So what, exactly, does archiving do?

Puck

Default So what, exactly, does archiving do?

OK, archiving means you can hide titles... and it means you can't read the titles on your nook until you unarchive them, but other than that, what is the purpose?

I had a 100+ BN Classics (all but one gotten as freebies). My internal memory was at 78% and I thought if I archived all of them, as some are large files (5MB, 10MB, even 20MB etc...), I could free up some internal memory. So I archived every one, connected to WiFi, did a check for BN content.

After doing so, my internal memory was STILL AT 78%!

Are all these files still on my Nook? If so, I don't get the point of this "feature".

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: So what, exactly, does archiving do?

Archiving is supposed to remove the local copy of the book also, but I'm not sure if it's 100% reliable. I've archived books and then manually checked the BN Downloads directory and seen that the files are no longer present, but I haven't archived a lot all at one time. Maybe there's a delay? Of course I've also had the nook make two copies of the books under some conditions. I loaned my 1st gen to a friend for a while. Despite it being unregistered, it still has some epubs sitting in the download directory. Not sure why they weren't erased.

Just to check though, what's the total amount of space it says you have?

Puck

The space that I had read identically before and after. However, today I took the device out hoping to catch the latest v1.7 update and just get it over with. Apparently BN isn't pushing that though, as it did not appear on my Nook. But what *did* happen is that I suddenly noticed a difference in used space, about 2% worth, which would account for all the books I attempted to archive the time before.

So I guess they did get archived properly, it just took several times of checking for new BN content on two different outings to do it.

One thing I also noticed, is that many books that had a LendMe icon on display lost it. They are still lendable if one goes into "Item Details & Options", but they just don't display the icon now. Oddly, some other books that I added to my library that were not LendMe, but then became LendMe after the fact, they still don't show as lendable from the device, but just from my online library. No worry to me, I do all my lending from my online library. I would say that BN still has a few bugs to work out in their archiving scheme as well as updating on LendMe enabled books.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Lend Me is controlled by the publishers. They change periodically.

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by cbtengr
    Lend Me is controlled by the publishers. They change periodically.
    I get that... trust me, in April, I lost a lot of LendMe books as the Agency Six publishers more or less bailed out of the program! That's why I never trust what a book says on my device, and I always go to my online library to check lending status.

What I was talking about was the disappearance of LendMe icons on books that ARE still lendable, as confirmed by the presence of the LendMe icon in my online library at BN.com. Formerly, said books also had LendMe icons showing on the device. Now, the icons are only present online. The books are still lendable, I just lent one in fact! Just thought it was something interesting to note, and that clearly our online libraries at BN.com are NOT all that in "sync" with our libraries on our devices in this respect.