Rule Number One: Keep it Legal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Rule Number One: Keep it Legal

I won't have many rules for this portion of the forum, I only ask that the things that are shared here are legal. If I feel that they are not, I, or my moderators, reserve the right to remove any and all such threads. If it can be done legally, please feel free to share so we can all enjoy!

Disclaimer: We will do our best to review the sites, mods, and hacks that are posted here to be sure they seem legal and within the standards of this board. However, until Barnes & Noble officially allows for apps on the nook (which they have not yet), downloading and installing any of these *may* void your warranty, brick your device, and/or make it otherwise unusable. Nookboards is not responsible for anything that happens as a result of installing anything found on this portion of the board. Please download responsibly!

Thanks!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

mfaine

Default Re: Rule Number One: Keep it Legal

I understand and agree, though that sure does limit the usefulness of this category

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mfaine
    I understand and agree, though that sure does limit the usefulness of this category
    Well I wouldn’t consider a hack “illegal”, it may void your warranty, but I don’t think B&N will sue you over hacking their system (unless you were trying to make money off the hack maybe). Something like the font hack or the screensaver hack that people created for Kindle.

However, sharing ways to strip DRM off books, thus infringing on copyrights etc… Or illegal file sharing ... Or a hack to download books for free (when they shouldn't be free) ... Things that would hold up in a court of law will not be allowed here.

So hopefully within those guidelines, this will be a useful resource for those of us that want to get more out of our nook, but in a legal way.

Now of course if someone can show that a hack is illegal, then I may change this view. As stated, I want people that come to this board and use things off of here, to feel like what they are using is not illegal.

Thanks!
    Rachel

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    ... Now of course if someone can show that a hack is illegal, then I may change this view. As stated, I want people that come to this board and use things off of here, to feel like what they are using is not illegal...
    Unfortunately DRM has changed things to where just about everything is illegal, beyond using the product as the manufacturer "allows".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._Copyright_Act

http://www.eff.org/issues/dmca

I am a big opponent of DRM in all forms and while I'd never post anything that would bring trouble to myself or others I do want people to understand that it is a cause worth fighting. We need to return the 'fair use' laws back to the consumers.

DRM and the DMCA have never done anything to prevent anyone from pirating anything - it is simply ineffective against anyone with even a modicum of technical knowledge and an internet connection. However, it does limit our speech in forums such as this, it also prevents us from making worthwhile modifications to devices and content that we paid for legally. The only people who are affected by DRM are people who are the good customers, the law abiding citizens. Those people who have no problem breaking the law will continue to do so and will not be hindered in any way by DRM.

Sorry, I feel like I hijacked your thread to get on my anti-DRM soapbox. I do apologize. It just seems that so many don't understand that there really isn't' a clear distinction between legal and illegal. "Illegal" can mean anything the manufacture wants it to mean.

Though it pains me to say it, since I believe in free speech, I'd say when in doubt take the conversation to a PM.

-Mark

Administrator

Mark,

I understand your point of view and I agree, DRM issues can be a big one, and I have no problem with you posting that information here. While I will not allow hacks that circumvent DRM here since it IS illegal right now, I do think all of us need to be informed about DRM and perhaps help make a change in the thinking about it.

Having said that, it is my hope that this technical aspect of the forum will be about more than hacks or that the hacks that people do create will not circumvent DRM (like a folders or tags hack would be great!!). As Prohobo showed in his request for this board, there is more to the technical side of the nook than just modifications. I am sure once the nook is out people will have all sorts of questions and suggestions that do not only include how to hack their device.

It is my hope that computer-savvy folks like yourself will then be around to help others and we can all learn from each other in this way.

Cheers!
    Rachel

Cracking open the Nook and messing with the OS (Android) is certainly with in the realm of legal. You own it and can do whatever you want. Hey, the operating system is OpenSource with a SDK - which encourages programers/hackers/tech to play, improve, and develope new apps and changes. I think of the Nook as just a computer running Andriod, with the ereader capabilities.

However, I would agree that any applications or changes to the Nook that could be used for narfarious activity (stripping DRM) should be banned from the boards.

As do I. On the question of legal, does anyone know the copyright details involving that prioperty (how do you spell that word?!) format the kindle uses? I tired to understand that mambo-jambo, but no luck. I think basically, it entails that once you've downloaded a file you may not put it on the internet for sharing. Anyone help enlighten me?

JiahuiShi

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    However, until Barnes & Noble officially allows for apps on the nook (which they have not yet), downloading and installing any of these *may* void your warranty, brick your device, and/or make it otherwise unusable.
    according to the guys (and girls?) of nookdevs.com
    they havent encountered a bricked nook they couldnt fix

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by BageDevimo
    As do I. On the question of legal, does anyone know the copyright details involving that prioperty (how do you spell that word?!) format the kindle uses? I tired to understand that mambo-jambo, but no luck. I think basically, it entails that once you've downloaded a file you may not put it on the internet for sharing. Anyone help enlighten me?
    Yeah. Basically the Amazon terms are that once you've paid for a book, you can download it, keep it, and view it as much as you like on your own device. You cannot in any way give anyone a copy of the file, you cannot make any changes to the file, and you cannot try or help, ask, or encourage others to bypass the DRM.

Legal by which countries laws?
    Not all countries have the same laws.

My country is Thailand and the laws are very different to America.
    For example, publishing anything on a forum that picks fault with the King, the royal family or the Thai government, will have your servers siezed and the site owner in jail.
    But they don't give a stuff about American copyright laws or DRM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast