pdf file converson?

danh26

Default pdf file converson?

Newbie here!
    I have a cd of pdf books that a friend gave me. Should I just use them as pdf's or conert them to epub or pdb files?
    Any suggestions as to best program to do that with?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: pdf file converson?

If they are DRM free you probably would be happier using them in epub format. Bothe the classic nook and the nook color will read PDFs but the experience of reading is better in epub. Do a search on Google for Calibre as it is a good quality converter program and it's free.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

danh26

Is there a way to convert them if they have drm or do I need to leave them as a pdf then?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

I haven't any success converting pdf (non drm) with calibre. Can't get the file to fit the Nook screen. Either the font is to small or the page is to long and runs into the bottom with and the last line is unreadable.
    Calibre is not user friendly for us newbee's and its user guide isn't much help!

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by hoosay
    I haven't any success converting pdf (non drm) with calibre. Can't get the file to fit the Nook screen. Either the font is to small or the page is to long and runs into the bottom with and the last line is unreadable.
    Calibre is not user friendly for us newbee's and its user guide isn't much help!
    I've found that some pdf files convert really nicely, others don't. Not sure why, but I suspect it depends on the formatting from which the Pdf's were originally created. There's a nice little ap in Calibre called "tweak epub" that I found to be helpful. I found it when looking at customizing the toolbar, and stuck it on the toolbar. You use it to "explode" the epub file, which breaks the file into smaller, modifiable files, (so far they've been in either html or xhtml format), then once you've edited them, you recombine them. Some pdf's come with the top and bottom headers implanted on each page, (along with the actual hard page numbers that don't correspond on the nook) and this worked nicely to remove them. Just open them up in something that allows you to edit html, do a search and replace, and save.

I also found a setting in the convert box that allows you to shorten or lengthen the line when converting from pdf. Can't remember where it is right now (I'm at work) but when I arbitrarily change the % of length, it allowed the pdf to convert to epub without those annoying run-on lines that left every other line shorter then the one above.

So, where originally I gave up on converting some pdfs, I've now been successful.

It can be time consuming though... :brickwall:

Mad Hatter

@ jratease: Wow I am impressed and thanks for the ideas!

Donna

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by jratease
    I also found a setting in the convert box that allows you to shorten or lengthen the line when converting from pdf. Can't remember where it is right now (I'm at work) but when I arbitrarily change the % of length, it allowed the pdf to convert to epub without those annoying run-on lines that left every other line shorter then the one above.
    Now that I'm home, I went back to try to figure what the **** I was talking about here. I think it's this:

in the Convert Books box, click on Structure Detection, check the box titled "preprocess input file to possibly improve structure detection". This will cause the "line unwrap factor during pre-process" to become un-greyed out. Experiment with various numbers. I found that .40 worked to get rid of those lines that wrap over to the next for a short bit.

or: (not sure, can't remember what I did)

In Preferences, click on Conversion|Input Options. For PDF files, there's a "line unwrapping factor", that I think is essentially the same thing.

Experiment and report back.