Problems rooting nook

alexferreira

Default Problems rooting nook

Hi All!!

I'm trying to root my nook and I can't get past the screen that says "checking for update". I keep holding the power botton and the arrow key (following the instructions from nookdevs), but it does not trigger the hacked update to load. Any tips on how I can get this to work? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Problems rooting nook

Just double-checking: make sure microSD is FAT32 formatted.
    In my case I used 512Mb microSD which came with my Nokia dumb phone. It took a couple of failed attempts in the update mode to force me to get back to the wiki page and read instructions with more attention paid to details
    The first try after proper formatting (from card's original FAT16 to FAT32) and having v1.2 on was a success.
    wbr,
    Vad

alexferreira

Hi sPACEYE,

Thanks for the tip. I formatted my microSD again (on my mac) to the defaulted FAT32. I gave the softrooting another try and yet, I'm stuck with the same problem. By the way, should I release the arrow botton ( < ) when I see the message at the bottom screen that says "checking for update", right? Man I feel life a duffus... Thanks for trying to assist me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

The timing is a little tricky. Don't do it as soon as you see the "Checking for update" message. Wait a second or two then release. If you still can't get it, make sure you have followed all other steps--making double sure that you copied the firmware file to the correct drive and renamed it to the correct name etc.

fuzzie

I've got the samw issue...tried the update several times, playing with the timing each time.
    Double-checked the directions...followed each step.
    Hmmmm, any suggestions?
    Can you put the update on the nook drive instead?

westman00

Had the same problem when I tried to root for the first time. I tried million times with different timings but then I read somewhere that someone had bought a new sdcard and got it working... so I had a extra card in my phone and tried that in my nook and voilá! It started the update process the first time I tried. Had to switch cards again when I updated from 1.2 ->1.3.(since I need more memory in my phone)

I don't know the reason for this but its worth a shot

Tiny Tim

I'm having the same problem. I've tried two different SD cards.
    I hold down the top right button and the e-ink screen says 'installing update'. The LCD screen then says 'mounting partitions'. It then flashes very quickly (so quickly you can hardly see it) 'checking update'. Then the screen says 'Verifying Update'. After a few seconds it then restarts the nook back to the original 1.0 start up. No update loads.

I've tried it on two micro sd cards a 1.0G and a 4.0G. I've followed the instructions from the wiki and have the bravo_update.dat file on the SD card.

Tiny Tim

I've solved the problem for why mine wasn't getting past the verify part. It was bad download of the update. I re-downloaded it from a different mirror, and copied it across to the sd card. It worked first time.

Mowgli

I recommend checking the check sum to verify that the download is correct any time you flash a rom. On some devices flashing a bad rom will brick the device.