Dream Applications - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    mfaine

Default Re: Dream Applications

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    One of my followers on Twitter just had an awesome idea for an app

How about a Book club app? It could run on the color screen, and you could respond to discussion or start discussion as you are reading!! And you could also look at other things from the eInk display when you aren't reading the book, but you'd still have the book right there to refer to ...

This is the kind of stuff I am looking forward to, apps that enhance the reading experience!

Rachel
    Already thought of that but I was thinking of something like a BookGlutton plug-in that could be turned on or off, however, the way I had envisioned it would probably require a collaborative effort between B&N and BookGlutton so I discounted it as not likely to ever happen. Still, I guess it could be re-invented from scratch too.

If BookGlutton's software were used there is already a lot of functionality there. Book clubs are really only the beginning.

-Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Hmmm...dream applications, huh? Well...I wish nook had was one of these wikipedia app's I've seen in my G1's Android Market (ie Quickpedia, perhaps) that gives users an Android-optimized version of Wikipedia to work with. Articles are formatted to look great on the G1 (or any Android smartphone), and it can be quicker/easier to go to this app instead of going to Wikipedia via my phone's browser instead. I dunno if I'm in the minority or majority with this, but I really don't want a Web browser on nook--mostly because I'm not sure if either of nook's screens would be suitable enough for Web browsing, but partly also because I have my G1 or my iPod touch handy if I want to search for stuff online while I'm away from my computer, and I don't mind carrying an extra device or two around with me. But, by the same token, I wouldn't mind seeing browser-like app's that focus only on accessing certain Internet resources, like Wikipedia, and optimizing them for nook.

As for other dream app's, I'd like to see ones that are related to books, reading, and research. Possibly also social networking of some kind, too, as long as it pertains to (e)books and using nook. (Maybe some kind of app that's exclusive to nook users and allows them to send messages to each other, see what they're currently reading and/or what's in their libraries, and share free content of some kind with each other that can be exchanged freely and don't have time limits on them? I was thinking of something like BlackBerry Messenger and the ability to send messages to other people's PIN's, but with a little more oomph to it somehow.) I wouldn't mind seeing an app store of some kind on nook, but I certainly don't want to see the entire Android Market available to us, either. I want nook to remain an ereader, not an iPhone/iPod touch wannabe. It should be a master at what it does, not a jack of all trades. So I'd want to see future app's or additions to nook reflect that and remain focused on what nook is meant to do, above all else: be the best darn ereader device it can be.

--Roxie

Administrator

I agree I would like to see a few specific web sites that have been designed to look nice on the nook rather than having the whole internet available to me.

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

It just hit me now--I think it'd be nice to see one of the Internet radio clients already available in the Android Market. My app of choice for this is Pandora. I think this would be a nice addition to nook. It looks like nook runs out of the box as-is--you don't necessarily have to hook it up to a computer right away to get books like you would for an iPod. But it'd be nice to see it work the same way with music, even if playing music isn't the main thing nook is supposed to do.

Personally, I'm not sure B&N would ever agree to something like making Pandora available to us. Like the other Internet radio app's, they really use up the 3G in order to run. And because they heavily use 3G to run, that means they also use up a lot of battery power. But it'd be interesting if nook was made more...independent?...music-wise, too, so you don't have to hook it up to a computer to listen to music on the go.

Or, on a related note, it'd be interesting to see something like Apple's radio remote available for nook to give us AM/FM tuners, at least. Just plug in the special remote adapter and you're all set if you want to listen to the radio. I think that'd be a nice option, too.

--Roxie

erico49

Crossword puzzle app.

Tom Sawyer

Heya,

Just had the weirdest idea for an app: a "Pandora"-like app, but for books. I really would and really wouldn't want such a program, since it would be little more than an ad for books, but here's the concept....

Pandora, or other Internet radio app's, or even the Genius feature with iTunes, work by having you enter in artists/songs/albums you like. The app takes what you put into it and constructs special playlists based on what you like.

Now, I've been sitting at my workstation, killing some time by paging through B&N's sample of Anne Rice's "Angel Time," book 1, and the first thing that hit me was: This just isn't my cup of tea. Then I thought to myself: There's an awful lot of ebook samples out there. How would I know what I should try out if I'd want to find something new to read? And that's when it hit me...if there was a Pandora-like app for ebooks, maybe that would help answer my question of what I'd want to read. This kind of program could queue up a list of books and/or samples for me to look at and rate. If I give it a thumbs up, it'll give me similar books. If I give it a thumbs down, it'll take that book away and tweak the reading list.

I like the concept of this strictly in terms of getting personalized suggestions of what to read. A personalized reading list. But I don't ever want to see ads on nook--and that's what an app like this would be if it's pointing me to certain samples of ebooks for me to read to try to get me to spend money at their ebookstore that I may not want to spend. I wish that this sort of app really would be like Pandora--it'd allow people to enjoy an author's work without pushing them into buying anything while also allowing people to discover other authors and other books.

So...heh...that's my latest idea for a dream app. It's a dream and a nightmare rolled up into one. I like the idea of an app that makes "genius" reading lists but I wouldn't want it to keep pushing me into buying anything I won't want to buy, either.

--Roxie

Riddie

Default Re: Android SDK

Hi I am also waiting for the nook, but in the mean while I like this topic about dream apps..
    I would like a webbrowser on the nook, seeing it already has 3G and Wifi. And 3G coverage in the Netherlands is pretty good.
    That was it for now, but I will keep an eye on this Forum I like it already.

Compliments to those who started it, thankyou for giving up some of your personal time for us.

darinhouston

An app that takes a folder of pdfs on the SD card, lets you browse through them, marking ones of interest (better yet, annotate them or make notes), and moving the selected ones into a separate folder.

Just read your post, Roxie. That's a great idea. If your pandora-like app could take a look at the ebooks I already have on my Nook then suggest other books I might like from the B&N store I would definitely install that. And if it could be configured to search other compatible stores as well, even better.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    Just read your post, Roxie. That's a great idea. If your pandora-like app could take a look at the ebooks I already have on my Nook then suggest other books I might like from the B&N store I would definitely install that. And if it could be configured to search other compatible stores as well, even better.

Regards,
    Michael
    Just so long as the matching algorithm was good and didn't just return books that contain the same words in the title or books by the same author.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast