Emma Questions, Week Three

Tom Sawyer

Default Emma Questions, Week Three

Hello all! We're plowing on through this one, and I hope you're all doing well with it. Don't worry if you're a little behind; you can answer questions whenever you get to those parts. Well, before I begin to sound like Miss Bates, I'll jump on in with the questions!

1. What do you think about Frank's family, the Churchills? Do you think they really impose such strict rules on him?

2. Do you think that Frank Churchill is in love with Emma?

3. Do you think Emma is in love with Frank Churchill?

4. We've just gotten to meet Mrs. Elton. Do you think she is a valuable addition to the community? Do you like/dislike/love/hate her? Why?

5. Considering the behaviour of the Eltons as a couple, do you think that Mr. Elton is the same as he has always been?

6. Emma has certain opinions about Mrs. Elton that the rest of Highbury doesn't seem to share. Do you think Emma is acting spoiled, or do you think that the rest of the community is blind to Mrs. Elton's faults?

7. Mrs. Elton has decided to help Jane Fairfax in any way she can. What do you think of her help? Would you want a friend like her?

8. Emma thinks that Mr. Knightley may be in love with Jane Fairfax. Do you think he is? If not, who do you think he loves (if anybody)?

9. At the ball, Frank Churchill insists on dancing with Emma all night. Does this mean that he is still in love with her?

10. What do you think of the Eltons' treatment of Harriet Smith at the ball?

11. Did it surprise you when Mr. Knightley decided to dance? Do you think he has feelings for Harriet?

12. Harriet, after the ball, is brought, fainting, to Hartfield by Frank Churchill. Emma seems to think it strange that Frank Churchill found Harriet and the gypsies. Do you think her suspicions are well-grounded?

13. What do you think of Harriet Smith's collection of things related to Mr. Elton? Is is sweet? Creepy?

14. Mr. Knightley is suspicious of a connection between Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill. Do you think he has good reason? Are his suspicions proof that he has feelings for Jane?

15. At Donwell Abbey, Jane Fairfax leaves quite suddenly. Why?

16. When Frank Churchill join's the group there, he seems to be in a bad mood. What do you think his reasons are?

17. Why do you think that Emma didn't enjoy the trip to Box Hill?

18. What do you think of Mrs. Elton's comments when Emma and Frank Churchill are trying to liven up the group?

19. Why do you think Frank Churchill tells Emma to find him a wife?

20. What do you think of Emma's comment to Miss Bates? Do you think that Miss Bates felt the jab as much as Mr. Knightley thinks she did, or is he being overcautious?

Phew....quite a few questions this week. I hope you all enjoy going through the questions and it gives you a chance to analyze the events that have occurred so far. We're almost done the book, so keep on pushing through and I can't wait to see what you all think!
    Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Emma Questions, Week Three

Roxie, to answer your question, I think Emma is self-centered. She seems a bit nasty at times when whoever she is talking to doesn’t agree with her. She also likes to be in the middle of everyone’s business, obviously. As for the rest, I really have nothing to judge the series or movies by, as I have never seen anything. Sacrilege, I know, but if I watch it on TV at this point, I won’t finish the book, not because it would ruin it for me, but because I don’t really like the book as much as I thought I might so there would be no point in finishing it after seeing the show/movie.

1. What do you think about Frank's family, the Churchills? Do you think they really impose such strict rules on him?

I think, though rich, they are still needy. Needy in the sense that they still need to be waited on, hand and foot, by Frank, perhaps as re-payment for their taking him in and raising him.

I think Emma thinks Frank is in love with her, or wants to think he is in love with her. By his actions, one would have to suppose that he is at least interested in her. Though, I think there is more up his sleeve than simply wooing Emma.

Absolutely! She mentions that she is having feelings for him, and that she is glad when he gets “recalled” to the Churchill’s, that way she will have time to forget about him.

4. We've just gotten to meet Mrs. Elton. Do you think she is a valuable addition to the community? Do you like/dislike/love/hate her? Why?

