How to tell what you have finished reading and/or started?

Oliver

Question How to tell what you have finished reading and/or started?

Hi all,

Perhaps I have missed something obvious, so please bear with me. I have a Nook that I have loaded up with books from various sources. Some B&N, some from elsewhere. Mostly epub format.
    I have over 200 books on my device. My issue is that I cannot always remember which ones I started and then set aside intending to finish reading later, or whether I finished the book, or which one I left off on in a multi-book series. So far, all I can figure to do is open each item and see where it lands. If it lands on the last page, then I know I have finished it. If it lands on page 43 of 300, then I know I only started reading it.

Needless to say, it is extremely inconvenient and time-consuming to open each book in order to know its status. My girlfriend has a competitor's e-reader, the one that starts with a K, and each of her book thumbnails displays a number or % in the lower right-hand corner showing you how much of it has been read. So, you can scroll through the books and easily see at a glance the status of each item. Very convenient.

Does the Nook really not offer something similar??? I have scoured help pages and googled and even asked on Nook facebook pages, but have not found anything.

Comments please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

So, 40 views so far and nobody knows of a way? Can it be there there is not any way to do this?

As a person who used to work in IT and had input to various software user interfaces, I find this omission on the part of the Nook team somewhat stunning. It means they really didn't consider usability much beyond how the page looks on the screen.

Oliver

This is an interesting question, one that I never really thought about. I'm not quite sure why this would be a problem...I put my books in folders and (although somewhat cumbersome) I shift them around as needed. I have a partially read folder, a delete folder, etc. Although the idea of % read is intriguing. Archiving is also a way to save good books. I'm sure you have thought of all this. I'm thinking that you just like the quick view that the competitor has.... I personally have never tried other e-Readers, so don't know what I'm missing

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Thanks for the response!

It did not occur to me to make folders and do it that way. I do a fair bit of file management coincidental to my work, so I know how, but I didn't even know I could make a folder on the Nook. Digging through multiple locations is not terribly appealing, though I suppose it could work. I had this apparently nutty idea that I could scroll through my books much like I would when scanning a bookshelf, and that I might be treated to some helpful meta-data as I did so. Seeing my gal's K***dle only fueled that desire. I searched high and low to see if I could find something else to enable or turn on, but there wasn't anything, it seems. For that matter, I couldn't find a way to make my library thumbnails and text large enough to be easy for my aging eyes to read easily, either. Book text yes, Library listing... can't find a setting for it.

I end up with lots of books that are parts of a series and it gets hard to keep track of where I am at in the series or thinking I should go see if a new installment has been published.

FWIW, even though I posted in the Original Nook folder, mine is actually a Glowlight Plus, but I failed to find a forum for it. I like how it displays the book pages very much, so they did get that right. I really did NOT want to feed the 800 lb. gorilla with my ereader purchase so that pushed me toward B&N. At the time, the Glowlight Plus was the only waterproof/resistant ereader that I could find, and I wanted to be able to take it on camping trips and whatnot without having to take extreme protective measures.

So, here I am, still reading every day on my Nook, wishing the software were better.

Oliver

I have a Nook Glowlight, I adjust the font size ALL THE TIME! Especially at the end of the day/evening my eyes are more tired so voila, increase the font. It doesn't matter whether it is a book I've purchased or something I get from the library... I have lots of books that are in a series and so I make folders (Nook calls them "My Shelves") for them. When I purchase a book it automatically goes into the "All My Items". I then find it and I give it a long tap/hold (not a light tap, that opens it to read) and it opens a dialogue box giving me choices (like Add to Shelf, or Archive, etc). I then put it into any "Shelf" that I have already created. I also have lots of "single" books that are just listed alphabetically. Like you, I chose Nook because I did not want to 'support' the competition.