Week 1 Reading Assignment for Boomerang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puck

Default Week 1 Reading Assignment for Boomerang

Hi everyone,

Welcome to Nook Boards Book Club. I am really excited that the folks here at Nook Boards not only made Boomerang the first selection to be read and discussed here, but asked me to participate. I'll be giving you your reading assignments, posting some questions/topics of my own, and fielding questions/ducking sharp objects as we go.

But for starters we're just going to have your first "assignment". I was all set to say "Read up to page 87" when I realized that with those lovely ebook reading devices such a paper oriented instruction might very well result in a bit of inconsistency, not to mention understandable confusion. Worst case scenario (at least from my perspective) would be banishment from the board and the obligation to wear a big "L" for Luddite on my sleeve.

But I caught myself in time and so here is your non-page dependent assignment:

Let's aim for reading up to and including Lucky Chapter 13.

Next week at about this time I'll check back in with the next "Read up to" assignment and at that time I'll also post some questions relating to what you've already read. We'll also open things up for general discussion and you can certainly toss some questions my way. If, however, answering a question might compromise the reading experience, I respectfully reserve the right to hem and haw and stonewall. For your own good, mind you.

And remember, this week it's just reading time! The highbrow Algonquin Round Table type discussion begins next week!

I hope you enjoy Boomerang and I'm looking forward to the 10th!

Best,
    Alan
    Best,
    Alan Hutcheson
    author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue played out by characters operating way outside their comfort zones.

Boomerang at Barnes and Noble

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Weekly Reading Assignment for Boomerang

Oh. boy...I haven't had homework in almost 20 years! I'm a little nervous....

Thanks Alan. I look forward to getting started on "Boomerang".

Paul

Administrator

Default Re: Week 1 Reading Assignment for Boomerang

Woot! Time to get started reading

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Yay! Let's do it!
    currently reading on nook:

Home Safe - Elizabeth Berg
    Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton

Puck

Well, I guess I have my homework done, I'm almost through with Chapter 20 (on page 94), but may have to go back and review before the end of the week!

I've been reading it on my Sony Pocket Reader, and one thing I noticed on it, no matter the font size, it keeps track of the actual page number. I read using the medium font (the Sony only has S, M, & L), and when the current page shows a natural page break that would fall at the end of the page using the small font, it displays both page numbers (i.e. Page 21-22). Kind of a nice feature if you want every one on the same page, but folks are reading with different fonts!

Anyway, that has nothing to do with this thread, but thought I'd share my observation... Still waiting my my neighbor to come over and drop off my Nook! I'm really looking forward to the discussion next week!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul58

I've been reading it on my Sony Pocket Reader, and one thing I noticed on it, no matter the font size, it keeps track of the actual page number.
    I've noticed this on my nook for some books, but not for Boomerang, so I'm glad we got Chapters.

Puck

I wonder if it's because Boomerang is in epub format for the Adobe Reader, which I think is slightly different than that of the epub of the nook and the different ereaders handle them differently. I know the ebooks I downloaded from B&N that are in their format can't be read on the Sony, I'm hoping the ebooks I have on my Sony will be readable on my Nook...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul58
    I wonder if it's because Boomerang is in epub format for the Adobe Reader, which I think is slightly different than that of the epub of the nook and the different ereaders handle them differently. I know the ebooks I downloaded from B&N that are in their format can't be read on the Sony, I'm hoping the ebooks I have on my Sony will be readable on my Nook...
    Well, I ordered my copy from B&N to help support the band, so I don't know if that would apply in this particular case.

It does make one wonder, though.

Sydney

Ready to rock or roll or should that be nook a book! Somehow that sounds.... Homework - yeah for more homework. Boomerang will probably be a bit more easier to read than my Art History. Reading through Chapter 13, rather than pages a good idea. Haven't been quite sure to figure out whether pages are regular book pages or nook pages so haven't been mentioning what page I'm on. Off to read!!!!

OK!! I am DIVING IN now! Chapter 13, watch out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast