Calibre Plugin to Automatically Link Fonts in ePubs

Insalubrious

Default Calibre Plugin to Automatically Link Fonts in ePubs

Hello there, Nookboards! I have a little story to tell you all, after which I promise I have something good to share.

Anyway, I bought a Nook yesterday and was dissatisfied with its (lack of) non-Western font support, and so I went looking and found this post. I tried both the plugin and the method for linking fonts on Nookdevs, but I wasn't satisfied with either of them. Embedding the font set I wanted to use added 33 MB to each book, and the method on Nookdevs required too much manual editing for my taste.

So, rather than dwell on the shortcomings of either method, I did what any bored programmer would and changed the font-embedding plugin to suit my needs. Now, the new plugin simply modifies stylesheet.css in the ePub to add the necessary css (taken from Nookdevs) to display fonts stored in "my fonts." But, even better, I made it so it could also link to the two embedded fonts mentioned on the Nookdevs page. So now I have a plugin that requires minimal manual intervention (at worst, choosing some fonts and copying them to your Nook) and ensures all my non-English books are rendered properly.

And I want to share it with everyone! After all, there's no point in being greedy when it seems like this is a fairly widespread complaint. I know I've seen several posts on the issue here, and I thought this could at least alleviate that.

There are usage instructions built into the plugin, but I'll put an abbreviated version here, too:

The plugin will link your ePub to four font files:
    * res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/CustomFont-Regular.ttf
    * res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/CustomFont-Bold.ttf
    * res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/CustomFont-Italic.ttf
    * res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/CustomFont-BoldItalic.ttf
    where "CustomFont" is the name of the font family provided.

As a special case, if you provide "DroidFont-Asian" or "DroidFont-NonAsian"
    then the plugin will link to the Nook's built-in Asian and non-Asian fonts.
    All you have to do is install the plugin in Calibre and put in the font family of your choice in the "customize plugin" popup. After that, all your new ePubs should automatically link to those font files, and, provided they exist on your Nook as described above, they should render properly, too.

Special props go to Paul Tomashevskyi whose code I pretty much stole (and reformatted slightly) and the article on Nookdevs.

Hope you all enjoy it! And let me know if anything goes wrong. I've only done a little bit of testing, but it seems to have worked just fine with everything I threw at it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Calibre Plugin to Automatically Link Fonts in ePubs

Thank you, this is a very useful information
    Check the nooklet I created: http://nookdevs.com/Nooklet_applications
    (Hangman and currency converter).
    Hope you like it!

Mad Hatter

Default Re: Calibre Plugin to Automatically Link Fonts in ePubs

@ Insalubrious, welcome to NOOKBOARDS and thanks for putting the *.ZIP file at the bottom of the thread.

I gotta' compliment you as you did a really nice job at documenting what you did. I am a software testing lead for a pharma company and as much as I really enjoy working with the developers of the software suite I am assigned to do testing for, I am forever on nagging them to please write things down! Yes, I understand the geek stuff is what rocks them, but I am the one who is often the first called into an audit to explain things.

Donna

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Where is your plugin? I can not wait to try it.

Oliver

Is it a joke? There is no zip file!
    Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin View Post
    @ Insalubrious, welcome to NOOKBOARDS and thanks for putting the *.ZIP file at the bottom of the thread.

I gotta' compliment you as you did a really nice job at documenting what you did. I am a software testing lead for a pharma company and as much as I really enjoy working with the developers of the software suite I am assigned to do testing for, I am forever on nagging them to please write things down! Yes, I understand the geek stuff is what rocks them, but I am the one who is often the first called into an audit to explain things.

Oliver

Nice and quite useful post. Keep up the good work!

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by onedogwalker View Post
    Where is your plugin? I can not wait to try it.
    I am also in the same situation .