Access data partition without softrooting?

Tom Sawyer

Default Access data partition without softrooting?

Ok, this may sound weird .

I'm holding off on softrooting (my budget can't absorb a potentially bricked nook ). The thing is, I'd really love to get my hands on the data partition (that is trivially accessed using adb for a softrooted nook). See http://www.robotskirts.com/2009/12/1...-microsd-card/ and the filelist it links to (that I can't wait to explore ). I've played with the AndroidSDK to try to get it to work with my unrooted nook to no avail. (Oh, the reason for all this is to see if I can find where the annotation data for books is stored and write something to get it out maybe). I've even tried a neat little program that people use to mount ext2 and ext3 partitions in a windows environment but only the usual "/system" partition ever shows up.

Any ideas folks? The basic question is this: how do I get access to the other partitions on the nook without softrooting?
    Alternatively, since I have just one purpose at the moment, is there any other way to get access to annotation data on the nook? I imagine its on some SQL database but the intertubes are silent on this note

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Default Re: Access data partition without softrooting?

@ thrawn_aj: I have no clue (but tend to suspect not) if this is possible.

I am definitely not as technically apt as most on NOOKBOARDS, so give people a couple of days to respond.

Donna

Tiny Tim

As far as i can tell there is something going on at a low level that is preventing this from happening.

I have looked an my nook from a linux host system (ubuntu 10.4) and only 1 partition shows up fro /dev/sdX.
    I have not applied the soft root to my system, or take my nook apart and root in the original manner. I am curious to see what partaions actually look like on the sd card in the system

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the reassurance Donna .

And thanks for checking on Linux jbloodwo . I was afraid it was some low level switch that disables access. Oh well. I could always softroot if things don't happen in the next update (the listing I linked to in my original post was obtained from rooted nook - the ADB over usb procedure is actually explained clearly on nookdevs. Apparently, rooting it flips that switch and allows access). I'm nearly certain the annotations are just sitting there on some innocuous file in the "data" partition .