User not activated when opening Google book on Nook



Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Oliver
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default User not activated when opening Google book on Nook

    I've researched old posts on this error, but mine seems to come at a different time.
    I brought the book into ADE as advertised.
    I have a B&N account.
    the nook has been registered to that account.

    I run ADE and see the book and the Nook on the ADE screen
    I drag the book from the ADE library to the Nook icon on ADE
    I eject the nook from the laptop
    i run the nook
    the book shows in My Documents
    I select it
    the screen blinks and then the dreaded "User not activated" message appears.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Tom Sawyer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: User not activated when opening Google book on Nook

    Quote Originally Posted by burrall
    I've researched old posts on this error, but mine seems to come at a different time.
    I brought the book into ADE as advertised.
    I have a B&N account.
    the nook has been registered to that account.


    I run ADE and see the book and the Nook on the ADE screen
    I drag the book from the ADE library to the Nook icon on ADE
    I eject the nook from the laptop
    i run the nook
    the book shows in My Documents
    I select it
    the screen blinks and then the dreaded "User not activated" message appears.

    Any suggestions?
    ADE is entirely separate from your B&N account. The computer and your Nook both need to be authorized within ADE.

    Complete info on using ADE can be found here:

    http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ht/true#M17152

  4. #3
    Oliver
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: User not activated when opening Google book on Nook

    thank you for your quick reply.

    I had used FrogAlum's directions to get the ADE user account, ADE installed, the computer and nook authorized, the book loaded into ADE and then dragged the book to the Nook. I felt I had followed the script faithfully, but I'm old.

    I checked in ADE and it shows the computer authorized.
    There seemed to be no place to authorize the Nook, so, following the directions, I deleted the Adobe-Digital-Editions file and the Nook entry disappeared from the bookshelves of ADE. I then closed and re-opened ade and connected the nook to the computer. Nook appeared again in the bookshelf section of ADE, but there was no appearance of the Device Setup Assistant. The A-D-E file re-appeared and the device file shows the nook and its serial number.

    i try to open the book in 'My Documents' and get 'User not activated'

    can I delete the book from the nook, uninstall ADE and start over, or is there history on the ADE site that will trip me up?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Tom Sawyer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: User not activated when opening Google book on Nook

    Quote Originally Posted by burrall
    thank you for your quick reply.

    I had used FrogAlum's directions to get the ADE user account, ADE installed, the computer and nook authorized, the book loaded into ADE and then dragged the book to the Nook. I felt I had followed the script faithfully, but I'm old.

    I checked in ADE and it shows the computer authorized.
    There seemed to be no place to authorize the Nook, so, following the directions, I deleted the Adobe-Digital-Editions file and the Nook entry disappeared from the bookshelves of ADE. I then closed and re-opened ade and connected the nook to the computer. Nook appeared again in the bookshelf section of ADE, but there was no appearance of the Device Setup Assistant. The A-D-E file re-appeared and the device file shows the nook and its serial number.

    i try to open the book in 'My Documents' and get 'User not activated'

    can I delete the book from the nook, uninstall ADE and start over, or is there history on the ADE site that will trip me up?
    I'm no spring chicken myself. By the way, what is a spring chicken?
    ADE can be very frustrating at times (thanks Adobe). You can delete the book from your Nook.
    I have read of others reinstalling ADE with no problem.

    Try this first:
    -Reconnect the Nook to your computer, open ADE.
    -The Nook should be listed on the left.
    -Click on the small triangle to the right of the word "Library" at the top.
    -Click "Authorize computer"

    Hopefully, it will detect the Nook and authorize it. I have both Nook classic & Nookcolor and had
    to authorize the NC manually.

  7. #5
    Oliver
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: User not activated when opening Google book on Nook

    i did, in fact, go thru that step to make sure that the computer was authorized.

    why would I be able to get all the way to having the book on the Nook to have an ADE issue? I'm new to this process, but it would seem that ADE wouldn't allow me to move the file to the Nook if there wasn't authorization for both the computer. And to issue an error which says "USER not activated'. That doesn't sound like computer not activated or reader not activated.

    I guess I will try to start over from the google site. but I'm not sure how to get the book completely off the Nook. I see how to 'return' a borrowed book, but nothing on how to delete a book.

    Do you have suggestions how to delete the book from the Nook? since the book is not a B&N file?

  8. #6
    Tom Sawyer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: User not activated when opening Google book on Nook

    Quote Originally Posted by burrall
    i did, in fact, go thru that step to make sure that the computer was authorized.

    why would I be able to get all the way to having the book on the Nook to have an ADE issue? I'm new to this process, but it would seem that ADE wouldn't allow me to move the file to the Nook if there wasn't authorization for both the computer. And to issue an error which says "USER not activated'. That doesn't sound like computer not activated or reader not activated.

    I guess I will try to start over from the google site. but I'm not sure how to get the book completely off the Nook. I see how to 'return' a borrowed book, but nothing on how to delete a book.

    Do you have suggestions how to delete the book from the Nook? since the book is not a B&N file?
    But did you try the Authorize button with the Nook connected? I don't think the wording changes even though you are authorizing the Nook, not the computer. It's been awhile since I did this, but I think it will let you transfer (but not open) the book to an unauthorized device.

    You can delete by connecting the Nook to your computer, the book should be in the "Digital Editions" folder on the Nook.

    Unfortunately, ADE is not a very good application.

  9. #7
    Mr. Darcy
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: User not activated when opening Google book on Nook

    I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I am having this problem with my nook as well. I have been on this thread and the other one and have followed the different steps repeatedly but I am still getting that stinking "user not activated" message. I recently returned my original nook non-color to my local BN store because of the cracked bezel issue and they in turn gave me a brand new one. On my old nook I had been reading library books with no problem.

    I am hoping you very knowledgeable people will help me out and find a cure for this problem!

    Thank you

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
  3. User Not Activated
    By birdey17 in forum original nook
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM
  4. Sony book on Nook "user not activated"???
    By knottshawk in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM
  5. Calibre and nook-user not activated?
    By lisag in forum original nook
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.0