Nook Browser Broken

Oliver

Default Nook Browser Broken

I have a nook with software 1.5.0, and serial number 10101xxx. I tried to root it using the method at http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_1.5_on_any_hardware. It worked up to when i typed
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb connect 192.168.1.101
    ADB responded with
    Code:
    unable to connect to 192.168.2.101:5555
    Now, when i try to start the browser, it says
    Code:
    Browser Exited Unexpectedly
    and returns to the nook menu. I cannot access the browser even in airplane mode.
    I reset the nook to factory settings by following these steps:
    ◦Turn off your nook by holding down the Power button.
    ◦With it off, press and hold the power button until the screen flickers black for a moment THEN CONTINUE to hold it for another 15 seconds. You won't see anything happen at this point - but the animated arrows will stop typically.
    ◦Repeat the above step 6 more times in a row. YES, Six is the magic number that tells the nook to do a restore.
    ◦Now press the Power Button once to turn on the nook.
    ◦The touch screen will go black with a description of what it's doing (restoring). This may take several minutes - do NOT stop it.
    ◦To update to the latest software version, press the "My Library" button. While in the "My B&N Library" area tap "Check for new B&N content". It will get the new firmware and start updating the latest software. Again, this will take a while like above steps.
    It reset the nook, but the browser still does not work.
    Is there a way to fix the browser?
    Also, is there a different way to root it?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Default Re: Nook Browser Broken

Hello. I don't know if you still monitor this board, but I'm having the same browser crash problem. I've tried power cycling, resetting and re-flashing the firmware, but nothing has worked so far. Have you had any luck getting your browser to work again?

Oliver

I still have not fixed it. I tried downloading the 1.5 update, factory reset, etc. and it has not fixed it.
    One interesting thing is that i do not need to reset it 6 times to factory restore. I only need to reset it 3 times. Don't know if that is related, but it may help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

I had the same problem. I was looking on another board and ran across this procedure.

I will say one more time. Before you do this, make sure you have backups of all your material. This procedure completely refomats the drive and reinstalls the OS YOU *WILL* lose everything!

10:15:32 AM : AgentKurt: After reviewing the issue, I feel this problem can be solved by reinstalling your NOOK's software and resetting it to factory settings. Before performing this procedure, I suggest that you backup any sideloaded material, pictures, or files you have saved on your device. While performing this procedure, please let me know if you have any questions, and let me know when the process is complete so we can continue on to the next step.

To perform a factory fallback on your device:

1. Make sure your NOOK has been turned off by pressing the power button for 5-10 seconds.

2. Next, you will need to power off NOOK 6 consecutive times. To do this, hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.

3. Once 20 seconds have past, let go, and press and hold the power button again for another 20 seconds.

4. After 6 cycles are completed, power on NOOK by tapping the power button.

5. Upon power up you will see “Installing Software Update.” on the E-ink Display. Your NOOK will now re-format, and reinstall the original software version.

6. A progress bar will be displayed on the LCD; progress will read as follows: Mounting Partitions, Restoring Factory Fallback, Verifying Update.

7. After about 3 minutes, the progress will complete and your NOOK should now start up as it did the first time you used it.

This appears to work. It certainly reformatted the disk and reinstalled the software. When I got this (as a refurb) it had 1.7 installed. After this procedure, it came back with 1.3. But, the browser works!!

Oliver

I tried that, but I still have 1.7 (the nook came with 1.5). The update screen comes up after only 3 resets. It says:
    Code:
    Checking for Updates...
    but it does not install anything. It looks like it is not finding any updates, so it does nothing.

Oliver

Question Anyone ever find a solution for broken browser?

After 2+ years I'm still a happy user of my classic Nook - only had to replace it while still under warranty - but never found the web browser much use. I've been updated to 1.7 for quite a while and recently thought I'd try rooting it per nookdevs.com instructions to try some of the apps available.

Well, I've had the same experience as the thread originator. Thought I was gonna get it done it was gong so smoothly - then in the last step of trying connecting to the nook through adb I got the identical results. When I derergistered - reset to the factory - and reregistered I was still at 1.7 wtill with a broken browser. For grins, I kept cycling through the "open web app - watch the screen cycle back to "brower closed unexpectedly" notice - hit OK - and do it all over again - probably several dozen times to no avail. Once in awhile, I'd get a flash of the main screen where you can press "Go to" and normally get the option of home, favorite, etc at the bottom biut in this case it was so fast I usually ended up contacting the "WIFI" selector and started again from the main menu at Web Browser.

I primrily only use it to read and sometimes purhase so no browser is not too painful except it is sooooo important if you want to root the thing and have4 access to some of the useful apps. At some point I may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to a Nook Tablet or similar but it would be nice to eke more use from this one.

So, if there is a reasonable method of getting the broswer back - or rooting some other way - I'd certainly like to hear from you...... anyone....

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

I just registered to ask my own question and saw this one here. I've been working on some old gen1 Nooks for my employer to remove the browser functionality from them (They're to be loaned to members of the public and for liability reasons they can't have internet access). They all have 1.5 on them and while attempting to root the first one I ran into the same problem others in this thread have--after using ratc.bin to give myself root access I either couldn't reconnect through adb or would reconnect but be unable to push init.rc to the device. It turns out that adb was connecting to the Nook after rooting, but within a couple of seconds the Nook would crash. The solution that worked for me was to use the batch file linked at the bottom of this page. Once I had run ratc.bin and stopped my adb server, I ran push.bat and gave it my Nook's IP. It started spamming the console with failed connections. I then did the browser crash trick on the Nook until the batch file was able to connect, at which point it immediately pushed the init file and my Nook was properly rooted. I rebooted it and installed the Mynook.ru launcher, which seems to have a working browser.

I know it's been a while since this thread saw any action, but maybe some other hopeful rooter in the future will stumble across it and have an easier time of things.