Mrs. Elton, herself, and I would dare say, herself alone, thinks that she is a valuable addition to the community. Granted, there are some who are fond of her, I rather despise her, just because of her “holier than thou” attitude.

5. Considering the behaviour of the Eltons as a couple, do you think that Mr. Elton is the same as he has always been?

Absolutely not!! The Mrs. has definitely had a negative impact on his attitude towards the others. Where before, he was sociable, now, since his marriage, he has taken on her persona.

6. Emma has certain opinions about Mrs. Elton that the rest of Highbury doesn't seem to share. Do you think Emma is acting spoiled, or do you think that the rest of the community is blind to Mrs. Elton's faults?

I think there is a bit of bit going on there. I think Emma is a bit spoiled in many things, but I also think the others are a bit blinded by Mrs. Elton because of the ‘newness’ of her.

7. Mrs. Elton has decided to help Jane Fairfax in any way she can. What do you think of her help? Would you want a friend like her?

I think Mrs. Elton really wants what is best for Jane; however, I think she is a bit pushy in her attempts to help. Even after Jane refuses, Mrs. Elton still insists. I wouldn’t want to be friends with her, and risk the chance of her trying to run my life.

8. Emma thinks that Mr. Knightley may be in love with Jane Fairfax. Do you think he is? If not, who do you think he loves (if anybody)?

I think Mr. Kightley despises Jane. I think he, whether he or she knows it, is in love with Emma.

9. At the ball, Frank Churchill insists on dancing with Emma all night. Does this mean that he is still in love with her?

I’m not so sure he loves her, but rather, enjoys being around her, and enjoys her company and conversation.

I found them absolutely appalling. For a people of such ‘high regard’ it is extremely lowly of them to act that way. I actually felt bad for poor Harriet.

11. Did it surprise you when Mr. Knightley decided to dance? Do you think he has feelings for Harriet?

It did surprise me a little; he didn’t seem the type to partake in the dance. To me, he seemed more the type to sit with the men and chat. I think he despises Harriet.

12. Harriet, after the ball, is brought, fainting, to Hartfield by Frank Churchill. Emma seems to think it strange that Frank Churchill found Harriet and the gypsies. Do you think her suspicions are well-grounded?

That part confused me a bit. Not sure what I missed but the whole gypsy thing really made no sense to me. Yeah, I think it strange, seems odd that frank just so happened to be in the area when this was going on.

13. What do you think of Harriet Smith's collection of things related to Mr. Elton? Is is sweet? Creepy?

One word: Stalker. She’s a complete nutjob. I found that a bit creepy.

14. Mr. Knightley is suspicious of a connection between Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill. Do you think he has good reason? Are his suspicions proof that he has feelings for Jane?

I think he has great reason to be suspicious, I am myself. I don’t know that he has good reason, other than the gypsy thing. No. I don’t believe he has feelings for Jane.

I’m not sure if it was really because of something that was said to her by Mrs. Elton, or the fact that Frank was supposed to be coming.

16. When Frank Churchill join's the group there, he seems to be in a bad mood. What do you think his reasons are?

On the surface, it would seem that he is upset because of being held up by Mrs. Churchill, deep down though, I think it may have been because he missed the opportunity to see/interact with Jane.

I don’t think she enjoyed it because the focus wasn’t on her the whole time. Another possibility would simply be that the Elton’s ruined it for her because she didn’t much care for them.

18. What do you think of Mrs. Elton's comments when Emma and Frank Churchill are trying to liven up the group?

Party pooper. That’s what I thought. She seems a bit to prim and proper for the rest of the group.

I think he’s secretly hoping Emma will pick Jane for him.

20. What do you think of Emma's comment to Miss Bates? Do you think that Miss Bates felt the jab as much as Mr. Knightley thinks she did, or is he being overcautious?

I think she was trying to be silly, but it was a bit out of line. When it comes to Knightley talking to Emma, I always think he is trying to either ‘enlighten’ her to her ways, comments, or behavior, or to mold her how he thinks she should be.

Puck

I am sorry my responses are so late this week. It has been a crazy week at work. I am so glad the weekend is finally here!

I don’t really trust Frank so it is hard for me to tell if he is really needed by his aunt as much as he says he is or if he is using her as an excuse to stay in London.

No. I think that he is using Emma to make Jane Fairfax jealous. I think that Emma may be the most “desirable” woman based on social standing in the area, and he likes having her on his arm.

I think she is infatuated with him, but not in love with him.

I dislike her. She seems very pretentious and fake. She acts like everyone is beneath her.

No, he seems to have gotten worse. The way he treated Harriet at the ball was despicable.

I think that the community must be blind to Mrs. Elton’s faults.

I would not like a friend like her! Mrs. Elton reminds me of Emma in that they both think that they know what is best. Poor Jane is harassed over and over again about a governess position that she doesn’t want and Harriet is pushed towards Mr. Elton while she was in love with someone else.

I don’t think that Mr. Knightley is in love with Jane Fairfax. I think he admires her but that is as far as his feelings go. I think he is starting to fall in love with Emma.

I think that Emma’s social status and age make her desirable to Frank. But I don’t think he loves her.

Such a gentleman! I didn’t like he much before and now I like him even less. I thought he treated her horribly.

I was very happy for Harriet that he came to her rescue. I think he has grown to admire Harriet as a kind person and he was trying to help her save face. It was a very gentlemanly think to do. I don’t think that he has romantic feelings for Harriet.

I am not sure why Emma is suspicious of Frank. I think Harriet is very lucky that he was around.

Since I myself have collected mementos like Harriet I would have to say I found them sweet. (I don’t want to be creepy! In my defense the objects I collected were on dates and not just a random guy that I was interested in) I think it goes to show that we attach meanings to objects that are not obvious to everyone.

I think that there is something going on between Frank and Jane. He is constantly talking about her or trying to find an excuse to do so. I don’t think that Knightley’s suspccious are proof that he has feelings for Jane.

I think she was trying to escape from Mrs. Elton and wanted to avoid Frank. I don’t blame her on either account.

I think he felt snubbed by Jane or that he ran into her on his way there and that they had a fight.

I think that the trip was spoiled by Mrs. Elton. Emma doesn’t like either of the Elton’s so I think the trip was doomed from the start.

I don’t think that she likes sharing the spotlight so she was disparaging to Emma and Frank.

I think it was a stab at Jane Fairfax. I also think he likes to be the center of attention and that is a subject that everyone seems to be interested in discussing.

I think Miss Bates felt the jab as badly as Mr. Knightley thinks she did. Emma’s comments were harsh and unnecessary. He seems to always be looking out for other people’s feelings. He also seems to enjoy pointing out Emma’s faults.

Roxie

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Roxie, to answer your question, I think Emma is self-centered. She seems a bit nasty at times when whoever she is talking to doesn’t agree with her. She also likes to be in the middle of everyone’s business, obviously. As for the rest, I really have nothing to judge the series or movies by, as I have never seen anything. Sacrilege, I know, but if I watch it on TV at this point, I won’t finish the book, not because it would ruin it for me, but because I don’t really like the book as much as I thought I might so there would be no point in finishing it after seeing the show/movie.
    Thank you for your response Nick! I totally agree with your assessment of Emma. I watched the movie Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow and the movie Clueless (a modern take on Emma) and really enjoyed both. I thought that Emma, as portrayed in these movies, had a good heart and that she was trying to be helpful. In the novel I find Emma as you do. But I keep defending Emma's actions in my mind because of my past exposure to her. If I didn't have those references, I wouldn't like her character at all.

Roxie

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Roxie
    I would not like a friend like her! Mrs. Elton reminds me of Emma in that they both think that they know what is best. Poor Jane is harassed over and over again about a governess position that she doesn’t want and Harriet is pushed towards Mr. Elton while she was in love with someone else.
    I love that you compared Mrs. Elton and Emma! I hadn't really thought of the comparison before, but I find it's strikingly accurate. Maybe that's another reason that Emma doesn't like Mrs. Elton. She may unwittingly see her own negative qualities in her, forcing her to face unflattering facts eventually.

And I am so with you about Emma pushing Harriet around. I want her to marry Mr. Martin so much! (Only a little bit left of the novel, though, so I guess we'll see soon enough)

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by jill
    I love that you compared Mrs. Elton and Emma! I hadn't really thought of the comparison before, but I find it's strikingly accurate. Maybe that's another reason that Emma doesn't like Mrs. Elton. She may unwittingly see her own negative qualities in her, forcing her to face unflattering facts eventually.

And I am so with you about Emma pushing Harriet around. I want her to marry Mr. Martin so much! (Only a little bit left of the novel, though, so I guess we'll see soon enough)
    Maybe Mrs. Elton's character is a foreshadowing of what Emma might become if she doesn't change her ways, like a "Ghost of Christmas Future."

Tom Sawyer

Oooh that's a sweet idea.

I think Mrs. Churchill has a rather tight hold over Frank; but then again, I still get the impression he pretty well does what he wants, although his wanting to go abroad comes with Mrs. Churchill going abroad for her health, so the Mrs. Churchill hold on Frank seems to be strongly in place.

No. I don't think he is.

No. I do not think so.

I dislike her. She seems to need to control others, like Emma.

As a couple the Eltons appear to take on the demeanor of aloof, imperious people, in my opinion. I think Mr. Elton was not like this before he married; however, he seems to have had no problem selecting a wife with these characteristics, and displaying them, himself. I'd say the inclination towards their haughty manners has always been inherent in Mr. Elton.

Perhaps, when Emma sees Mrs. Elton in action, it seems like looking at herself in a mirror, and she doesn't like what she sees.

Mrs. Elton seems to be a lady who will meddle, and try to control. I would not like a friend like her.

I don't think he's in love with Jane Fairfax. I do, however, think he loves Emma.

No.

It was horrible. They treated her in a dismissive manner.

Mr. Knightly did not surprise me when he asked Harriet to dance. He does not have feelings of love for Harried; however, he does not like the dismissive attitudes of Mr. Elton toward Harriet and he wished Harriet not to be psychologically harmed by the insult of Mr. Elton not asking her to dance. Mr. Knightly saved the ball, for Harriet, an honorable thing to do.

No. I think it was fortunate that Frank showed up and helped her.

I think it is sweet. Perhaps this shows her innocence and, perhaps, longing to one day fit in with a good marriage, as Emma wishes.

No. I do not think Jane Fairfax wishes a connection with Frank Churchill; however, I am suspicious of Frank Churchill's encounters with Jane. He might be attracted to her, but only to taunt her because he seems to suspect Jane may have at one time been emotionally attached to Mr. Dixon. I could be way off on this. I will read what you guys think, see how far off I am.

My guess: Frank Churchill showed up and she left to get away from him.

Jane Fairfax took off when Frank showed up. That might be the reason. Maybe he was insulted that whe'd run away from him, ruin his cruel fun with her. I could be way off on this, so I'll see what you guys think.

Because just before they left, Mr. Knightly had words with her concerning her blunt and impolite words to Miss Bates.

Haughty and impolite.

Maybe he wishes Emma to set him up with Jane or Harriet. Not sure. He seems unstable, maybe manipulative. Am I way off on my read of Frank?

I think Miss Bates felt the jab, and it hurt her.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by arne_bue

Maybe he wishes Emma to set him up with Jane or Harriet. Not sure. He seems unstable, maybe manipulative. Am I way off on my read of Frank?
    I don't think you're way off at all! I can't stand Frank, and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. I'd love to see what you think at the end of the novel. I had to finish it for this week, but take your time. I am especially interested to hear what people think of the ending of the novel as it pertain's to Frank's character.