASSAL invaluable.

nkt
    Tiny Tim

i use boardgames as my time away from screens. I prefer NOT to play boardgame ports on iPad, etc. I like the human contact of boardgame night. In fact, i think i need to schedule another one!
    --
    Nicholas K Tulach
    Hammer & Birch / SkySpark Books
    Purveyor of fine, independently published books
    @hammerbirch
    @skysparkbooks