Dream Applications - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mowgli

Default Re: Dream Applications

I would like a way to zoom in on PDFs as I've heard there is no way to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Others have mentioned some of these, but here's my top 10 list, not counting a web browser:

1) Ability to load books wirelessly. This would no doubt have to be triggered FROM the Nook and not the PC though due to the wireless turning itself off constantly when not in use. Perhaps have it just access the Calibre "server" and download from it.

2) Twitter. Yeah, I said it.

3) Facebook (not for me mind you, but yeah...)

4) RSS news reader - although they now have a web browser working in it and Google Reader works great with it. Still no direct input on the device though. Time they started making a touchscreen keyboard work.

5) Remember the Milk. I don't use the service myself, but a lot of people do.

6) A REAL audio player, something that actually has a usable interface.

7) An alarm. Perhaps link it with an RSS feed of alarms you could set from your PC that would cause the Nook to wake up and ring, showing the text.

8) OpenVPN. No, really. Think about this - if I could connect to wireless, open my VPN to the office and open a web page to my monitoring software I would have a remote monitoring pad. Other cool stuff I could do with OpenVPN too.

9) 802.11 Network sniffer / status monitor

10) A custom "The Daily" section that I could point to my own server. Think of all the cool things you could do if you could specify a site to use for "The Daily" - feed your to do lists, your shopping lists, etc. From a developer's viewpoint, I'm thinking of things like e-mail [login]@mycoolnook.com or something and have it pop up your note in the custom Daily section. Apparently this is easy to do with a simple DNS hack too, and I might just do that.

11) Ability to order pizza and have it delivered. Since nobody delivers food where I live, that would be a neat trick.
    Site http://www.nook-look.com/
    Blog http://www.ossramblings.com/
    Twitter http://www.twitter.com/tonymaro
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tonymaro
    Linked-In http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonymaro

I always figured the best way to defend an online persona is to make it ubiquitous

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by CyberMage
    Others have mentioned some of these, but here's my top 10 list, not counting a web browser:
    Really? Why does everyone want a web browser? Maybe Wikipedia but other than that I can see no need for it on an eReader.

1) Ability to load books wirelessly....
    Maybe it would be nice but probably isn't necessary, how often would you really use it? WiFi would probably kill the battery too, unless you were talking bluetooth and I'm not sure if the nook is capable of bluetooth (yet).

2) Twitter. Yeah, I said it.
    No, no, 100 times no.

3) Facebook (not for me mind you, but yeah...)
    See #2

4) RSS news reader - although they now have a web browser working in it and Google Reader works great with it. Still no direct input on the device though. Time they started making a touchscreen keyboard work.
    If there were a service that took the RSS feeds and made them presentable for the nook along with the articles then maybe but I don't want to read poorly formatted web pages on my nook.

5) Remember the Milk. I don't use the service myself, but a lot of people do.
    I don't even know what this is but I guess I'll check it out. From the context I'm guessing it is a reminder service - not a terrible idea if done well. I'd rather forget the milk if the alternative is a pop-up dialog while I'm in the middle of reading.

6) A REAL audio player, something that actually has a usable interface.
    Agreed, though they shouldn't spend too much effort on the audio player, it isn't an iPod.

7) An alarm. Perhaps link it with an RSS feed of alarms you could set from your PC that would cause the Nook to wake up and ring, showing the text.
    I don't get this one, sounds like a computer science proof of concept project with very little real-world application.

8) OpenVPN. No, really. Think about this - if I could connect to wireless, open my VPN to the office and open a web page to my monitoring software I would have a remote monitoring pad. Other cool stuff I could do with OpenVPN too.
    See #7

9) 802.11 Network sniffer / status monitor
    It kind of already does this but the WiFi has to be on.

10) A custom "The Daily" section that I could point to my own server. Think of all the cool things you could do if you could specify a site to use for "The Daily" - feed your to do lists, your shopping lists, etc. From a developer's viewpoint, I'm thinking of things like e-mail [login]@mycoolnook.com or something and have it pop up your note in the custom Daily section. Apparently this is easy to do with a simple DNS hack too, and I might just do that.
    I like this idea but there would probably need to be some custom formatting. Perhaps a web site or server application that would server nook formatted content.

11) Ability to order pizza and have it delivered. Since nobody delivers food where I live, that would be a neat trick.
    Ha ha

Now for my list, and yes I realize that many of these are not applications but enhancements, I list them to show my priorities.

1. Better touchscreen sensitivity and overall performance improvements. (including bug fixes)

2. Better battery life and a setting to automatically perform all of the manual tasks we are all training ourselves to do in order to save battery.

3. Better designed UI - is acceptable as is but lacks imagination and some aspects are very weak (scrolling for example, maybe Miller columns instead of tree based lists). You have a touchscreen so make the most of it. where are the context menus? There is no need to navigate to a new screen to touch 'OK' or 'Cancel' that could be on the same touchscreen. Imagine you touch the book cover and everything else on the touchscreen goes into the background and you are presented with options to the left and right of the book cover - [ overview], [search], [read], [similar], [by author] You could even overlay the word 'Read' on top of the cover.

4. Faster page turns

5. Email address to the My Documents section ( or any kind of delivery mechanism that is convenient from a network attached PC)

6. Todo List (may be covered by #5)

7. Recipe Manager

8. DTB Book Index (allow for input of DTB books owned to search through and list in a different menu) - entered through a PC application or perhaps the presence of a file that contains ISBN numbers.

