New Nook and ADE

Op_Hy

Default New Nook and ADE

Hi all! I posted in another thread a few days ago that I was awaiting my new Nook to arrive. It finally arrived the day before Thanksgiving (I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I was in bed sick all freaking day, ugh!)

Thanks to you guys, I knew exactly how to set up my Nook and I was up and running in no time. I connected to my home Wi-Fi and had no problems registering. I had previously set up my B&N account and stockpiled some books and samples that I wanted. I also set up and account with Fictionwise and had some books there. I had no problems sideloading that content using calibre.

I wanted to post about a problem that I had with ADE that maybe of some use to a newbie. I had set up and an Adobe account a while ago because I thought that I would read books on my netbook. Big mistake because as I get older, my eyesight is getting worse. Anyway, I ran into the authorization problem, sort of. I saw the Nook on the bottom left, but I knew there could be problems.

I followed the following instructions that I found in the Adobe forums:

1. Open ADE....press Ctrl+Shift+D and deauthorize ADE
    2. Uninstall ADE
    3. Delete these registry files....start>run then type "regedit" and locate and delete the folders "HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Adobe>Digital Editions" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Adobe>Adept
    4. Now reinstall ADE and when asked to authorize use your Nook email address (this should be the same as your Adobe ID, if it is not this whole process probably won't work and you'll need to do something different) and the Adobe password that you had created with ADE
    5. Connect your Nook and when asked to authorize use Adobe ID and password

The thread to the instructions is http://forums.adobe.com/message/3275882#3275882

After I uninstalled ADE, I restarted my computer. I then went into the registry editor and deleted the two registry files mentioned in the instructions and restarted my computer again. Next, I set up a new Adobe ID as I did not want to have any problems. My last step was reinstalling ADE and I was up and running after authorizing my computer and Nook.

Some people aren't comfortable editing their registry, which I understand. It can be easy to fubar your computer if you aren't careful. I just wanted to share what worked for me.

So far, I'm really loving my Nook. I have absolutely no complaints. It is a refurb from Ebay via Barnes and Noble. I believe it is an older model as it has the two prongs on the side as opposed to four. It does not have the bezel with the ambient light as far as I can tell and the serial number starts with 1002. It came with v.1.4.3 installed. I played with it a bit and then installed v.1.5. I'm not hard to please, as long as I can read and load my content, I'm happy.

Sorry so long. I hope it helps someone.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your contributions and willingness to give your assistance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Default Re: New Nook and ADE

@ Op_Hy: Thanks for the good post. I was having ADE issues and wish I had had your notes before I found much of the same info but scattered on a number of different website - Your instructions would have made things a lot easier for me.

Donna

Op_Hy

Good day, Good Queen! Seems you're the only one that replies to my posts! But a Queen is the best ally to have! Thanks for the reply.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Op_Hy
    Good day, Good Queen! Seems you're the only one that replies to my posts! But a Queen is the best ally to have! Thanks for the reply.
    <giggle>... Look at my post count - I 'reply' A LOT!

Donna

oskibol

i there anyway to like make the changes without tampering with the registry? help me out please.

Tom Sawyer

I moved to Linux from Windows, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. Before making any changes to the registry, I would always make a backup copy and save it to an external drive. If you navigate carefully in the registry to the folders mentioned, you'll be ok.