Softroot Acheived!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Softroot Acheived!

nookdevs has done it again!

you can find everything you need at http://nookdevs.com/Softroot!

And for those of you who were drooling over the Trook app, it`s there too!

Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

MaG
    Tiny Tim

Default Re: Softroot Acheived!

So besides the nookdevs, has anyone here tried the softroot ? I'm really curious about it and look forward to further developments with the softroot and applications that may be introduced ...
    Nook, Curve & HP mini 1000
    Reading Now: Pirate Latitudes

d'Artagnan

I did the softroot on my Nook, so far, so good!
    [quote author=horse_girl link=topic=2435.msg32487#msg32487 date=1280350006]
    Good thing with the crotch grabbing and gummi butt crack.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Fireflywishes link=topic=2831.msg37328#msg37328 date=1282252903]
    yummy, yummy, in my tummy!
    [/quote]

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKist
    I did the softroot on my Nook, so far, so good!
    What have you been able to do since the soft root? Have you installed any Apps? Any improvements to the current OS and functionality of nook? You kind a left us hanging...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

d'Artagnan

Heheheh, sorry, it was really late last night and I was kind of out of it.

I've installed Pandora, Trook, and the Nook browser, which is all well and good.
    The one thing that I really want to do, I haven't achieved yet. I am trying to set up my Calibre server and fetch it on the Nook, so if anyone has any helpful hints with that, I'd appreciate it. I don't think my problem has to do with the software or with the Nook though, I think it is ports and who knows.

I definitely think that the Nook has become quite a bit more functional. The major downside I've noticed is the battery gets even worse using it Android-style, but I just did the softroot yesterday afternoon, so I haven't played with it as much as I'd like yet.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Puck

Are you a programer? How difficult would it be to enable the ability to share the My Documents Folder on the nook over a network? If that could be achieved, you could simply drag and drop your non-B&N eBook into the nook over your home network, no cables!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

d'Artagnan

Heh, no.. I am no programmer, I learned Python once upon a time and some shell scripting but I have been out of practice for ages.

As far as how difficult that would be, I cannot say.

I have other good news though, I was able to set up my Calibre server and access it from Trook.. so I can download any of my books and news right from the Nook..
    [/quote]

[/quote]

MaG
    Tiny Tim

I've tried this many, many times today with NO luck.. I've tried it on my both Linux machine and my Windows7.. For the life of me I can't get the "timing" right to get it to update. I can't even get it to load the original 1.0.0 firmware.. Guess I'm the pet monkey Guenter...
    Nook, Curve & HP mini 1000
    Reading Now: Pirate Latitudes

Tiny Tim

I can get as far as applying the softroot from the SD card, and it seems to be successful. Only problem is, I can't get the nook to see any wifi networks until I have registered it and let it update to 1.1.1 again. I can ping it, but trying to connect with adb returns: unable to connect to 10.0.1.5:5555. Has the update turned off adb connectability, or is it a problem with using NAT on the local network?

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by violajack
    I can get as far as applying the softroot from the SD card, and it seems to be successful. Only problem is, I can't get the nook to see any wifi networks until I have registered it and let it update to 1.1.1 again. I can ping it, but trying to connect with adb returns: unable to connect to 10.0.1.5:5555. Has the update turned off adb connectability, or is it a problem with using NAT on the local network?
    I let mine update back to 1.1.1 and registered it, then I entered my wifi here at home, got the IP of the Nook (which you should be able to see if you go to the network name under Wifi in settings on Nook)
    and then adb connect to NookIP-whatever-it-may-be:5555 ...

Quote Originally Posted by MaG
    I've tried this many, many times today with NO luck.. I've tried it on my both Linux machine and my Windows7.. For the life of me I can't get the "timing" right to get it to update. I can't even get it to load the original 1.0.0 firmware.. Guess I'm the pet monkey Guenter...
    Heh, ok, this may sound silly but I couldn't get it to downgrade at first, either. You have to rename the downgrade file, just delete the version number from signed_bravo_update.dat and don't type ".dat" at the end (on Windows.. I don't know if Linux is still where you have to type all file names manually, like in the old Red Hat of my days)

As far as the timing.. ONCE you get it to downgrade, just turn it off and then make sure you are pressing both page turn buttons on the right side. It took me a few tries to get this.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast