"Upgrading" the nook

Default "Upgrading" the nook

Since it's been shown at the operating system and default storage is just a MicroSD card. Has anyone tried to replicate the partitions on a larger card leaving a larger default storage area. Imagine slapping a 16GB on-board with another 16GB in the expansion slot....

I'd be willing to give it a shot... but I don't get my nooks until Feb 1st.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: "Upgrading" the nook

Hmm, its an interesting idea, and there is no obvious reasons it won't work. Id try it if I could..
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying 'And another thing' twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument.'

jb0yz

1st post

my nook is comming today via usps and I have a 16GB microsd on hand just for this purpose, I got experience with making goldcards etc (cloneing/modifying fat tables) hopefully I'll get it to work and throw up a guide.

Also, lots of experience with android phones and the way it works, hopefully I can bring some of my experience and be an asset to this community

I'll tell you what I find out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

jb0yz

2nd post

well with less than 12 hours of owning the device I've ran into my first gamestopper brick wall... not with this particular issue, but more of a gamestopper in why I originally wanted this device. After rooting and playing around with android, the lifetime 3g is limited to only barnes and noble sites.

at first I thought it was an issue where the hacked browser only access via wifi, but they have done a good job of locking down thier wispernet. I'm not attempting to troll or discourage anyone from further develop on this platform, but unless something amazing happens in terms of this particular issue in the next 13 days, I will be moving on. I truely am sorry I'm giving up so easy, but the amazon device just seems to be a little more open in terms of useage. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jb0yz
    2nd post

well with less than 12 hours of owning the device I've ran into my first gamestopper brick wall... not with this particular issue, but more of a gamestopper in why I originally wanted this device. After rooting and playing around with android, the lifetime 3g is limited to only barnes and noble sites.

at first I thought it was an issue where the hacked browser only access via wifi, but they have done a good job of locking down thier wispernet. I'm not attempting to troll or discourage anyone from further develop on this platform, but unless something amazing happens in terms of this particular issue in the next 13 days, I will be moving on. I truely am sorry I'm giving up so easy, but the amazon device just seems to be a little more open in terms of useage. Cheers
    Well JB sorry that you are down with the nook but the vast majority of us out here did not buy the nook so we could hack it and modify it to our needs. For the vast majority the nook does exactly what we bought it for... i.e. read books! I'm amazed when I watch videos like the Trook and see how someone modified the nook but to tell you the truth I could care less to try it for myself. I'm fine with waiting for the small improvements that B&N need to make to the nook. In the mean time it's a fine ereader and I enjoy mine immensely without voiding my warranty.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

jb0yz

oh i agree, I'm not much of an avid reader, but I sat down with a couple previews of some books I read as a child growing up, stellar device for just reading, I've played around with the kindle and if I was just in it for the reading, this is a definate contender, A+ job on what it's susposed to do. I am however a tinkerer and I had full intentions of making the nook do what I wanted it to do, plus my absolute love for android and all it stands for. I feel as if I've been let down as far as what I personally wanted, but people in your situation, I'm sure it will give you plenty of years of wonderfull use.

Puck

I find this thread interesting and somewhat disturbing... I find it interesting that jb0yz bought a nook for the sole reason of hacking it (seems like a lot of money to me just to experiment with the unknown), and somewhat disturbing that he's going to return a hacked nook that may end up with another customer down the road. Doesn't hacking the OS void the warranty?

I too bought the nook as a reader not a platform for experimentation, however, I admire those who are trying to develop apps that will further it's versitility/capabilities. While most of these apps are currently hacks, I think as time goes on, B&N will see the market for nook apps and eventually open up the OS for further expansion. This initial hacking will eventually benefit us all, so rather than return a hacked nook, hang onto it and work within the current limitations and develop apps that will someday lead to a more open environment!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

jb0yz

if it weren't for people like me you would have to find the weird combo of avid reader that doesn't care to screw up his precious if something goes bad, where as me... I have the money to burn about once a year.... and this is my hobby, you spend it on books... i spend it on gadgets

nope I do it all the time... factory restore removes most (within reason unless your a forensic analyst) that the device has been ever modified beyond stock.

If you brick your device (unbootable) then it's hit or miss if they will take it back and do their magic to it (complex ripping apart of device and reflash onboard memory)

EDIT: in this case, file system is all on card, all you really have to do is reflash a memory card, I don't belive the actual bootstrap is editable... at least at this time

so nothing to fear for the next owner

Mowgli

Did you honestly think B&N & ATT would give free 3G for anything other than downloading & browsing books?
    I'm glad there is no such restrictions on the WIFI. I half expected them to block that as well .

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by baskar
    Did you honestly think B&N & ATT would give free 3G for anything other than downloading & browsing books?
    I'm glad there is no such restrictions on the WIFI. I half expected them to block that as well .
    Well the Kindle does, but they also don't have a highly programmable platform like android. Plus I think since Amazon was the first to get a contract with a cell phone company for this, they probably got a contract for the "free" 3G, but I am sure the usage is very high,a nd going forward cell phone companies won't be giving other companies that same contract without charging the users something. But that doesn't mean that they won't add it down the road for a small fee.

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson