Emma by Jane Austen Book Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Emma by Jane Austen Book Club

Below is the information you need to join us for our February book club. Please remember even if you can't make the dates we have outlined, you are welcome to join the club at any time and respond to the questions as you read!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow member, Jill has agreed to run this month's classic themed book club for us. We will be reading Emma by Jane Austen.

So how will this work? It's pretty simple really, these will be the dates we will be following ....

January 31, 2010 - Jill will give us the first set of pages to read by Sunday, February 7, 2010.

February 7, 2010 - Jill will post the first set of questions for us to answer and give us the next set of pages to read by Sunday, February 14, 2010.

February 14, 2010 - Jill will post the second set of questions for us to answer and give us the next set of pages to read by Sunday, February 21, 2010.

February 21, 2010 - Jill will post the third set of questions for us to answer and give us the next set of pages to read by Sunday, February 28, 2010.

February 28, 2010 - Jill will post the last set of questions for us to answer and we will have a wrap up of the book club.

Where is the book Available?

Emma can be found all over the web for free. B&N has it as a free download from Google books, though I personally would not suggest that as those books tend to be riddled with typos and can be frustrating to read.

I would suggest picking up your copy of the book here: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/45

Download the ePub version of the book, and side-load it to your nook. If you need help with that, feel free to ask.

As I mentioned you can pick the book up at any of your preferred sources, you do not have to use the site I mentioned. I am sure Jill will give us "read to" points by chapter so any version will work.

Happy Reading!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Emma by Jane Austen Book Club

What a great excuse to reread this terrific book. Don't tell anyone, but this non-ereader Luddite will be reading a hardback copy, that is part of our complete collection of Austen's novels, but the words are the same!

Best,
    Alan Hutcheson
    author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue played out by characters operating way outside their comfort zones.

Boomerang at Barnes and Noble

wdblevin

Quote Originally Posted by Plumboz
    What a great excuse to reread this terrific book. Don't tell anyone, but this non-ereader Luddite will be reading a hardback copy, that is part of our complete collection of Austen's novels, but the words are the same!

I might just join you with my hardcopy of Emma (which I got from a used book store in the MKE airport a couple of years ago)... Actually, I keep the book in my car for those times that I have some minutes to just chill 'n enjoy. I think I have something like 5 paperback books in my car just for those situations.

Living where I do (SE Wisconsin), I could never take a chance of leaving my Nook in the car with this current cold snap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Just thought I'd let everyone know that PBS has started the Emma mini-series. I think it started on the 24th and will be running on Sunday nights at 9/8c.
    Now Reading:

Shutter Island
    by Dennis Lehane

Tiny Tim

And for anyone looking for a place to watch the pbs version, try here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/watch.html

Tom Sawyer

Hey everyone, I know I don't need to post the reading assignment until Sunday, but I thought I'd give people a head-start.

So for Sunday, Feb. 7, let's read up to (and including) Chapter 14, in Part 1.

When reading, try to keep notes of things that interested you, or that you found confusing, or just anything that pops into your heads. I just want to make sure that you get to share your impressions, even if I don't have a specific question to prompt them. Of course I will be posting questions, but remember you are free to come up with your own ideas for discussion as well!

Jill
    Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Quote Originally Posted by MeezerKit
    And for anyone looking for a place to watch the pbs version, try here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/watch.html

Thanks I have set my DVR to tape the rest of the series. I am going to have to watch Part One online.

I was not sure I would enjoy this book. I am really enjoying it.

Mr. Darcy

I'm on the fence as to join or not. Before Emma was announced my next book to read was Pride and Prejudice as I've never read it. Which do you guys think I should go for first??

Quote Originally Posted by Prendy
    I'm on the fence as to join or not. Before Emma was announced my next book to read was Pride and Prejudice as I've never read it. Which do you guys think I should go for first??

Why don't you join us for Emma. I would be interested in reading another book by Jane Austen. Maybe we can read Pride and Prejudice after we read Emma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast