Battery life - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery life

Oliver

Default Re: Battery life

True. I guess i was assuming that if the e-ink nook had less power needs, they'd put a battery in there that would at least last a nice long time. I mean, the lower power usage would be one of the pluses for e-ink, so i assumed they'd want to take advantage of that by giving you something that could last for more then 10 hours. Plus, if the battery really doesn't get used until you change the page, it makes more sense to me for them to tell you how many page turns you'll get rather then telling me how many days you get.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Nook classic. I average 5 - 7 days depending on the amount of reading.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Oliver

Do you know about how many pages those 5-7 days add up to? i really think it's the number of times the screen needs to refresh that is the real indicator of battery life.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by merk
    Plus, if the battery really doesn't get used until you change the page, it makes more sense to me for them to tell you how many page turns you'll get rather then telling me how many days you get.
    This is not an accurate assessment. The LCD has to be using power when you have the device in use because it needs to respond to your touch for page turns when you use the swipe feature. Just because you might be using the buttons instead of the swipe feature does not mean that the LCD is not active because it is. The LCD only powers off when it goes into sleep mode. That is one reason the Kindle has a longer battery life. It has no LCD to have to power. I'd rather have the shorter battery life and the LCD than that ugly keyboard they have on the front.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Oliver

Yeah but the lcd screen itself is off - it's just the touch layer that's active, and i thought that also doesn't draw much juice unless you actually use it? I use the buttons to change pages.

if what you say is true, i'd rather have a touch screen and the option to turn it off completely to get longer battery life

Tiny Tim

I've got pretty low battery life on mine, too. I have another question though about the Nook (I have classic) holding its charge. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but sometimes it seems like I'll put it on sleep mode, and then later when I turn it on again, the battery will be way less charged than when I less used it? This shouldn't be the case though, right? I thought, supposedly, the Nook just uses power when it's turning pages or doing something to change the e-ink screen. Oh, and there was a period of time when I just got suuuper busy and I didn't use the Nook at all for a week or so. It had turned itself off completely (which should have happened) but when I turned it back on... the battery was JUST barely hanging on and it needed a charge. Shouldn't it have been at the same level of charge as it was before I stopped using it, or is that just me asking too much of it? Has anybody else seen this happen?

Oliver

I read somewhere then when it's in sleep mode, it's still drawing a little bit of power - not sure why.

And i think i saw the same thing you did - haven't used it the last couple of days and i could swear the battery indicator went down a notch. Not 100% sure though since i didn't really memorize or make a note of what the exact level was the last time i used it.

My little test from before didn't work because the book i was reading at the time must have been formatted incorrectly - said it was something like a 1000 pages long, but each page turn skipped 2-4 pages. I guess it was formatted for much smaller page sizes?

anyhow - i still wish the battery lasted longer. I dont think i could read a 300-400 page book on a single charge.

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by merk
    I read somewhere then when it's in sleep mode, it's still drawing a little bit of power - not sure why.

And i think i saw the same thing you did - haven't used it the last couple of days and i could swear the battery indicator went down a notch. Not 100% sure though since i didn't really memorize or make a note of what the exact level was the last time i used it.

My little test from before didn't work because the book i was reading at the time must have been formatted incorrectly - said it was something like a 1000 pages long, but each page turn skipped 2-4 pages. I guess it was formatted for much smaller page sizes?

anyhow - i still wish the battery lasted longer. I dont think i could read a 300-400 page book on a single charge.
    Ahh okay, thanks! I guess it probably is true that it happens (the drawing a little power on sleep mode), but I don't know why either. Oh well! I guess as long as you plan ahead and charge it if you know you're going to need it, then it shouldn't be so bad? But it IS a little disappointing that after just a few days of normal reading, with no shopping on the wifi, it still needs to be charged up again.

Oliver

You can put it in airplane mode, which will keep the wifi off and should make the battery last a tiny bit longer. Also set the LCD screen timeout to a smaller value. But in the end i dont think it's going to make too much of a difference. Maybe they'll come out with a better battery

There are a things you should know. First is that you should set your time out on the LCD screen to turn off for as little time as you can. I think I have mine set for ten seconds. Second you should lower the brightness on the lowest setting you can and still be able to use it. Third, keep it in airplance mode with wifi off. This helps for some reason. Not just turning airplane mode on but turning wifi off before putting it into airplane mode. Last, your battery will improve with repeated charges until it reaches it's maximum capacity. My battery went from five days to eight or nine days with one to two hours of daily use. Let your battery run down to around 20% and then charge all the way back up. I think you'll see a difference in a month or two but it will be a slow improvement.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast