Battery life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery life

Oliver

Default Battery life

Hi,

I'm new to the Nook. In the info about the Nook, which say the battery will last 10 days.The battery life in my Nook is about 3 days. Is there something wrong with my Nooks battery? I do not have the wifi on except to order books.

Thanks,
    Vicki

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Battery life

Thats about all I get out of mine also, in airplane mode, with touch screen set to 10 seconds and backlight set at 20. Kinda disappointing but not a huge deal. I just charge it at night when it gets low.

Oliver

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

I get about 4 days on mine.

I get about 8 on mine (or I did before moving to the nook color). That was averaging one to two hours daily reading with airplane mode and wifi turned off. When I first got the unit I only got about 5 days out of it and it got better with subsequent chargings until I peaked out at 8 days. So I think you will find that the battery life will improve some. Also be sure you have the latest update because battery life has been part of the firmware upgrades.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Oliver

how good is the battery life as far as page turns go? I've been pretty disappointed as far as that goes. I could probably read just a single book on a full charge. BN telling us how many days the battery lasts doesn't really make much sense to me since with the e-ink display, the battery is really in use while the page is static. Page turns would be a better battery performance guide i think. as is, i think i get a couple hundred page turns on a full charge. I'll have to recharge it again and keep a count just to be sure.

I know amazon does the same thing for the kindle - telling you how many days it'll last instead of page turns. The kobo e-reader claims its battery life is good up to 14 days/10,000 page turns.

Am i mistaken about the battery use? Does just having the nook on (touch screen off/wifi off) drain the battery? i.e. would i get more page turns out of a single charge if i read faster?

Got my nook as an xmas present and so far i like it. I just wish the battery lasted longer.

Mr. Darcy

I have no personal experience (not a Nook owner yet), but I have been lurking on the boards for awhile...

What I've heard is that the 10-day estimate is based on approx. 1 hour per day of reading time. If you read more than that, your batter will not last as long. The more page-turns you have (I have not heard a number, or maybe I just missed it), the shorter your battery life will be.

There are also other various factors that may use more battery. But I think the main one that throws people off is the one hour per day - as many read way more than that.

As with any electronic device, they need to use SOMETHING to measure how long it lasts, but it can certainly be misleading or even confusing if people don't know what it's based on...

Berit

Oliver

I REALLY hope an hour a day is wrong - i'm pretty sure it is because I'm sure i read more then 10 hours on a single charge. Not to mention that i think the color nook is rated for about 8 hours, and that should be much more demanding as far as batteries go since it's an lcd display and not e-ink. One of the advantages, i thought, to e-ink displays is that they don't really consume any power until you need to update the display.

Maybe i just expected too much - i just thought i'd be able to read a couple of books on a single charge. Not that i've really needed to do that so far I just started a new book over 1000 pages. Charged the battery up to full at page 100. I'm at page 300 now and it's saying the battery is at 79%. So if that holds up, looks like i can get about 1000 pages out of a full charge, although i would have sworn it was less then that. I'm going to keep reading until the battery is near dead and i'll report back how many pages it lasted.

This has been discussed ad infinitum before but let me say that your battery charge will get better after several charges. When I first got my nook I could barely get five days of one to two hours of reading daily and now it gets around 8 to 9 days. For me battery charge is not that big a deal though because I always have access to charge it up. I recommend that you not charge it up until you get down to 25 or 20% range. It will improve but don't be unrealistic either and think you're going to get two weeks out of a full charge. Not gonna happen!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mr. Darcy

I don't think we can really compare the NookColor to the NookClassic. They have 2 different batteries - and the NookColor battery is not user-replaceable like the Nook Classic is.

So even if the NookColor is more demanding, it may have a more powerful battery to begin with.

Just speculation, I really don't know any of this for sure...but just something to consider...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast