Android SDK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android SDK

Default Android SDK

I personally don't think the problem is goign to be developing stuff in Android since they already have detailed support and SDK for developers. I think the problem is "when" and "who" is going to figure out the way to get INTO the Nook. It only took a week before we started seeing the iPhone cracked open, with Andriod getting lots of tech support I think we could see the Nook make some head way quickly.

But there is a variable to consider....

Will the Nook attract the IT/Tech/Hacker/Programmer community? So far the other eReaders (running on Linux) have not seen a big break out, but then again they also don't have the secondary screen.

I would think that if (actually when) the Nook get's cracked, that any Android apps, changes, etc will only take affect on the smaller touch screen - as I am not sure at this stage how the ink screen is being driven beyond some probably push/call commands.

Will be interesting....and I am looking forward to seeing what will become of the Nook beyond the simple reader.

ANDROID SDK
    http://developer.android.com/index.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

mfaine

Default Re: Android SDK

B&N still holds all the DMCA cards. You can build an android based application, or any nook based application but that doesn't mean you won't get a take-down letter from B&N.

For example I had considered a web site where a virtual lending market could be established. So far you can only lend a book once but what if I had a website that facilitated the transaction in exchange for something valuable or just for the ability to borrow a different book. Legal? I don't deny it is exploiting a feature in the nook but who exactly does B&N define as 'friend'

-Mark

While I agree with you ProHobo, who knows what B&N have done to Andriod?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I figured that the iPhone was hacked in it's first week of release, same with the XBOX, Playstation and others.

I look at the Nook as just a peice of technology (like a laptop) using an open-source OS (Andriod). I certainly do NOT plan on creating some DRM stripping software or illegal applications. But if someone developed a web-brower, gave full access to the OS, or other aaps - I would certainly be VERY interested.

One of my reasons for buying the Nook is because of Android and the hope that we can pry it open to see what we can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BageDevimo
    While I agree with you ProHobo, who knows what B&N have done to Andriod?
    Agreed. Even though Android is is "open source" B&N may have made modifications to the OS they consider proprietary and will not release. They may have their version of the OS locked down with a EULA, and/or other security measures they've built into Nook

So, we'll just have to wait and see. I would not just assume we will be able to hack the Nook OS just because it is based on Android.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu

So, we'll just have to wait and see. I would not just assume we will be able to hack the Nook OS just because it is based on Android.

I would wager that someone out there will hack it open, seeing that the iPhone, Xbox, Playstation, PSP, DS, etc have all been hacked.

Let's just hope they get it open so we can start messing around with Android. I think they will - I have hope.

I have no doubt someone will hack Nook OS. But what I'm saying is that B&N may not allow legal hacking and app development. They may prohibit it in their EULA and they may lock down Nook OS to try to make that kind of thing more difficult.

Just because they chose Android to power Nook doesn't necessarily mean they want other people hacking it up. That's why I say we'll have to wait and see.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

I wonder, though, if someone can/will write their own implementation of Andoid for Nook. The DMCA may prevent us from legally reverse engineering some of the stuff B&N has put on there, but I don't think there is any legal problem with replacing it entirely. In that cases, B&N might ban the device from using the B&N web store (just like Microsoft would ban a modded 360 from Xbox Live), but I don't think they could go after you legally. Once someone gains root access to Nook, I think we'll see all sorts of stuff start to happen.

Of course, B&N would know this, so hopefully they intend on opening it up for developers' apps. And why not? Choosing to use Android as the OS is a marketable asset they have that none of their competitors have. It's got an internet connection and an Android OS, so why not let it access the Andorid Marketplace?

Ultimately, you're right though (we'll just have to wait and see).

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC142
    Choosing to use Android as the OS is a marketable asset they have that none of their competitors have.
    I do wonder about this. Is Android really a marketable asset? Does the average person, such as my mother or yours, who might buy a Kindle, or Nook, or Sony really care what runs the device as long as it works and they can get the ebooks they want? Cuss & Discuss.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Barnes & Noble ereader rumored to run Android apps

http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/s...pps/2009-10-23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast