Overpriced

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overpriced

milkshake

Default Overpriced

Nook and Nook Color accesories are really nice, but when it comes to the paycheck, they are way overpriced. I mean, they make enough money in selling the actual device itself, why do they need to bump up the prices on the accesories? It's been an ongoing question in my head for a while. I already know the answer, but I want to know what you think. Are the accesories overpriced or just right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Default Re: Overpriced

Well, milkshake, I would guess this would depend on the accessory and where you buy it... There are many options out that for things like covers/bags/lights that span a wide range of prices. Additionally, depending on where you shop, there are often promotion codes or ebates or things that will help bring down the price.

Donna

milkshake

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    Well, milkshake, I would guess this would depend on the accessory and where you buy it... There are many options out that for things like covers/bags/lights that span a wide range of prices. Additionally, depending on where you shop, there are often promotion codes or ebates or things that will help bring down the price.
    Thanks so much! I shop directly from the retailer, so that makes sense as to why they would be origionally priced.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

It really depends on your tastes too. I have a Kate Spade case, but it was given to me as a Christmas gift. I also have a Lyra light, but I purchased that myself (it resolved some conflict in the house... )

d'Artagnan

Some are overpriced, like the Kate Spade covers - I love the look, but they're pretty spendy for me. Oberon covers aren't inexpensive either, but I've found that they're my #1 choice, luckily I've been able to find used ones. Javoedge and M-edge covers are reasonably priced, and you can find deals on eBay for around $12 and up.
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

d'Artagnan

The pricing is also comparable to the other cases/bags/journals/etc BN sells. I have looked at those things in passing and they are ALL overpriced. It's not just the nook line.

Tiny Tim

you can find cheaper ones on ebay, amazon, and etsy. search nook covers

Quote Originally Posted by milkshake
    Nook and Nook Color accesories are really nice, but when it comes to the paycheck, they are way overpriced. I mean, they make enough money in selling the actual device itself, why do they need to bump up the prices on the accesories? It's been an ongoing question in my head for a while. I already know the answer, but I want to know what you think. Are the accesories overpriced or just right?
    Oh, just a note. Most of the time, they don't make as much as you'd think (profit-wise) with the actual device. Peripheral products such as cases, lights and skins are where the huge mark-up is, so that's where their largest profit-margin lies.

But I agree....ebay, etsy and such are the way to go for finding cases and bags for the Nook. (Or convincing a loved one to buy it for you during the holidays )

milkshake

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03
    Oh, just a note. Most of the time, they don't make as much as you'd think (profit-wise) with the actual device. Peripheral products such as cases, lights and skins are where the huge mark-up is, so that's where their largest profit-margin lies.

But I agree....ebay, etsy and such are the way to go for finding cases and bags for the Nook. (Or convincing a loved one to buy it for you during the holidays )
    I like the way you think.

You have to know a little about how the retail industry works. When it comes to electronics the mark up above cost is very little. So that means low profit margin. Yes Barnes and Noble have sold millions of nooks and made millions but the investment that they put in far exceeds what profit they make. So what retailers do is try to make up margin loss through accessories and add ons. That helps their overall margins quite a bit. Could they sell most of their covers for $15.00 or less? Probably but why should they? It's called free enterprise and I wouldn't have it any other way. You can look around at other options and probably find some nice products but a lot of folk prefer to have original manufacturer approved products.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast