Let's embed fonts into non Western ePub books of choice! - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tiny Tim

Default Re: Let's embed fonts into non Western ePub books of choice!

Quote Originally Posted by sPACEYE
    It's my pleasure (i njama za szto)!

As for Extra CSS - make sure you have it set in global Calibre's Preferences at first (Preferences> Conversion> Look & Feel: Extra CSS). Like I mentioned in the original post it took me a couple of app restarts under Ubuntu to make it appear on individual ebook Conversion screen, though no such problem was met under Windows. Once again presuming this piece of app's code is all the same under different platforms it's quite strange. Well, try to tick some option at that Look & Feel screen of the Global Preferences and later untick it - maybe this will trigger the code to be read and set later on actual conversion. I recall I set "UTF-8" for Input character encoding.
    I'll give that a try, now I wonder if there is a way to apply this to newspapers downloaded via recipes without having to manually convert them again

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

leschnei

Hi
    It's about 1 am and perhaps I am not thinking straight, but where is that attachment:
    "Download the attached plugin file (originally from Paul Tomashevskyi, GPL, see MobileRead thread)"

I can't see plugin.

Please help. Thanks

Tom Sawyer

Hey mate,

The attached plugin file is given at the end of my post.
    Here's the link if you somehow miss it: https://www.nookboards.com/forum/inde...4.0;attach=474

However, please head to this article on Nookdevs site - it's well written and is better than my solution since the latter embeds fonts in an ePub, while theirs only points to locally (i.e. on nook's file system) stored fonts (either system or sideloaded). It's much better in case you would only use this languages solution just for reading on the nook.

Hope that helps and cheers from Minsk, Belarus.
    wbr,
    Vad

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

leschnei

Thanks Vad
    I am still having problems... I went to http://www.russlib.ru/ and downloaded a few books. They are txt file with whatever encoding it is that it's using... When I pull it into Calibre and then try to "convert" - I look into the epub file with 7zip - I don't see it being there. So, for example, 1.7 MB txt file (http://www.russlib.ru/save.php?file=96223) - somehow is not included in the epub, the epub itself is only 160 kb and the biggest thing there is a file called "temp_calibre_txt_input_to_html.html" - which seems to be filled with some crap...

What in the world am I doing wrong?

The only thing that semi-worked for me:
    1) Take that .txt file open in Word or Wordpad.
    2) Change font to "Liberation"
    3) Save as rtf.
    4) Use http://code.google.com/p/epub-tools/...0.jar&can=2&q= tool to convert to epub without embedding fonts
    5) Manually change .css to point to Liberation fonts that I put on the nook.
    6) Put the file into Nook.

Now Russian characters show up, but the lines are broken up in such a horrible way - that screen has like 1.5 line of text - space of 1 line - makes it very hard to read.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong???
    Thanks - Спасибо!!!!

This is the output in calibre:

Forcing temp_calibre_txt_input_to_html.html into XHTML namespace
    Merging user specified metadata...
    Detecting structure...
    Auto generated TOC with 0 entries.
    Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
    Property: Not valid for profile "['CSS Fonts Module Level 3 @font-face properties']" but valid "CSS Level 2.1" value: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif [3:1: font-family]
    Property: Not valid for profile "['CSS Fonts Module Level 3 @font-face properties']" but valid "CSS Level 2.1" value: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif [9:1: font-family]
    Property: Not valid for profile "['CSS Fonts Module Level 3 @font-face properties']" but valid "CSS Level 2.1" value: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif [15:1: font-family]
    Property: Not valid for profile "['CSS Fonts Module Level 3 @font-face properties']" but valid "CSS Level 2.1" value: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif [21:1: font-family]
    Source base font size is 12.00000pt
    Cleaning up manifest...
    Trimming unused files from manifest...
    Parsing stylesheet.css ...
    Creating EPUB Output...
    Looking for large trees in temp_calibre_txt_input_to_html.html...
    No large trees found
    Generating default cover

EPUB output written to c:\docume~1\schnei~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.46_ ormusn.epub

Tom Sawyer

I've sent you a PM.
    Let's look into this situation together and later on publish a small guide here for those who might bump into the very same problem.
    wbr,
    Vad

drawone

thanks for the wonderful post!!!
    i really needed this. i am going to try this tonight

thanks

vratner

Excellent post. I was able to follow all the steps, and got it working. Well, sort of... For whatever reason, I've got a book that still displays "???"'s in some parts of the text. Interestingly enough, it shows fine in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), but not on my Nook. It looks like the problem is only related to Italic font. I have tried tweaking different options, as well as using different fonts (MinionPro, DejaVu), but the result is the same. It drives me nuts. Any ideas? Thank you...

P.S. You can send me a PM at [email protected] (work email). I'm also fluent in Russian, so Заранее Спасибо!

Mad Hatter

@ vratner: Welcome to NOOKBOARDS!

There are definitely a number of techies that can help you out (I'm thinking Vadim and others). Hang tight for a response and good luck with your 'mission'.

Donna

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    @ vratner: Welcome to NOOKBOARDS!

There are definitely a number of techies that can help you out (I'm thinking Vadim and others). Hang tight for a response and good luck with your 'mission'.
    Yep, we've got it - the original ebook was converted into ePub using calibre and spotted CSS declarations which overtook over italic in reader app. I've decided not to dive in where and how it does so and removed those previously generated *.css files from the archive and then converted it using nookdevs method. I'm off for a cig and coffee while somebody over there better be smiling as they are seeing the nightmare being gone baby gone!
    wbr,
    Vad

Mad Hatter

Vadim, 'I'm off for a cig and coffee'...

Thanks for piping up.

Have a cuppa' for me.

I'd love to have a smoke, but I gave them up (I still miss them though) 29 years ago. A couple of times a year, I will treat myself to a very nice cigar and pair it with a cognac while sitting on our screened in porch. It's pretty warm here today , so I may need to go home tonight to do that.

Donna

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast