So many people still don't *get* e-readers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default So many people still don't *get* e-readers

In reading various reviews and comments regarding the nook I'm still struck by how many people just don't seem to *get* e-readers. They bring up the usual assertions like tablets or cell phones would do just as well, or the converse, that they don't want to give up the feel of books.

I decided to post a bit of a rant on my blog, feel free to comment/criticize: http://bit.ly/8nL2Fg

It's deliberately kept to e-readers in general, and is not nook specific, but I think all the points I make apply to the nook.
    Regard all phenomena as dreams.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

mfaine

Default Re: So many people still don't *get* e-readers

Great summary of my newest pet peeve. Since getting my nook I'm getting very tired of defending the entire eReader market. Seems like nearly every day I'm having to explain much of what you have explained here. Maybe, from now on I'll just give them a link to this post.

-Mark

Nice 'blog post. I really liked the "fondler" section.

I also think people who don't "get" e-readers are also more enamored of so-called convergence devices then is healthy. Don't get me wrong, I think my iPhone is one of the best convergence devices on the market, but it is the only one I own, and I would never try to read for any period of time on it. Just try to read Neal Stephenson's Anathem on an iPhone, or even a netbook. I'll bet most people would want to gouge their own eyes out after about 30 minutes. Ewww... that was a little graphic...

I was talking with a co-worker in the office the other day and he was saying that none of the current eReaders were compelling to him. I asked him why specifically and he said their business models didn't seem to make sense to him. I thought this was a little odd but as we were talking it came out that the real reason he saw no use for an eReader is because he doesn't read like most of us on this board probably do. He only reads magazines. So of course an eReader isn't really a good fit for him. I don't understand that attitude myself, but we're just different that way. So be it.

As I've mentioned before I've had a Sony Reader for a couple of years and I have actually been reading more, and I have bought more books over the past two years than I did in the previous 5 all because my eReader is convenient to carry and easy to have more than one book with me at a time.

So to the eReader nay-sayers I say Boo! Don't buy one if you don't want one, but don't try to convince me it's a bad investment because it's not.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Michael, thanks, glad you liked the post!

I agree that I think everyone is looking for the perfect convergence device, with the Apple tablet being the next great hope. (I am SO sick of speculation regarding it.) I really liked my iPhone, and love my Droid, but they have their limits. I still prefer a dedicated MP3 player for music and an eReader for longer reading sessions.

Like I said in the blog, I think few people will admit they don't read for long periods of time, but I think that's true for many like your friend. They skip from little article to little article online, and never really settle in to a consistent stream of reading. Remember how blogs seemed like the end of long form journalism? Now blog entries can look positively bloated in the age of twitter. In MMO gaming circles, someone can refer to a post as a 'wall of text' if it's more than three paragraphs long, like that is some sort of obscenely long screed.

I've been reading lots more too since I've got my Kindle, and I only expect things to increase once my nook arrives.

In any case, thanks for your comments!

-Eddie
    Regard all phenomena as dreams.

Tom Sawyer

Yup, I thoroughly agree!

I don't have an ebook reader... just a huge longing and a budget crisis But I find myself having numerous discussions, over and over, about the possibilities of ebook readers. I've found that it takes about 10 repetitions of the advantages of an ebook reader for someone to say, "huh, maybe one WOULD be good..."

Weird

Humorously, not too long after the Kindle 2 came out I offered to buy my mother one as a gift. It turns out she was one of those "book fondlers" so she declined saying she really liked "the feel of books." Then about 3 months ago I find out her husband had bought her one, so she offered to get me my choice of new eReader for Xmas.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Over in the nook Discussions section I had started a thread complaining about the formatting of ebooks and I was just thinking that perhaps even the publishers may not get eReaders either. I download so many ebooks that have blank lines between paragraphs with no indentations that I wonder if the publishers think ebooks should look like 'blog posts. Weird.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Tom Sawyer

I was at a party Saturday afternoon where the subject of ereaders came up (probably brought up by me), and a woman said "I just like to hold the book." How many times have we heard that one? "The smell of a book" is another cliche.

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by flutist
    I was at a party Saturday afternoon where the subject of ereaders came up (probably brought up by me), and a woman said "I just like to hold the book." How many times have we heard that one? "The smell of a book" is another cliche.
    Funny, someone said that to me Saturday afternoon too.

Also, isn't it 'flautist'?

-Mark

Mowgli

Quote Originally Posted by mfaine
    Funny, someone said that to me Saturday afternoon too.

Also, isn't it 'flautist'?

-Mark

depends upon where you are from...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast