folders or tagging?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default folders or tagging?

One of the big complaints on the Kindle is the fact that it does not have folders or tagging. It appears that the nook will not be any better in this aspect right now. Of course it could happen in the future, but it's rather disappointing that Barnes and Noble missed this HUGE Kindle gripe in their design.

Is this a deal breaker for you?
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: folders or tagging?

The lack of tagging could be a deal breaker for me. If I'm not able to tag my Nook books like I can now with the content for my Sony eReader how am I supposed to find anything on the device? I just want it to support ebook tagging, much like we can tag our digital music in iTunes. Folders I don't really care about. It's not the file structure on the device that helps me find my content, but the tags.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Administrator

While it's not a deal breaker for me, I too would prefer tagging over folders as it allows for multiple tags. This is one of the reasons I prefer Google mail over regular email. I can tag an email with 5 different things in Google mail whereas with regular email I have to put it in one folder and one folder only. Hopefully tagging will be an easy add for them.

Rachel

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Hugo

I've never used an eReader so can you please explain in more detail what the functionality of tagging is? It's my understanding from the press releases that they will be offering even the ability to take notes and highlights, and be able to access that from not just the nook but any other eReader platform supported. Like reading on your PC with notes, then later access that exact same book with notes on your nook. That sees pretty flexible, so can you explain what tagging is for all us newbies.

Administrator

When we talk about tagging, we mainly mean being able to mark a book as "horror" or "romance" so if you want to find all your romance books, you would have a list of your tags, click on the Romance tag and all those books you tagged would come up. Now if you had folders, you could really only put a book in one folder, so if you say wanted to have a book marked by author and genre for searching capabilities, that would be hard with folders. But with a tag, I could mark a book as "Romance" and "Diana Gabladon" and be able to search on either of those tags later on.

Now the difference between tags and notes, is, yes I could go into a book now and leave a note say on the first page that says "Romance" and be able to search for that later. But the problem is, when I do a search for Romance, it is not only going to pull up that note I made, but every instance where that word shows up in any books I own. This could be a lot with a common word like that. With an actual tag, it would only search the tags not every word in every book. Now some people get around this by putting a note in their books like "xromance", and searching on that. Since it has the x obviously that word would not be found in books, so you will end up only pulling the books with that note. This is a good work-around for now, but not ideal.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have other questions!!
    Rachel

You beat me too it, Rachel.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    I just want it to support ebook tagging, much like we can tag our digital music in iTunes. Folders I don't really care about.
    I like folders too. For instance, on my Sony reader I have a folder called "queue" and I just put my new books in there (in the order I plan on reading them). When I'm done reading them, I move them out of that folder. I prefer this over tagging each new book as "unread".

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC142
    I like folders too. For instance, on my Sony reader I have a folder called "queue" and I just put my new books in there (in the order I plan on reading them). When I'm done reading them, I move them out of that folder. I prefer this over tagging each new book as "unread".
    I agree a combination might be nice, I would like to have a folder for my samples mainly, but like the idea of tags for the ability to use multiples of them on each item.

Rachel

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    I agree a combination might be nice, I would like to have a folder for my samples mainly, but like the idea of tags for the ability to use multiples of them on each item.

Rachel
    Yes, I'm in the folders and tagging group. Tagging allows you to find something by filtering which is essentially searching through a database whereas folders allow for browsing through a collection without searching a database, both are always desired in any UI that provides access to a collection when the collection can be organized hierarchically by one or more attributes.

To me they aren't simply two different approaches to finding content. I use folders to make things more aesthetically pleasing as well as to help me locate content. Tagging doesn't require any organization, everything can be thrown into the same 'bucket'. This is why tagging alone isn't good enough. Can you imagine if the cover browser on the nook was the only way to find your content? It wouldn't be practical to have more than a few books on the nook if this were the case.

I doubt the nook will have folders but I expect it will at least have tagging (of a sort), probably more like filtering by genre, author, and perhaps a few other common attributes. This isn't a deal breaker for me because of the android platform. It won't be long before you'll be overwhelmed with options for sorting, categorizing, and locating your content.

I think I read somewhere it has exactly as Rachel said, that the nook will have sorting by genre, author etc.

Cheers,
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast