Week Two Questions

Puck

Default Week Two Questions

Here we go with the next round of questions. Remember, there is no such thing as a wrong answer. Well, yes there is, but that doesn't make them bad or anything.

1. Tom Clancy gets a mention in Chapter 14 when we are meeting Phillips Steve. Where did the previous reference to Clancy happen in Week One’s reading?

2. The very short chapter introducing Jerry Kwiatkowski is meant to help us learn about his character and circumstances. What did you learn about Jerry?

3. Roberta, Nicholas Gatting’s secretary, has a romance novel by Dolores DeLacey she is anxious to read. Just a couple of chapters earlier we learned the real identity behind the non de plume of Dolores DeLacey. Do you recall who that is?

4. The mysterious presence on Phillips Steve’s office computer goes by what punctuation symbol? Any ideas who that might be? (see question Number One!)

5. What scene or description, if any of them, did the best job for you in conveying the heat in Phoenix?

6. What skill of Jerry’s does he employ in helping Ted enter into a conversation with the driver behind them in line to exit the Sky Harbor parking garage?

7. Simple acts of kindness help us define the noble, or at least less flawed, characters in Boomerang. Who are those characters and what were their acts of kindness?

8. Ted’s motivation to become involved in retrieving the boomerang is centered on what object? Does his attachment to this object seem plausible to you?

9. Ted and Jerry have a less than ideal past that so far has not been fully explained. Has this gotten in the way at all or are you confident that all will be explained and “let’s just get on with the story.”?

10. Pick one character and cast an actor or actress to play the part in a movie version. (I know, that's not a question, but it just seems kind of fun.)

Alan
    Best,
    Alan Hutcheson
    author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue played out by characters operating way outside their comfort zones.

Boomerang at Barnes and Noble

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

dcq2

Default Re: Week Two Questions

Wow. These questions make me realize that either I skim too much as I read, or I have a really bad memory. But, the "search" function on Nook bailed me out.

1. Tom Clancy gets a mention in Chapter 14 when we are meeting Phillips Steve. Where did the previous reference to Clancy happen in Week One’s reading?

Tom Clancy’s books can be found in Wilson’s den, along with a collection of other books about global espionage.

2. The very short chapter introducing Jerry Kwiatkowski is meant to help us learn about his character and circumstances. What did you learn about Jerry?

Given name: Gerry Kwiatkowski
    Home base: Mesa, Arizona
    ~Lives a meagre existence and appears to be sexually deprived

3. Roberta, Nicholas Gatting’s secretary, has a romance novel by Dolores DeLacey she is anxious to read. Just a couple of chapters earlier we learned the real identity behind the non de plume of Dolores DeLacey. Do you recall who that is?

Mrs. Kinsbury, Phillips Steve’s detached and crusty secretary

4. The mysterious presence on Phillips Steve’s office computer goes by what punctuation symbol? Any ideas who that might be? (see question Number One!)

Ampersand. ?Wilson

5. What scene or description, if any of them, did the best job for you in conveying the heat in Phoenix?

The scene involving Amelia fading out of consciousness due to heat exposure and dehydration

6. What skill of Jerry’s does he employ in helping Ted enter into a conversation with the driver behind them in line to exit the Sky Harbor parking garage?

First, his skill as a car thief to obtain the suburban. Next, his “gift for gab”, as he distracts the parking lot attendant, allowing Ted to seek out 13 cents from the driver behind them.

7. Simple acts of kindness help us define the noble, or at least less flawed, characters in Boomerang. Who are those characters and what were their acts of kindness?

1.)Although he had the opportunity to take hundreds of dollars from the wallet of the man driving the Hummer, Ted took only a dollar, and returned the change.
    2.)Paul comes to Doreen’s assistance, considerately caring for Amelia.
    3.)It was exceptionally kind of Cy to look after Doreen, as she insistently engaged Leslie in hand to hand combat.
    4.)Amelia oozes kindness and generosity… saves special treats for Oz, helps out Kenny, and allows Doreen to plow ahead without rebuke even when she is clearly in the wrong.

8. Ted’s motivation to become involved in retrieving the boomerang is centered on what object? Does his attachment to this object seem plausible to you?

