Experiment: Android Phone + Tether + nook = Trook anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puck

Default Experiment: Android Phone + Tether + nook = Trook anywhere.

Setup:
    You have a rooted nook with Trook configured for your calibre server and various RSS feeds.

Problem:
    Trook only works on wifi (side note: The latest versions can use 3g, but *only* if you're replaced the default AT&T sim card), and wifi isn't as available as 3g.

Solution?
    A rooted android phone with wireless tether, maybe?

When the wireless tether app is installed and turned on it operates sort of like a wireless hotspot allowing computers to connect to the phone over wifi and access the internet using the phones data connection. The problem is that the connection shows up as an ad hoc network instead of an access point, and by default the nook (and all android devices) won't connect to ad hoc networks.

I found instructions for how to manually configure an ad hoc network on a T-Mobile G1, but it should generally be the same for any android device. This wouldn't configure the nook to see ad hocs networks from here on out, but it should add my phone to the existing list of wifi connections. I'm going to mess around with it this weekend and see if I can get it to work.

Connecting a G1 to an ad hoc network:
    http://modmygphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22681

The android wifi tether app:
    http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Experiment: Android Phone + Tether + nook = Trook anywhere.

Ran into a snag fairly quickly. The nook seems to have its filesystems set up slightly differently than Android phones so I'm not sure exactly what to mount in order to be able to make changes. Also the tiwlan file doesn't seem to exist on the nook (or on my Nexus One for that matter) so I also don't know where to make the changed should I figure out what to make writable.

Don't have time to go any further for right now so the experiment is on hold.

Puck

Turns out all I had to do was wait a little while. Android v2.2 is out and I updated my phone while messing around at work. 2.2 natively has the option to make your phone work as a mobile hotspot. A quick test with my laptop and a friends iPod shows that the phone does appear to show as a access point rather than an ad-hoc connection. I won't be able to test with my nook till I get home, but it looks like my problem is solved.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Good info here!! Keep us updated!!

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Puck

Yep. It works. My nook was able to see and connect to my phone using the wifi, and I was able to go through Trook and download books. I was even able to pull a book from Calibre.

I have run into a few issues with Android 2.2 that aren't relevant to this discussion. Those aside if you have an Android phone and can get 2.2 onto it you'll have a way to get your nook online without being tied to your usual hotspots.

JoeProcopio

i would love a little more info here....what phone are you using? I have a Droid running 2.2, and using the wireless tether app from the market, I can't get the Nook to see it, but i have connected various iPods, iPads, iMacs, and MacBok Pros (i know Apple devices) with no problem. I don't recall if they were seeing the droid as adhoc or what, but i couldn't get the nook to see it.

2.2 natively runs wireless tethering, but not the leak for the Droids apparently, at least I am still using the app from the market....

is there a native app now in 2.2 that might not be included in the leaked Rom that I should get when we finally get the released 2.2 for the Droid....

JoeProcopio

i'm going to assume you have a Nexus One, since they are the only phones that have received 2.2 officially thus far.

do you have an option under wireless & networks that says wireless tethering as opposed to using the market application? My Droid doesn't, that is why I am still using the market app.

I also see you said the Nook was rooted, so maybe trying to connect the nook at a Barnes and Noble store isn't going to help much, lol....I'm still in the research phase, deciding between eReader and tablet, and wifi tethering is essential, and although the Nook has 3G, we know how reliable AT&T's network is at times....especially with all the iPads and new iPhones that just hit the market that are going to eat up the 3G network.

Compnird

I have a Droid Incredible which is Rooted and has WiFi Tether enabled. Unfortunately, this wifi network is Ad-Hoc as opposed to Infrastructure (peer to peer instead of Access Point). I am tossing up whether it's worth it to get the 3G version or just tether the Nook to my phone. It seems that nobody has been able to get this to work.

Can someone comment on what they have tried to get the Nook to see an ad-hoc network? Since it is an Android device I would much prefer this than the Kindle or Kobo. But I'll end up with whichever device will support an ad-hoc tether connection.

axpv

I took a look at the wireless card driver's debug output and it reports that the scan table does contain my Droid's ad hoc network. I am still trying to figure out where the ad hoc networks get filtered out.

Puck

I do have a Nexus One. Under Wireless & Networks I have an option called "Tethering & portable hotspot". Under that I have options for USB tethering and Portable Wi-Fi hotspot.

Since my phone is rooted I was able to load an unofficial version of 2.2 onto it about a month before T-Mobile started pushing it out to the phones. Most carriers seem to think that tethering will cause their networks to explode so it's not surprising the Droid is missing the option.

Taking another look at the link for getting a G1 onto an adhoc network it looks like all they basically did was manually add the ad-hocs info to the /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf file. If the nook stores ad-hoc info in the same place that may be a good starting point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast