Softroot Acheived! - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    d'Artagnan

Default Re: Softroot Acheived!

Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    That's really awesome SidheKist! I was wondering if you can now browse your collection by folders and in alpha order? Or do you books still show in load order like they did before you soft-rooted? Also, I imagine that battery consumption is a whole lot more. Does the browser allow access to anything on the web as long as it's text?

Kevin
    My books are in alphabetical order, I can sort by title, author or most recent.
    On my Calibre server, which I use Trook to access, I can browse books by author, series, alphabetical.. but, that's on the feed.
    The battery does go faster if I am sitting here going back and forth, Wifi and the browser and all that..
    and I can pull up Google, Facebook, whatever, but navigation isn't exactly the easiest thing right now, as I keep wanting to touch the eInk..
    [quote author=horse_girl link=topic=2435.msg32487#msg32487 date=1280350006]
    Good thing with the crotch grabbing and gummi butt crack.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Fireflywishes link=topic=2831.msg37328#msg37328 date=1282252903]
    yummy, yummy, in my tummy!
    [/quote]

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKist
    I thought it might have to do with the Wifi shutting off so fast.. I don't think getting Pandora up and running is worth the effort, either.
    Anyway, here are some pictures of my Nook, softrooted. I like that I can scroll through covers from non-B&N stuff.
    I'm so trook-ing out my nook when it gets here! I was really bummed when I found out that sideloaded books don't do coverflow, because I've got 120ish books that I dloaded from non-B&N sources. I'm so glad!
    Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    That's really awesome SidheKist! I was wondering if you can now browse your collection by folders and in alpha order? Or do you books still show in load order like they did before you soft-rooted? Also, I imagine that battery consumption is a whole lot more. Does the browser allow access to anything on the web as long as it's text?

Kevin
    The browser shows images (albeit in greyscale). The slow draw rate of e-ink and difficulty navigating a page makes the e-ink browser mostly a novelty IMO. I think we would be better off with a browser that uses the LCD screen to display the content. It is small but not much worse than some cell phones and at least you have touchscreen capability there. Even better, mirror the content to both screens. That way one could navigate and click links on the LCD screen and also read content on the e-ink screen.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I really am not that interested in browsing the Internet but I would like the B&N shopping feature to remain. My main interest in doing softroot would be if I could browse my library by folders and group my books by collection. That might be worth softrooting to me.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mowgli

Hi nooked,
    That's a good idea on the browser. If you have any ideas/feature request, feel free to create a new enhancement/defect request in http://code.google.com/p/nookdevs/ website.
    No guarantees, but wouldn't hurt to ask .

Puck

I haven't installed the browser on my nook yet because, in general, I don't see the need for it. I have serious doubts I'll ever be in a position where I need to access the internet and don't have either my phone (Android based BTW) or my laptop with me.

One thing that someone with the browser install can try that would be immensely useful? See if using the browser you can start connecting to public wifis that require you to load a EULA page before you can access the internet.

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by baskar
    Hi nooked,
    That's a good idea on the browser. If you have any ideas/feature request, feel free to create a new enhancement/defect request in http://code.google.com/p/nookdevs/ website.
    No guarantees, but wouldn't hurt to ask .
    Wow. I just noticed that you (?) added this already and released a new version just a bit ago. To say that this feature makes the browser much more usable would be an understatement! Thanks!

Mowgli

. I can't take all the credit. We were already working on this for a week or so. I just added some finishing touches today and uploaded it. We will do more testing on this and release the next version in a week or so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123