fonts and font sizes. inconsistent?

Mowgli

Default fonts and font sizes. inconsistent?

I really would like to know this. I have downloaded a number of books. They are so inconsistent in so many ways as I read them that I am wondering if you all are having the same experience.

Let me start by saying I love my nook. I can read it fine.

Now for the inconsistencies.

1. I am reading a book called Her Fearful Symmetry. I love it by the way. When I open it to read, I see the actual bookcover thumbnail at the bottom right in the LCD screen. All the fonts show in every size. I am in Helvetica Neue and in Extra Large. All the page numbers show and the progress bar shows. If I switch the font to small, I do not see the page numbers of progress bar. I think if I keep reading they will reappear. Full page numbers are 1405.

2. I downloaded Ted Kennedy's True Compass. The book cover thumbnail does not appear in the bottom right corner of the reading now LCD screen. The font of Helvetica Neue shows Extra Large when checked, but is actually Large. It will not show extra large. Page number is 431. I am kind of shocked that Her Fearful Symmetry has so many more pages showing.

3. Domenick Dunne's brand new book is called Too Much Money. I do not see the book cover thumb nail in the bottom right corner. It shows that I have Hevetica Neue and extra large checked. But it is not showing that font. The only font is shows is Amasis, even though it says Helvetica.

These are just 3 books. With all kinds of inconsistencies. Do you find this with your books? I called tech support and the guy there got the same thing except he got different page numbers on Her Fearful Symmetry. Something like 400 something.

He said that each publisher determines the fonts and the sizes B&N can present. I said that the Kindle gives me the choice of the same 6 sizes (no font choices) every time. He said that is because B&N respect the publishers and do not dictate the way they format it. That's why every book will have these inconsistencies. He said that Amazon has so much fewer books. That is ridiculous as far as I am concerned. I do not get that. I told him I need the largest size on every book I read. Yet I can't depend on nook to do that for me.

I cannot stand these inconsistencies. Do you find this too? Or is there something wrong with my nook itself? I do not think there is, but I still would like to know.

Her Fearful Symmetry is the only book I have that is formatted to perfection. Book cover showing. Every page I turn shows a number change. Almost. Not always. But mostly. I don't like if i change the font size the book numbers and progress bar disappears for several pages into reading. But I do love how everything works.

Love to hear your experience. Please tell me it's not my nook. I think that is all I care about actually. I can't tell that yet. It's too new and with my Kindle every book worked the exact same way. Thanks for reading this. Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Default Re: fonts and font sizes. inconsistent?

Unfortunately I think the person you spoke with is correct. I believe the format nook went with allows for more customization on the publishers side. Which really may not be a good thing for nook users, since most publishers have no clue what they are doing. But I noticed when I was playing with the device in B&N, I had the font set to Small, and on some books small was unreadable and in others it was very readable, and then others it was a tad too big for my liking. I do like how consistent Kindle books are, but I think the choices *could* be a good thing for nook books, IF publishers knew what they were doing and used it to their advantage. Instead it seems like they are just picking something, anything, and pushing it along. Not so good for us readers. But I don’t think these inconsistencies are a fault in the nook, except that maybe B&N should have a more standard format for publishers to follow.

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Puck

Just as an FYI, the fonts on the Kindle are inconsistent as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

The manual has a lot to say on this. Here are the interesting bits:

Reader Text Font

Some eBooks and periodicals specify the text font in which the digital content is displayed. If the publisher specifes a text font, then the content is displayed in that font if the font is embedded in the content.

Other eBooks and periodicals leave the choice of font to the Reader, in which case your nook uses one of three fonts. Amasis is a serif font. Helvetica Neue is a sans serif font. Light Classic is a serif font...

The rules for the choice of text font are:

• EPUB format: Content is displayed in the text font you choose in Settings or in the Reader.

• PDB format: Content is displayed in the text font you choose in Settings or in the Reader, with the one exception: Light Classic is not available for PDB files. If you choose Light Classic, then your nook uses Amasis for content in PDB format.

• PDF format: Content is displayed in the font(s) embedded in the PDF file, or in the font Light Classic if a font is not embedded in the PDF file. You cannot change the font in which a PDF file is displayed.

In all cases, scanned content (for example, scans of entire pages or images that contain text) displays whatever text font was scanned.

To change the Reader text font:
    Changes in the text font only afect EPUB and PDB files in the Reader. They do not change the text font for PDF files. They do not change the text font in The Daily, Shop, library, or settings. They do not change the text font in the touchscreen menus.

Reader Text Sizes

You have a choice of five text sizes for all eBooks and periodicals. In Settings, you can choose the text size Extra small, Small, Medium, Large, or Extra large. You can also choose a text size in the Reader. Your choice affects the actual text size, but it does so diferently for PDB, EPUB, and PDF files.

PDB Files

Text sizes are simplest for PDB files. The five sizes are the same from five to file. Medium in one eBook is the same as Medium in the next one. The other sizes are the same as well.

EPUB Files

EPUB files can contain instructions that specify the size of body text and other text, for example chapter titles.

When displayed, the text of digital content in EPUB, PDB, and reflowable PDF documents is in one of fve sizes. For most digital content, medium will be medium will be medium (the same size medium). The other sizes will be the same as well. But there are exceptions to every rule. In some cases, the fonts will be larger than usual, and in other cases smaller. In these cases, you should still be able to choose a text size that works for you.

In Settings, the sizes are identifed as Extra small, Small, Medium, Large, and Extra large. Other text in digital content, for example, chapter and section headings, is also sized proportionally based on the choice of Reader text size.

Very useful and good information SuperC142! Thanks for taking the time to post that!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Administrator

Thanks for posting that info!! I was wondering why one book I looked at had two choices of font, and the other 3. I wonder why Light Classic doesn't work on pdb files?

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

That is sort of weird... I dunno Rachel!

publishers can restrict the fonts....

Mowgli

thanks so much superc142, that was very helpful. i appreciate that so much.