Emma Questions, Week Two

Tom Sawyer

Default Emma Questions, Week Two

Hey hey! I hope everyone is enjoying the novel, so here are a few questions for you. Well, here goes:

1. What did you think of Jane's reception of Mr. Elton's professions of love toward her? Was she too harsh? Was he out of line? Would you have liked her to accept?

2. What do you think about Emma's feelings toward Jane Fairfax? Do you like Jane? Dislike her? Why do you think Emma feels the way she does about her?

3. Are you happy that Mr. Elton is getting married? Do you think this will be a good or bad thing for the community? For Harriet?

4. What do you think of Emma's impressions about Mr. Elton after he returns from Bath? We are told of "her impression of his not being improved by the mixture of pique and pretension, now spread over his air." Do you find that she is just mad that her match-making didn't work, or do you think that he is really changed for the worse?

5. We've finally gotten to meet Mr. Frank Churchill. What do you think of him? Was he what you expected?

6. How did you feel about finding out that Frank had gone to London to get his hair cut? Why do you think such emphasis was placed on this in the book? Should he have done that?

7. What did you think of Emma's reluctance to go to the Coles' for dinner? Should she have refused? Should they have invited her before?

8. Who do you think gave Jane Fairfax the pianoforte? The Campbells, Dixons (Mr. & Mrs./ Mr./ Mrs.?), Mr. Knightley, anyone else? Why do you think that the person or people you suspect did it?

9. Do you think that Emma should have told Frank about her suspicions?

10. Why do you think Frank takes such pleasure in tormenting Jane Fairfax about this the day after the dinner at Coles'?

11. Do you think that Emma will stick to her guns about not wanting to get married?

10. Just a little bit of fun here. If you could be the match-maker in the novel, what couples would you make from the characters we know? Why?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'd really love to see you guys putting up some questions of your own and see if we can get a little bit more discussion going. Remember, it's ok to disagree with somebody about their opinions, as long as you do it nicely!

Haha, have fun with these and I can't wait to see your answers!
    Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Emma Questions, Week Two

Here are my responses for Week #2:

1. What did you think of Jane's reception of Mr. Elton's professions of love toward her? Was she too harsh? Was he out of line? Would you have liked her to accept?
    Emma was so clueless to his intentions! I thought Emma was harsh with him but I think that was mostly out of her utter surprise for his affections for her. I don’t think she was out of line. I didn’t want her to accept. I think that he is looking for a wife with money.

2. What do you think about Emma's feelings toward Jane Fairfax? Do you like Jane? Dislike her? Why do you think Emma feels the way she does about her?
    I think that Emma is jealous of Jane Fairfax. Emma is used to be the center of attention and doesn’t like it when others speak of Jane’s talents and accomplishments. Emma is Queen Bee and doesn’t want to share her crown. I don’t really like or dislike Jane at this point. She seems quiet, reserved, and a bit mysterious. It is hard to get a fix on her because she is spoken so highly of by Miss Bates and so badly of by Emma.

3. Are you happy that Mr. Elton is getting married? Do you think this will be a good or bad thing for the community? For Harriet?
    I am glad that he is out of the picture; I don’t necessarily feel happy for him. I think that Harriet will be forced to move on because he is no longer a possibility.

4. What do you think of Emma's impressions about Mr. Elton after he returns from Bath? We are told of "her impression of his not being improved by the mixture of pique and pretension, now spread over his air." Do you find that she is just mad that her match-making didn't work, or do you think that he is really changed for the worse?
    I think he probably had changed for the worse. He felt snubbed by Emma and wanted everyone to think that his new match was superior to Emma and Harriet.

5. We've finally gotten to meet Mr. Frank Churchill. What do you think of him? Was he what you expected?
    I thought he would be more dashing and elegant. He doesn’t seem very genuine to me.

6. How did you feel about finding out that Frank had gone to London to get his hair cut? Why do you think such emphasis was placed on this in the book? Should he have done that?
    I think he went to London for something else and the haircut was his excuse to go there. OR I think that he is showing off his status by going to London just for a haircut.

7. What did you think of Emma's reluctance to go to the Coles' for dinner? Should she have refused? Should they have invited her before?
    I think she is reluctant because she feels that the Coles are beneath her in status. They are “new money” and weren’t born into their position in society. I don’t think that she should refuse for that reason. I believe the Coles when they wrote that they were waiting to see if they could obtain a screen to keep Mr. Woodhouse more comfortable while in their home. The Coles seemed like gracious and kind people and undeserving of Emma’s harsh criticism.

8. Who do you think gave Jane Fairfax the pianoforte? The Campbells, Dixons (Mr. & Mrs./ Mr./ Mrs.?), Mr. Knightley, anyone else? Why do you think that the person or people you suspect did it?
    I think that it may be the Campbells or Mr. Churchill. They are both familiar with her talent for music. I don’t think that it was a coincidence that Mr. Churchill went to London during the same period of time that the pianoforte arrived.

I think that it was gossip and that Emma loves hearing and sharing gossip.

10. Why do you think Frank takes such pleasure in tormenting Jane Fairfax about this the day after the dinner at Coles'?
    I don’t remember Frank tormenting Jane. Maybe I haven’t read far enough into the book yet.

11. Do you think that Emma will stick to her guns about not wanting to get married?
    No. Emma is heard saying it so often that I think we are being set up to see her finally want to be married at some point.

10. Just a little bit of fun here. If you could be the match-maker in the novel, what couples would you make from the characters we know? Why?
    I would set up Mr. Knightley and Harriet. They both seem kind and considerate and I think that they would make a good match.

As a side note, I dislike Emma more and more. She puts so much effort into keeping Harriet and Mr. Wilson apart! I thought that she would have learned her lesson because of the Harriet/Elton debacle but she just keeps putting up roadblocks between Harriet and Mr. Wilson. Hearing her thoughts on the Coles has also lessened my opinion of her.

What are your opinions of the character of Emma as written in the novel? Does your opinion differ when you see Emma portrayed in a movie or mini-series? How? Why?

Roxie

Mr. Darcy

Here are mine as well, Sorry they are a day late. Had to play catch up with the reading this week....

I think she was a bit harsh. Here he was, trying to show her how he loved her, granted at the extreme end, and she completely made a fool of him. I don’t know that I would have liked her to accept, but I don’t think she should have treated him as harshly as she did.

Emma’s feelings towards Jane are what I think about Emma’s feelings toward anyone she meets; she likes them when it suits her. I think Emma feels a bit threatened by Jane. They are the same age, with similar intellect.

I could care less, to be brutally honest, about Mr. Elton, one way or the other. I guess, if it came down to it, I would be happy for him to have found someone to be happy with. I think it will be better for the community seeing that Miss Hawkins is bringing with her a sizable inheritance. As for Harriet, I feel bad for her, but also feel that someone better will come for her.

I think she is both mad at being wrong, and a bit jealous, for lack of a better term at him having found another woman, who accepts his proposal. Sour grapes for Emma towards Mr. Elton.

I expected him to more of the Mr. Darcy type, more of a gentleman, more proper. He seems to be a good man, genuine at least, willing to interact with everyone.

Perhaps he didn’t trust anyone but the barber in London to cut his hair, however, I think he went to buy the piano.

Emma seems to be getting more stuck up than she was in the beginning. I think she should have taken the invitation, rather than riding her father’s coattails for friends. It’s their house, who am I to say who they should have invited? I certainly wouldn’t have invited her to my house for dinner.

As written above, I think Frank bought it in London. Why he bought it, remains a mystery to me, perhaps, to venture a guess, to “test the waters” so to speak to see if Jane Fairfax was interested in him, and what the reaction would be about the gift.

I’m assuming this question is about who bought the piano, in which case, Emma did tell Frank her suspicions, which frank then took and let them steamroll into more rumors, all of which seemed to be for the benefit of Emma, who is in her element when rumors are involved.

I think he is trying to embarrass Emma by bringing it up and possibly to see what Emma’s reaction is. I think he is also trying to see how each reacts to him.

I think Emma will end up getting married. I certainly hope she does for the rest of Highbury’s sake…

I would have put Harriet with Mr. Elton, I think she would have done well with him and his farm. Frank and Jane Fairfax seems to be good together, both are musically inclined. Emma and Mr. Knightley, if for no other reason than to torture Emma, but I think they would have kept each other on their toes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Hey Roxie, I liked your question and wanted to make sure that everyone noticed it so I'm just re-quoting here

Quote Originally Posted by Roxie

What are your opinions of the character of Emma as written in the novel? Does your opinion differ when you see Emma portrayed in a movie or mini-series? How? Why?

Roxie

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Here are mine as well, Sorry they are a day late. Had to play catch up with the reading this week....
    No worries, Nick. The Sunday deadline is just for me to post the questions. Any participants can contribute whenever they get around to it.

Although it is more interesting when everyone contributes before finishing the book, so their impressions are still fresh and guesses are guesses!

I am so behind. I am still reading Emma I am still reading what was given for week two.

I am late! I've been watching the Olympics. But I'm still trying to participate.

Emma, in my opinion, was surprised at Mr. Elton's behavior. He'd had just a little too much to drink. I do not believe she was too harsh on him. He was not that far out of line. Probably, this was good that this profession of love which would not go anywhere came out. That way, Mr. Elton could take steps to move on. I would not have liked Emma to accept. If she did, she'd have been betraying her own belief in her failed matchmaking project between Harriet and Mr. Elton.

I am getting the impression that Jane Fairfax is reserved and guarded. I don't really dislike Jane, but wonder about her mysterious, guarded nature. I think Emma suspects there may well be something going on in Jane's life with a man, perhaps a married one.

I am delighted Mr. Elton will marry. That was quick, wasn't it? In the long run, this will bode well for the community as well as Harriet. I think Harriet likes the farmer.

I can't believe Mr. Elton has changed for the worse. That's Emma's selfish take on him, in my opinion.

His personality was foreshadowed. Mr. Knightly doesn't like him too much. He appears to be impulsive. I don't know why, but I don't trust his stability at this point, perhaps due to what I perceive as his impulsiveness, but maybe that is his youthful exuberance; however, Emma seems to enjoy dancing with him. And she, too, is impulsive at times.

This was a surprising event. On the one hand, it seems to have been done on impulse; but I was a little suspicious of this sudden departure, thinking perhaps he was involved in something more than just a haircut.

Possibly she felt they were beneath her in social standing. But I am not too sure. You guys will likely have a correct take on this one. I don't think she should have refused; seems like everyone else in this story was going, so she might as well, also.

My evil little mind is thinking Mr. Dixon sent the pianoforte, and that he is attracted to Jane.

Yes. And I think Frank has his suspicions, also.

He might have been attracted to Jane, also, and is jealous of the possibility of someone else showering such attention on Jane.

No. I think she'll marry, one day.

I'd like to see Harriet and the farmer marry. He's a good man, and would make a good husband for Harriet.