Android SDK - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Android SDK

Default Re: Android SDK

“We haven’t announced anything regarding putting out an SDK or putting out a developer environment,” said William J. Lynch, president of Barnes & Noble.com. But he said B&N would be open to this if enough customers wanted it. Why not oblige him?
    http://www.teleread.org/2009/10/21/b...line-biz-prez/

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

ha- I just came here to post the same link, but you beat me to it.

That's very cool news.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    I do wonder about this. Is Android really a marketable asset? Does the average person, such as my mother or yours, who might buy a Kindle, or Nook, or Sony really care what runs the device as long as it works and they can get the ebooks they want? Cuss & Discuss.
    haha. Well... I think it is IF they take advantage of its capabilities (and by that, I mean allowing 3rd party apps). They wouldn't market it as: "hey moms, it runs Android!", but they would (should) market it as: "hey mom's, it's the only ebook reader that let's you run a million apps that, so far, do all these wonderful things... play exclusive, interactive books with your kids, manage your recipies, set a timer so you don't get lost in your book and forget to go to work, etc."

They could kill Kindle and Sony with this, if they were to just execute it right. They're not proving to be especially smart about some of their decisions so far though (no gift cards, no member discounts, etc.).

To further the argument, just imagine how cool (and appealing) it would be to read the Wall Street Journal while a stock ticker scrolls through the bottom display, or, while vacationing, whip out your "Things to Do in London" book while you have a location-sensitive app display nearby entertainment, resturants, etc. And, with the apps being 3rd party, they don't even have to do the development. There's so much they could do with this if they'd just be smart about it.

Agreed. I also think there is a lot of potential in Nook just waiting to be unlocked and it is because it run Android. B&N had to be smart about it, and market it right. I do think they should not let just anybody develop 3rd-party apps for it, but without going down the road Apple has with their iTunes App Store I'm not sure how they would restrict development to maintain quality.

Because that is one of the biggest issues with allowing app development, I think. The quality of the apps. If the majority of them suck, like they do for WinCE/Windows Mobile, then what is the point of even allowing 3rd-party development? B&N would need to maintain a decent level of quality for these apps so Nook doesn't get a bad reputation as a bug ridden failure.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Agreed also, but I don't think restrict apps at all is a good idea. Thats defeating the purpose of open source. I mean sure, quality would be good, but what can we do about it? Simple: Don't get the rubbish applications.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12