9. Textbook trading/selling application or functionality - can be web based too (I would wish for the ability to buy/sell/trade all eBooks that is more of a fantasy than a simple wish)

10. BookGlutton like functionality. I like the idea of a book club or shared reading experience though I would offload the annotating and such to a web application - I don't think I'll ever want to do too much typing on the nook's virtual keyboard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

mfaine

Ok seriously, has this thread moved? It seems to be in a different place every time I try to find it.

I thought of one more. It is similar to the Pandora book recommendations in another thread.

Have you ever used the web browser plug-in called 'Glue'?

http://bit.ly/83I3dA

Imagine it on the touchscreen but limited to only books and linked to the b&n shop.

-Mark

Tiny Tim

Some customers have suggested...

(1) A combination holder/headlamp arm to hold nook at an adjustable distance from your eyes when reading in bed.
    (2) A vibrating touch whenever the page turns (see iPhone's ereader app) -- or any kind of haptic/tactile feedback device that would give other than just a light feedback for action confirmation.
    (3) A reading stand, optimized for holding nook stable, at an adjustable viewing angle, on either lap or table -- while still allowing page turn buttons to be pressed.

Teachers have asked for....

(1) A way to synchronize the audio mp3 text with the page turn, so that a child could LISTEN and READ at the same time -- especially for children with learning disabilities (multisensory perception is valuable in teaching literacy)
    (2) Use of the audio/speaker/headphones to give "directional" information and navigation to vision-challenged students with either verbal or beep tone cueing
    (3) Some version of optional text-to-speech (see 2) for those who need it -- probably in conjunction with (2) above

And I'd like to see:

(1) A capacitive stylus with a handwriting pad, like the iPaq, for making notes more fluently -- even though te reading screen is not touch-sensitive, at least I should be able to compose notes more completely and faster
    (2) A much more rapid selection feature for highlighting and annotation
    (3) A simple way of viewing file extensions so that I could tell whether I am looking at an ePub, eReader, .pdb, or .pdf file. Since the things I can do with a content are dependent on the file type, I outght to be able to browse that file type if I so choose
    (4) A Barnes and Noble audio book store that features both DRM'ed and open MP3 content for downloading directly
    (5) "packaged" books that combine both the audio and text coual content in a single purchase. Or, if that's impractical, a PC app that let's me create my OWN combination file in an a file package that works in consunction with treader and audio at the same time.

!PROUD NOOKSELLER!

Tiny Tim

Something else: As generations of college students have found out, physical and privacy security are more than a nice-to-have.

As eReaders are "hot", they will become targets of theft. A simple locking device that fits a Kensington cable (which most laptop owners already have) can deter 90% of determined thefts. The cable can then be handcuffed to my wrist (if I'm in public), or to a stationary library table, so it doesn't walk away into the hands of the bad guys.

I would also like the option to password-protect my device, such that it can be made to require a password entry or a fingerprint at frequent intervals. Further, I would like the option to encrypt or not display my wireless hotspot identifications, since one of these is likely to be my home's wi-fi ssid and/or password.
    !PROUD NOOKSELLER!

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by njnookman
    Something else: As generations of college students have found out, physical and privacy security are more than a nice-to-have.

As eReaders are "hot", they will become targets of theft. A simple locking device that fits a Kensington cable (which most laptop owners already have) can deter 90% of determined thefts. The cable can then be handcuffed to my wrist (if I'm in public), or to a stationary library table, so it doesn't walk away into the hands of the bad guys.

I would also like the option to password-protect my device, such that it can be made to require a password entry or a fingerprint at frequent intervals. Further, I would like the option to encrypt or not display my wireless hotspot identifications, since one of these is likely to be my home's wi-fi ssid and/or password.
    All those are well and good and some should be adopted but it might be better to let the crook use the device, go online with it and then have B&N be able to track the thief and just disable or partially disable the device remotely.

-Mark

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by mfaine
    All those are well and good and some should be adopted but it might be better to let the crook use the device, go online with it and then have B&N be able to track the thief and just disable or partially disable the device remotely.

-Mark
    Yeah. That's great until the crook taps "shop" and starts buying trash on the owner's dime. I can say from experience that it's a hassle getting these transactions reversed, too. In my case, my credit card company had to send me a new card--and then I kept getting declined and locked out of my online account because the company kept thinking I was the robber who was using my new card, no matter how many times I called to let them know what the problem was. I had to jump through several hoops before I got that holy mess straightened out. So no, I'd MUCH rather avoid seeing a robber freely use any device of mine that could be used to buy stuff with no password protection whatsoever. In the case of nook, I'd either like to see B&N enable Android's native "connect the dots" protection that comes with regular Android devices, or I'd at least like to see password protection only for "shop," if not for the entire device--just like the way it is on my iPod touch when I launch the iTunes store or the App Store. Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle to get a password prompt every time I go into either of those shopping app's, but I'd rather deal with that little bit of hassle than what I went through with my credit card company.

--Roxie

d'Artagnan

Definetly wish nook had some kind of password protection. And if it was reported stolen, B&N should send out a signal to brick it!! Between ADE and calibre and B&N I have everything backed up. Why should some creep use my credit card and make life miserable for us? My understanding with the Kindle is Amazon takes no steps or responsibility for a stolen Kindle, no action whatsoever. I may be incorrect but that is what I heard recently. How about this, if your nook or Kindle for that matter was stolen and Amazon or B&N was still letting someone download into it, even if you had de-registered it, I say take them to small claims court and charge them with dealing with stolen property. That would get their attention.
    MikFinkel

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456