I Need Lots Of Help - As You Well Know! - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Re: I've Got A Big Problem - Either With You Or With Me?!

Is it alright to leave the Nook Color and the Nook Classic plugged in all of the time - except when reading?
    Currently Reading - Fiction: The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer
    Non-Fiction: My Life by President Bill Clinton; Without Hesitation by General Hugh Shelton; and Legacy Of Ashes: The History Of The C.I.A. by Tim Weiner

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: I Need Lots Of Help - As You Well Know!

Thanks Rachel - as you can see it worked! Richard
    Non-Fiction: My Life by President Bill Clinton; Without Hesitation by General Hugh Shelton; and Legacy Of Ashes: The History Of The C.I.A. by Tim Weiner

Puck

I want to especially thank "Ahmose" - you are really going above and beyond in your help - Thank You - Finally - I'm probably not supposed to ask - but I'll ask and you can just reply - sorry. Ahmose - in a couple of your posts you mention about going to an observatory - do work at one? Now that would be an exciting job.
    Don't mention it ,
    It's what we are here for (on Earth)
    to help each other. lol
    I have a couple days off starting tomorrow, so Ill be able to put some things together for you.

Yeah I work at the observatory.
    Mostly doing IT/Computer stuff during the day..
    and night times I just mostly get to have fun.
    Except on friday nights, when it is "public night"..
    and you have to operate the big scopes/domes for masses of visitors that come up to see the stars. lol

That is actually fun also.. (mostly) lol
    But the nights where it's only the astro society folks (every night but fridays, and special events)..
    is the really fun stuff! lol
    It is exciting for sure and something Ive always wanted to do..
    (well, I always wanted to be an astronaut),
    But I guess I failed.. so I suppose this is the next closest thing a peasant like myself can do to get closer to the stars.
    Being an astronomer was always near the top of the list though.
    Although I don't really consider myself "an astronomer"....
    I still don't feel right unless I add the "amateur" onto it...
    So I guess I call myself an amateur astronomer. lol

I don't think it's any problem that you asked.

If you're interested in the Cosmos..
    I could send you some images from some of our astro-photography sessions.

We image many galaxies soo close you can almost feel them teeming with life! lol

Regarding your question..
    of leaving the nooks plugged in all the time when not in use...

That wouldnt be the best idea.
    You should try not to do that.

If nothing else..
    it would damage the batteries for good.
    Even if not right away.

It is not a good idea to leave rechargeable batteries plugged in all the time.
    It could result in them "blowing up" or leaking inside the nooks..
    damaging them forever.

They should only be plugged in when they need to be charged.

Talk to you soon.

'Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.'~Mark Twain

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

A). Yes - I'm very interested in astronomy - I would be very appreciative of some images! I recently some images that astronomers said showed innumerable new galaxies and that we would be foolish to think we were the only intelligent life form in existence. Which observatory do you work at? (If it's alright to ask). For someone stuck at home the thought of the vastness of space has a special allure. I even own several apps on astronomy. Yes, I'd appreciate some images. Thank You.
    B). In the movie Forrest Gump starring Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump says "stupid is as stupid does". Well, I've now unplugged. And will remain unplugged.
    C). I've read that the Kindle and the Nook are not the best for downloading and listening to MP3 files. I would sure appreciate all the input I can get on this aspect of Ereaders.
    D). One more time - and because it's not a part of this tread - and because I really do want all the opinions I can get - I now own a Nook Classic - an Amazon Kindle 3 - and a Nook Color (and I will probably pick up a Sony Ereader) because I've been given the opportunity to evaluate Each of them from the perspective of someone completely new to the Ereader Market (to include all aspects of the Ereader experience). And as you can tell by reading this "thread" I know nothing about the Ereader Market - but I'm sure starting to learn.
    E). Which model of Sony would be the one that would most closely compare to the Nook Classic - The Amazon Kindle 3 - the Nook Color?
    F). Is there a social aspect to the various Ereader sites?
    G). I read from a major news organizations paper that the reason the Nook Color won a award at the recent CES gathering in Las Vegas was because it was so easy to "root" and thereby be able to add apps to the device? Any truth to the article?
    H). Finally one of the first things I learned about Ereader owners - they are certainly passionate about the model they bought - some might even say "to the extreme". Thanks - Richard

Mr. Darcy

What I meant to say in item B was "I've now unplugged the Ereaders and they will remain unplugged until it's necessary to recharge them. Thanks for the tip.

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by rich2704 (Richard)
    F). Is there a social aspect to the various Ereader sites?
    Specific to NOOKBOARDS

Well, Rachel (our fearless Founderess) just announced on another thread that this site hit its 10,000 member milestone.

If you wander the 'boards' within the site, you'd find that we tend to also 'talk' to each other about non-Nook related topics: pets, hobbies, etc.

A number of us IM or video conference on Skype.

And if NB's ever goes down, people from the site tend to reconvene over on FB.

Long/short (not so short)... My answer to this question is a resounding 'YES!'.

Donna

Which model of Sony would be the one that would most closely compare to the Nook Classic - The Amazon Kindle 3 - the Nook Color?
    Sony has multiple models of eReader. I think the one that most closely compares to the Nook classic and Kindle is the Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC). The model that most closely compares to the Nook Color is the Sony Daily Edition (PRS-950SC). The Sony Daily Edition does not have an LCD screen but an e-ink touch screen, which is the major difference. Otherwise the features are very similar to the Nook Color.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Puck

A). Yes - I'm very interested in astronomy - I would be very appreciative of some images! I recently some images that astronomers said showed innumerable new galaxies and that we would be foolish to think we were the only intelligent life form in existence. Which observatory do you work at? (If it's alright to ask). For someone stuck at home the thought of the vastness of space has a special allure. I even own several apps on astronomy. Yes, I'd appreciate some images. Thank You.

Indeed.

If one is to look at any of the "hubble deep field" images..
    such as this~ [img width=600 height=285]http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/9702/deep_hst.jpg[/img]
    Which shows nothing but Galaxies~ (in a tiny section of the sky) [about the size of your pinky nail held out at arms length)
    One would have to be completely ignorant to think he is the only "intelligence" in a sea of nothing but galaxies, lol

Every point of light in this image~ Is an entire galaxy!
    ( a stray star or two, may be visible), but it is crazy to know that ALL those galaxies..
    can be found in just a very, very tiny section of sky the size of your fingernail.
    And this is what we are completely "surrounded" by!

Infinite numbers of galaxies, other worlds, other people on those worlds! lol

I will send you a private message here on nookboards..
    with a link to the observatory I am at. (don't like to post that stuff online) *too many crazy people on the interwebs!*
    But Ill send it privately to anyone here who asks. lol
    and ill also ask for your email, So I can send you some images from our scopes.

So check your private messages here when you sign in next.
    (a pop up window will probably show, telling you that you have a new message).

I am working on some things for you now, to make life a little easier.
    (online life at least). lol

'Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.'~Mark Twain

Mr. Darcy

I REALLY DO NEED SOME HELP/ADVICE: Late last night I was on B&N's website downloading some sample books from the author Robert Ludlum. (I like to checkout the ones that I'd like to read). One of the aspects of my disabilities (see previous post) is that my hands continually shake - its very difficult to eat/hold a book/TYPE/ and especially write. When ordering one of the "samples" my right hand jerked and before I knew it I had ordered a book. I did not mean to order the book. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO REVERSE THE TRANSACTION? Amazon has a 7 day return policy - it appears that B&N has no such policy. Any Suggestions?

Almose: the word "cat" was not the word on the left side of the posts. The words - "tiny Tim" are - what are they in reference to?

Thanks. Richard

I REALLY DO NEED SOME HELP/ADVICE: Late last night I was on B&N's website downloading some sample books from the author Robert Ludlum. (I like to checkout the ones that I'd like to read). One of the aspects of my disabilities (see previous post) is that my hands continually shake - its very difficult to eat/hold a book/TYPE/ and especially write. When ordering one of the "samples" my right hand jerked and before I knew it I had ordered a book. I did not mean to order the book. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO REVERSE THE TRANSACTION? Amazon has a 7 day return policy - it appears that B&N has no such policy. Any Suggestions?

Almose: the word "cat" was not the word on the left side of the posts. The words - "tiny Tim" are - what are they in reference to?

Thanks. Richard
    Richard - No B&N does not have an ebook return policy. You could call customer service and explain your situation, that you are disabled etc. and your condition and that you did not intend to purchase the book but only sample and see if they would give you a refund. Unlikely that they would but if the money is a big issue you might try that. Otherwise I would just enjoy the book.

As for the words Tiny Tim all that refers to is your member status. The more posts you make you upgrade your status. Tiny Tim is the name in the Dickens book A Christmas Carol. Knowing what it means is not essential to being a member here and most people pay no attention to it. It's just something that Rachel set up and was meant to be fun. If you look at different members their titles are different. Tiny Tim just lets us know you are a newbie and have yet to go through the rite of initiation (that's when we humiliate you and make you kiss Rachel's boots).

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast