Default Update Trouble

Hello.
    I am posting this here because no one in the "regular" support
    will give a straight answer.
    The problem:
    An update hit my wifes' nook. Unfortunately, this "update" wiped
    out her ENTIRE image. We had to reload every book she had, and
    that in a considerable amount. It also wiped out ALL of her bookshelves,
    and there is no way to recover that, so she had to start all over again arranging all
    of her books. To say that she was upset is an understatement. The support
    people made it worse by being rude to her when she simply asked if they could fix it.
    Their answer was to tell her that sometimes the updates will do that and that there is
    nothing to be done.
    That answer is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

My question:
    Is it possible for me to connect the nook to my computer, have it treated like my other storage devices,
    and then use Norton Ghost to create a back up image of her nook?
    In this way, I will be able to re-image it when this happens again.
    I know this sounds petty, but my wife has very few wants, but this nook was one of them.
    I would like to be able to solve this problem for her.
    Thank you for your response.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Update Trouble

One thing you could do is softroot it. I believe that with the original Nook there is a way to stop the B&N updates from occurring. I don't recall anyone being able to image the Nook drive but it might be possible. We'll have to let some other tech-head answer that one for you.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Puck

It's definitely possible, I just don't know if it's feasible.

There's a thing called Clockwork Recovery. It's kind of a very small stripped down version of Android that (for the purposes of this discussion) is only used to install custom versions of Android (like CM7) to the main memory of the nook color. Clockwork also has the ability to backup your existing image.

The problem is that, like I mentioned, Clockwork is used for the nook color. I haven't seen it used on a 1st gen nook, or even heard of someone asking about trying it.

To be honest I'm not even sure that if you got Clockwork to back up your wife's nook it would grab the info you want to save. I don't know where the nook stores info on shelves, so I don't know if it's something that would be included in the backup that Clockwork does.

Someone on the forums at xda-developers.com might be able to give you more info. They only have a nook color specific forum, but it's probably the best place to ask.

Something else I just remembered. Do you have one of the original 1st gens? Like you bought it within the first couple months of it coming out? I seem to remember that in the first ones the internal memory wasn't soldered onto the motherboard like it is now. It was just another little slot like the one for the add-in card, but you'd have to take the nook apart to get to it. If that's the case with yours you can always just remove the internal memory and clone it to another card on a PC. I also seem to remember someone doing this to upgrade the internal memory to a larger card.

Wish I could be more helpful, but that's all I've got. Hopefully this'll at least give you a starting point.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Seriously? There's no way to recover your bookshelves? What if you get a replacement Nook? You have to start all over? You can't download your shelves from B&N to the replacement??
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

Oliver

That is what I was told. There is nothing that can be done for bookshelves.
    While the account holds all the info as to what book you own,
    my wife has to re-download ALL of them 1 at a time.

Seems to me that this is a HUGE bug that they should remedy.

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by grouchysmurf
    That is what I was told. There is nothing that can be done for bookshelves.
    While the account holds all the info as to what book you own,
    my wife has to re-download ALL of them 1 at a time.

Seems to me that this is a HUGE bug that they should remedy.
    Well that's true of all readers, I think - you can't bulk download. But what I was wondering is whether B&N keeps a "record" of Bookshelves. If you get a new Kindle, you can tell the new one to retrieve the Collections you've created - or even the Collections anyone else on your account has created. Then when you download Amazon-purchased books from your archives, they've already been tagged for those Collections and will automatically go back into their proper collections. Of course, that won't work for sideloaded books since Amazon doesn't have any record of those in their Archives, and I'm sure B&N doesn't either.

I'd think/hope that it works that way for Nook as well. But that's why I asked the question - as my dad always told me, never assume anything.
    em

Oliver

All the info I have gathered says that there is a record
    of your books, but NO record as to how you have them arranged.

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by grouchysmurf
    All the info I have gathered says that there is a record
    of your books, but NO record as to how you have them arranged.
    Well, that's pretty sucky. It'll be interesting to see what happens as people get their new Nooks - will they have to start from scratch with their Shelves? Hopefully they'll let us know.

If you're right, that's another solid point on the board for Kindle.
    em

Puck

Barnes and Noble just needs to hire the folks at Nookdevs...lol. Their rooted library and calibre is the bomb. I can grab a new nook and thro the exact library with tags (shelves) anytime I want. you can have your Nook and Calibre on your comp all synced up. I hear so many complaints about Shelves (I haven't used it myself) but this is new that you cant even recover it?? thats weak if you dont get a solution especially if you have hundreds of books.
    Now Reading - Riptide - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
    Goodreads User koolkat67