Dream Applications - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    mfaine

Default Re: Dream Applications

Quote Originally Posted by BageDevimo
    Wow, loving the email thing. I'd be fairly easy also! Wow. GOOD IDEA!
    Yes, but it would probably require B&N's willing involvement or another third party investment. On the server side it would require email servers and a converter services. The nook itself would require an email polling application with the ability to automatically download file attachments (fetchmail and procmail).

It could almost all be done using out-of-the-box open source software with minimal configuration. However, scaling it would be a different story.

-Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

This thread should probably be moved to the tech section....

great ideas....

Actually, there's an app sort of like that on my G1 phone (also Android, obviously). It's called "Any Clip". You go to the website (bookmark recommended for convenience), paste whatever text and click a button. Then, you open the app on your phone and there's your text. It'll even parse out phone numbers and addresses. It's a super-convenient way to get text from a PC to the phone. I'd think this could be pretty easily ported to be used by the Nook.

http://anyclip.blueslabs.com/

[EDIT]
    FYI: The phone generates a short, random string that you enter into the website (via the PC) the first time you use it. It gets saved in a cookie so you don't have to do this every time. I'd imagine that after you save the text on the server, the phone just makes a simple SOAP call (passing the random string as an argument) to get the data.
    [/EDIT]

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC142
    Actually, there's an app sort of like that on my G1 phone (also Android, obviously). It's called "Any Clip". You go to the website (bookmark recommended for convenience), paste whatever text and click a button. Then, you open the app on your phone and there's your text. It'll even parse out phone numbers and addresses. It's a super-convenient way to get text from a PC to the phone. I'd think this could be pretty easily ported to be used by the Nook.

http://anyclip.blueslabs.com/

[EDIT]
    FYI: The phone generates a short, random string that you enter into the website (via the PC) the first time you use it. It gets saved in a cookie so you don't have to do this every time. I'd imagine that after you save the text on the server, the phone just makes a simple SOAP call (passing the random string as an argument) to get the data.
    [/EDIT]
    That does sound good. All that is needed is a email client or simple browser on the nook. The server side application would probably support the nook with little, if any, modification.

-Mark

mfaine

Here are two more ideas for applications:

Have you ever been responding to an email or writing a research paper and vaguely recalled something in a book you recently read that was relevant to the subject at hand but you couldn't remember anything more about it.

Research Assistant ™ indexes the full text of all of your eBooks and also does quote mining (finds quoted text and author attribution and stores in a separate index).

Now you can search (probably on the PC, but maybe also on the nook) through your library to find that bit of information you could not recall or that quote you can only paraphrase badly. Of course you can filter by subject or any tags you already have on your eBooks.

Any information you find can be sent to a specific location in the nook dedicated to research.

This might be harder to do but suppose you are about to buy that book from B&N using the simple one touch but next to the place where the price is displayed you also saw prices for Amazon, Books-a-Million, or others. A substantially lower price might make protect you from impulse buys and if the price is substantial it might be worth side-loading. It could also warn you that this book is available in a compatible eBook format at your local library.

On a related note, does anyone here know about Taxonomies and how they are used in archives and content management? Do you see a possible application here? I think that I do. If there was an 'official' taxonomy to be used for tagging categories and each book could be classified by a server using this taxonomy then everyone could have one set of tags that is common to everyone using the book and another set of tags that are user specific.

mfaine

How about a barcode reader? More hardware than software but it would require a software application as well. You could scan any book's ISBN number and pull it up on your nook.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mfaine
    How about a barcode reader? More hardware than software but it would require a software application as well. You could scan any book's ISBN number and pull it up on your nook.

LOVE IT!! Maybe this could get cuecat back in business!

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Tom Sawyer

Or even without a barcode reader you could have a quick ISBN lookup. Type in the number and it takes you to the book on the B&N site. You may already be able to do this with B&N mobile, I haven't ever thought to try it.

Also: I still have my old cuecat! I hacked it to work as a regular barcode reader and scanned all my books, cds and dvds into delicious library a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kezza
    Or even without a barcode reader you could have a quick ISBN lookup. Type in the number and it takes you to the book on the B&N site. You may already be able to do this with B&N mobile, I haven't ever thought to try it.

Also: I still have my old cuecat! I hacked it to work as a regular barcode reader and scanned all my books, cds and dvds into delicious library a few years ago.
    cuecat! ha! I forgot all about that. I bet I have mine burried in a box somewhere. Where did I get that thing, anyway? Was it from Circuit City or from Radio Shack? I can't even remember.

Administrator

One of my followers on Twitter just had an awesome idea for an app

How about a Book club app? It could run on the color screen, and you could respond to discussion or start discussion as you are reading!! And you could also look at other things from the eInk display when you aren't reading the book, but you'd still have the book right there to refer to ...

This is the kind of stuff I am looking forward to, apps that enhance the reading experience!

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast