Cloning Internal Nook microSD Card

Tom Sawyer

Default Cloning Internal Nook microSD Card

IF....I wanted to copy the micro SD card that comes with the Nook and place said copy onto a larger SD card, how would I go about that?
    Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
    14For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cloning Internal Nook microSD Card

I thought this question deserved it's own thread.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

I guess it would depend on where you purchased the content. Sideloaded content would be fairly easy, I think, to transfer. Just plug your nook in with the SD card still in the slot, create a folder for the content, and copy everything over using calibre or something. Once you put the new SD card into the nook, you could then copy the content back to the nook, using the same method.

*I'm basing this off of my nook's current screensaver: "If your nook also has a microSD card, eject that drive, too." So I'm naturally assuming the nook and the card show up on the computer as different drives.

B&N content, I'm not sure. I suppose you could just re-d/l it from your online library, since you already purchased it. Right?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

I assume that the original poster is wanting to put a larger INTERNAL (not the external "extra" one) SD card, and he's not talking about just transferring files. I'm assuming he/she perhaps wants a lot of storage, in addition to adding an external micro sd card (I'm also assuming the original poster knows he/she can add an external sd card).

I don't know if you can "clone" the internal card, but the "old" rooting (not softrooting) instructions tell you how to remove the internal sd card and root the nook that way.

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting

It's at least a step in the right direction.

3josh

I haven't done this but the old rooting instructions looks like a good start.

After you use dd to copy the SD card to a file, you should be able to use dd to copy the backup file image to a different (larger) microSD. Then use resize2fs while unmounted to tell the partition to expand to the full size of the new SD.

There are a few reasons why this might not work (SD vs SDHC?) but that's the process if it will
    Good luck!
    -3josh

Mad Hatter

3josh, welcome to NOOKBOARDS!

Donna

3josh

Thanks!

I found some more info. It appears others have tried this and so far it hasn't worked.

From http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Reversing

SD card swap (different size)
    Several people have tried to replace the memory card with a larger one to no avail. The system refuses to boot. Some have hypothesized that it's due to 2GB being SD and 4GB+ being SDHC.

-3josh