help me choose between a Mighty Bright or a Kandle light, please!

Super Moderator

Default help me choose between a Mighty Bright or a Kandle light, please!

I've looked at both items, gone back and forth on the boards reading opinions on both items.. I just can't decide. At first I was going to go with the Mighty Bright because it seemed reasonably priced - but then I started reading that it doesn't always stay where it's supposed to (meaning the arm for the light, I think) and it's hard to find that "sweet spot" so you have to keep on adjusting as you read - that doesn't sound like fun to me!

I really like the Kandle light, it looks perfect and I read on here that it works great with the Oberon cover that I have on the way.. but it's REALLY expensive for a booklight!

AHHH.. can anyone weigh in here and give me their opinion, or if they have another booklight (I've looked at the Nook accessories links and checked those lights out) but if you have a light you LOVE please tell me about it! Who knew I'd be in such angst over a light?!
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: help me choose between a Mighty Bright or a Kandle light, please!

I have the Mighty Brite - it really does need to clip onto a cover - it wasn't stable when I tried clipping it onto the nook itself. My reason for choosing it was that it uses three AAA batteries so I can use rechargables. I'd checked out the Kandle and believe it uses button batteries. I've had my MB for almost a month, btw, and am still using the batteries it shipped with, cheapoos I'm sure. The button batteries can get pricey and I don't know how long they'd last

The MB illuminates the screen better if I have the nook proped up somewhat, almost as if I'm using a flip case. When I use it flat the light tends to make a bright spot on the screen. I like that it has two bulbs and two settings - both or just one bulb on. Can't say I love it but it's doing the job.

Super Moderator

That's interesting. I only need the reading light for when I am in bed, so I am always laying down with the book propped up to a standing position in my hands, so if it only has a problem with a brightspot while the nook is flat, that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Do you have a problem having to constantly readjust the head to find a good spot for it? That's what I am most afraid of. I think that's the most annoying thing I have found with all the previous booklights I have ever gotten - for my DTB's that is. Never got one with the nook in mind before.
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Well, I can weigh in on the other side, I have the Kandle Light and really enjoy it. Like you, I only use it in bed at night, it clips nicely to the top of my nook with or without the silicone frame. The light is bright enough to illuminate the whole reading surface, and it folds into a fairly compact package. I thought it was a bit pricey too, but the build quality is there and it's definitely sturdier than some of the cheaper book lights I have seen, and it will work with or without a cover. Hope this helps...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Mr. Darcy

I have the Mighty Bright Travelflex light:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Migh...ight+booklight

I clip it to my cover just to the left of my nook and it easily adjusts to give plenty of light without glare. Very lightweight and flexible. I looked at both the standard Mighty Bright, which looked too bulky, and the Kandle, kind of pricey, so this was a great compromise for me.

Cheryl

Super Moderator

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

I browsed around amazon and finally decided to take a chance and order this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I figure if I don't like it than it wasn't a big enough investment to get upset about (versus if I bought the Kandle and didn't like it, I'd be super ticked.) I think that if I don't like this one then I'll take a serious look at getting the Kandle... or the Mighty Bright.. which means I'll be back where I started!!

I will be sure to let everyone know how this one works for me because if it turns out to be a great purchase it sure is a an awesome price!

I also purchased a set of 25 CR2023 batteries which will work in this light and if I decide to get the Kandle they work with that as well. So I figure a good purchase either way - and yet again, can't beat the price!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions