Rooting preloaded 1.5

Oliver

Default Rooting preloaded 1.5

I have a nook with firmware 1.5 pre-installed, so downgrading to 1.4.x is not possible for me. I searched around and did find http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Rooting_New...ng_vanilla_1.5 but that's the only place I found (in non russian). Is this a confirmed way? Is there a way to setup my own http server with the correct files, so I don't have to use the ip address mentioned there? Is there anyone who used this to root a nook with firmware 1.5 installed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

forehand

Default Re: Rooting preloaded 1.5

I am in the same boat. I am going to try that route in the next few days.

Oliver

When you did, could you post your results here? I'm very interested

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Small update, I tried the method at http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Rooting_New...ng_vanilla_1.5 and it worked .

After checking the apk returned by the Russian server I decided to try it. I setup a DNS server redirecting *.barnesandnoble.com to the Russian server and setup a DHCP server pointing the clients to that DNS server. Then I let my nook try to search for updates and pressed the home button. Then my nook gave me the choice to go to the Home menu or to go to the Nook Root, I chose Nook Root. In Nook Root I just pressed Start rooting which did give an error, but I could still use adb over wifi . After setting up adb to start at boot I did remove the net.runserver.nootRoot application, so when I press home my nook won't give me the choice between Home and Nook Root anymore.

Oliver

I did this too. Loaded it up with the alternate app chooser (or whatever it's called - it lets you add icons and scrolls them along the bottom). Problem is, the battery life is crap. If I leave it on standby over night it will be dead in the morning. Yes, it's in airplane mode. I made sure adb was stopped in Wifi Locker, and used the task manager app to look at what was running and killed everything that I didn't think I needed, and it didn't help. Anyone else having this issue?

Problem is, I didn't have the thing long enough before rooting it to know if it was bad when I got it or if the rooting started the problem. I just got a new battery so if that fixes the issue I'll know it was the battery I got (which seems like a possibility since I got it refurbished).