Gauging interest in YA book club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Gauging interest in YA book club

I know that there is a current book club for Starfire Angels being led by the author, but I was wondering if there is interest in an ongoing YA book club.

If so, maybe we can get one started?

If you're interested, which genres do you prefer? What three titles would you most like to suggest for discussion? Would you prefer a two week book club or a four week book club?

What else would you suggest?
    Currently reading:
    Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
    The Girl that Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Benjamin Button

Default Re: Gauging interest in YA book club

Ragdoll and some of the others had asked about starting a YA club back when the Starfire Angels book club was first suggested. I'm sure you'll find that there's a lot of interest.

I'm interested. I'd like to do one on the Fever Series by Karen Moning eventually, but since there are 4 books (and a 5th and final one out in January), it would be a long one. But very interesting!

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

I'm interested, and I've been meaning to read the Fever series or I've been wanting to read The Hunger Games series.

Mr. Darcy

Since I posed the questions, I should probably also answer them, right?

I usually read almost any genre of book when it comes to YA though I am less inclined to read three-hanky reads or romance titles. I'm also getting a little weary of fantasy stuff though I still ready plenty of it -- I'm just getting more picky because the market seems so over saturated with it right now.

Some of my favorite YA authors include: Scott Westerfeld, Nancy Farmer, Lois Lowry, Francesca Lia Block, and John Green. Some selected favorite titles include: Looking for Alaska by John Green, The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Aside from reading YA, I also like to read adult fiction and nonfiction. I'm even more picky about my adult fiction because I spend most of my time working on YA. I love culinary nonfiction. I love fictiony memoirs and offbeat fiction.

Some of my favorite adult authors are: Margaret Atwood, John Irving, and Haruki Murakami. Some recentish favorite adult books include: In the Woods by Tana French, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Stitches by David Small, and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

From my to be read pile, I have a number of teen books I think would be excellent for discussion including: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, Hate List by Jennifer Brown, If I Stay by Gail Forman, Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr, Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes, The Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, The Maze Runner by James Dashner, Mockingbird by Kathryne Erskine, and The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (tho this is admittedly more a children's book than a teen book).

I think that I would prefer four week cycles to two week cycles unless we select a book that's particularly short. That's just my opinion.
    Currently reading:

Quote Originally Posted by ktyler
    Since I posed the questions, I should probably also answer them, right?

I usually read almost any genre of book when it comes to YA though I am less inclined to read three-hanky reads or romance titles. I'm also getting a little weary of fantasy stuff though I still ready plenty of it -- I'm just getting more picky because the market seems so over saturated with it right now.

Some of my favorite YA authors include: Scott Westerfeld, Nancy Farmer, Lois Lowry, Francesca Lia Block, and John Green. Some selected favorite titles include: Looking for Alaska by John Green, The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Aside from reading YA, I also like to read adult fiction and nonfiction. I'm even more picky about my adult fiction because I spend most of my time working on YA. I love culinary nonfiction. I love fictiony memoirs and offbeat fiction.

Some of my favorite adult authors are: Margaret Atwood, John Irving, and Haruki Murakami. Some recentish favorite adult books include: In the Woods by Tana French, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Stitches by David Small, and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

From my to be read pile, I have a number of teen books I think would be excellent for discussion including: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, Hate List by Jennifer Brown, If I Stay by Gail Forman, Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr, Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes, The Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, The Maze Runner by James Dashner, Mockingbird by Kathryne Erskine, and The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (tho this is admittedly more a children's book than a teen book).

I think that I would prefer four week cycles to two week cycles unless we select a book that's particularly short. That's just my opinion.
    I have the one about the Forest of Hands and teeth and the previous book or something. but I'd be interested in it. um..I have lots on my Nook I think I'd totally read with people
    Vampire Tattoo Goddess

Mr. Darcy

So is this something we are going to pursue or not? I know there haven't been a ton of replies, but gthere's definitely an interest and we can always pick up people as we go along. If the original poster is no longer interested in hosting, I'd be more than happy to do so.

Mr. Darcy

I'd like to do a poll soon to see which title we should select for our first attempt. If you have a book to suggest, please reply here or PM me.

I'm going to suggest books from different genres including some that aren't the first in a series.
    Currently reading:

Mr. Darcy

Okay just posted a new poll in this forum.
    Currently reading:

Mr. Darcy

We now have a child forum for the YA book club. Hop over to introduce yourself!

We'll be reading In the Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan in the month of December.

Currently reading:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast