Emma Questions, Week Four!

Tom Sawyer

Default Emma Questions, Week Four!

Hey all! We've reached the end of the novel, and I thought it might be nice to give you all a little bit more free reign over the responses for our final week!
    So instead of a big list of questions, I'd just love to hear your impressions of the novel. Doesn't matter if they are limited to this week's reading or any other, if it's bothered/surprised/interested/bored anyone I want to see it up here!
    If you're having trouble thinking of what you'd like to comment on, remember the subjects of love/jealousy, rich/poor, upper/lower class, understanding/misunderstanding, country/city, sickness/health.. All of these have some application to the novel, and that's not a conclusive list, either!

If people really, really need questions I do have some typed up, but I thought this might bring people out a little bit more in their own way, instead of limiting their answers to the questions I see fit to ask! (But if I get a couple messages requesting specific questions they may end up posted here anyways)

Can't wait to see those comments
    Jill
    Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Emma Questions, Week Four!

I am happy that I finished the book and that I have been a part of the book club! I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses to the questions.

After it was revealed that Frank Churchill was secretly engaged to Jane Fairfax, I was appauled! Why would she still agree to marry him?!?! He treated her so badly. I understand trying to keep the engagement a secret, but he went overboard with his flirtations with Emma. Maybe being married to him would be better than being a governess?

When I read that Mr. Knightley had been in love with Emma since she was thirteen I was shocked! She was just a child and he was in his late twenties. Maybe since life spans were shorter then, 13 wasn't that young? It was a definite eeeewwwww moment for me.

Roxie

Mr. Darcy

Well, I stuck with the book and I LOVED IT! I can't believe I actually finished it. I can't believe the way Frank Churchill acted. I think if you are going to have a secret engagement you should at least be respectful to the person and limit your contact with others. I was happy to see Emma end up happy. Was nice to see a guy realize she couldn't leave her dad and love her enough to be willing to give up something for her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

I know what you guys mean about Frank and Jane. I did see it coming for a while, but especially after seeing how badly he admits to treating her I can't believe she still marries him!
    Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Mr. Darcy

I, too, can't believe I finished the book!!!

Reason 1: because this book was a dread to get through for me. Coming from Pride and Prejudice, this was a complete flop...sorry to all who liked it.

Reason 2: I recently had a situation in my family that had us sitting on pins and needles for the last week, waiting for a dire outcome that has since, much to our amazement, reversed itself, not completely, but enough to where we are not as worried anymore. Therefore, I am sad to say, Emma had to take a back seat for a lot longer than I anticipated. I actually wanted to get it read so I wouldn't have to worry about not finishing it...

Reason 3: I really couldn't deal with Emma herself much anymore...lol... again sorry to those who liked reading it. I am grateful for the opportunity to read something I otherwise wouldn't have read on my own, as well as to Jill for so graciously offering to run the book club!!! Kudos to you Jill!!

That said, I am glad for the parties involved in the book to have found someone to be their significant others, that way, no feelings were hurt for one being left out. I can see why Frank acted as he did. I might have dine the same thing had I not wanted anyone to know, it would simply draw less suspicion that way. I am glad that Emma and Knightley are an item for the sole reason that perhaps he will be able to straighten her out...and as for Harriet, it seems as though she has done the same thing as frank, though without the actions to the extent that Frank took them. She had a fondness, if you will, for Mr. Martin the entire time, without telling anyone.

Call me cruel, but I wished for, somewhere in the book for someone to tell Mrs. Elton to go fly a kite. That woman did nothing since her introduction but get on my nerves with her attitude and nose in the air presence. I was hoping Emma would at least have had the sense or gall to do it, but to no avail as you all know. On that topic, who is Mr. Elton, who must still have hard feelings for Emma for turning him down, to berate the wedding of Emma and Knightley.

I think they both should have been brained a good one...

Until next time,
    Nick

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Reason 2: I recently had a situation in my family that had us sitting on pins and needles for the last week, waiting for a dire outcome that has since, much to our amazement, reversed itself, not completely, but enough to where we are not as worried anymore. Therefore, I am sad to say, Emma had to take a back seat for a lot longer than I anticipated. I actually wanted to get it read so I wouldn't have to worry about not finishing it...
    I hope that your family situation continues to improve!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

Call me cruel, but I wished for, somewhere in the book for someone to tell Mrs. Elton to go fly a kite. That woman did nothing since her introduction but get on my nerves with her attitude and nose in the air presence. I was hoping Emma would at least have had the sense or gall to do it, but to no avail as you all know. On that topic, who is Mr. Elton, who must still have hard feelings for Emma for turning him down, to berate the wedding of Emma and Knightley.

I think they both should have been brained a good one...

Until next time,
    Nick
    I second that!

I had fallen behind the rest of you, so my apologies! However, I did finish Emma this morning, a few minutes ago. I'd never read Jane Austen. I marvelled at her insights into the lives, the problems, the solutions, even the seeming effects of randomness that enters into our present daily lives, e.g., the 'gipsies' event with Harriet, and Frank saving her. She developed her characters and displayed the interactions of them with apparent ease, although I'm sure she put a lot of effort into each creation. I felt I knew them. I'd leave my present state and enter into Jane Austen's world. I looked forward to picking up my Nook and experiencing the conflicts, beliefs, false beliefs, twists, resolutions, emotions ... parts of life that probably happen today in a few families. Jane Austen had an uncanny insight into human foibles, so this work resonates today, in my opinion. She'd take me directly into the innermost thoughts of a character. When her characters came into play, I'd nod and say to myself, yeah, I think I've met someone like that. And, sometimes amazed, I'd ask myself, how'd she know how to tap into my mind and create a reaction within me like that? Anyway, I enjoyed this. I thank all of you!