Development Guidelines

Oliver

Default Development Guidelines

I am a very experienced Java programmer and would like to develop an app for the inexpensive B&W WiFi-only version of the Nook. Is there a simple introduction that someone could point me towards? Do I develop an 'Android' app or JavaME? Do I need any special hardware to connect my development system to the Nook? Is there a reason B&N is only supporting the Nook Color with their SDK?

Thanks in advance
    Ron

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Development Guidelines

The official Android SDK from Google includes a development platform called Eclipse.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

I haven't used it myself, but I think you emulate an Android device inside of it for testing your app. No special hardware needed. You'll need a software image of a nook to do this however. Nookdevs.com may have some info/resources on setting up a dev environment, past that... Google. As far as I know the code is java, but for specifics the best advice I can give is to hit BN.com and look for a basic Android programming book.

BN is only officially supporting development on the color because the color is not being marketed as an ereader. It's a tablet that's designed for readers. Tablets need apps. The e-ink nooks are ereaders, and therefore don't need anything extra.