Sarah, his rare and valuable Gibson guitar. Yes, even the name “Sarah” seems to fit with Ted’s attachment to her

9. Ted and Jerry have a less than ideal past that so far has not been fully explained. Has this gotten in the way at all or are you confident that all will be explained and “let’s just get on with the story.”?

Whatever happened in Chicago remains a bit of an uncomfortable puzzle to me at this point.

10. Pick one character and cast an actor or actress to play the part in a movie version. (I know, that's not a question, but it just seems kind of fun.)

I’d like to see Kathy Bates play Doreen. Or, if she’s unavailable, Rosie O’Donnell would be my second choice.

In a separate, locked, glass enclosed case were the works of Tom Clancy, the genre's Supreme Grand Master.

His first name is really Gerald. He's known as Jerry, of course. He's in Mesa, AZ. His apartment appears in need of better accoutrements. He is short on money. He can run his air conditioner about an hour a day; to keep cool he sleeps on the floor in his air mattress, where he dreams of M'Lady's Boudoir catalog's model, Felicity Amborsia. His air mattress leaks. At this point Jerry seems to be in dire straits. My first impression of him: a down on his luck dude.

Phillips Steve's secretary, Mrs. Kinsbury

&
    Franklin Quincy Wilson II

“Phoenix?” said Berringer. “What's in Phoenix?”
    “Heat and thunderstorms,” said Shipe from under the pillow. “this time of year it's nothing but heat and thunderstorms.”
    (I have spent time in Phoenix. The mere mention of Mesa, or Phoenix brings back profound memories of the heat there.)

I believe Jerry has the skill of manipulation going for him in this scene. He's revealed there's 10 grand involved, and Ted NEEDS money to get his guitar back. Ted now wants to get on with this job, get the heck out of Sky Harbor, and he springs into action to get the thirteen cents from the guy in the Hummer.

Amelia, Cy, Ted, and Jerry come to mind.

8.Ted’s motivation to become involved in retrieving the boomerang is centered on what object? Does his attachment to this object seem plausible to you?

His guitar.
    It does indeed seem plausible. I like the development of this character.

9.Ted and Jerry have a less than ideal past that so far has not been fully explained. Has this gotten in the way at all or are you confident that all will be explained and “let’s just get on with the story.”?

By this time, I feel, Alan, I am in your good hands. I know the true story of these two men will show up as the story progresses. I am confident I will not be left hanging.

10.Pick one character and cast an actor or actress to play the part in a movie version. (I know, that's not a question, but it just seems kind of fun.)

Tom Cruise as Jerry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

F.Q. Wilson II’s den.

He certainly has a rich dream life.

Phillips Steve prudish administrative staff of one, Mrs. Kinsbury.

&

For me, the broken A/C in ‘Sarge’ Wacknov’s office did even more to explain the heat than Amelia’s faint.

Mostly gab, but car thief skills as well.

I can’t really add anything to dcq2’s answer.

Ted’s attachment to Sarah seems perfectly plausible.

I think enough has been explained so far, but I am curious to know more, especially about Ted.

I could picture Rosie O'Donnell as Doreen.

Tiny Tim

Q 10. -- I just want to add that I wrote my answer before reading dcq2's response to that question.

Great minds think alike?

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by arne_bue

10.Pick one character and cast an actor or actress to play the part in a movie version. (I know, that's not a question, but it just seems kind of fun.)

Tom Cruise as Jerry.

Inspired!

Any ideas for Ted or Bethie?

Best,
    Alan Hutcheson
    author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue played out by characters operating way outside their comfort zones.

Default Re: Week Two Questions Who could play TED? BETHIE?

hmm..
    I would think Jeff Bridges could pull the roll of Ted off quite well.
    Bethie? Not so sure... there are so many young actresses who
    could work that roll well.
    ARNE

Puck

Well now I hadn't thought of Jeff Bridges, but he's a wonderful actor. I do think that any casting director would have their greatest challenge in getting the pairing of Ted and Jerry just right. I'm seeing Stanley Tucci as Quinny/Wilson/Ampersand, but that's just me.
    Best,
    Alan Hutcheson