Questions for Week Three of The Twenty Dollar Bill book club

Mr. Darcy

Default Questions for Week Three of The Twenty Dollar Bill book club

Here's the third set of questions - and please note #10, just like last week, it is an open invitation to ask me your own questions, whether it is about specific scene from this week's readings, about writing, or anything else that you might be curious about.

1. What type of book does Charlotte want to write?
    2. Why does Rosita leave?
    3. How does Marcos get the truck?
    4. What do you think is most important to Ferdinand?
    5. Why is there a red smudge on the twenty dollar bill?
    6. Why does George regret needing a new part for the van?
    7. Susan (from week one) and Kevin have similar jobs. How different are their views of work?
    8. Which of the ten scenes was your favorite (and why)?
    9. Was there a scene – or character - that you could have done without?
    10. Any other comment you would like to make, or question you would like to ask the author!

Thanks again, I look forward to reading your posts.
    Elmore Hammes
    Author, The Twenty Dollar Bill (and other novels of various natures)

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Questions for Week Three of The Twenty Dollar Bill book club

Well, this week sure was the tour of Mexico! I found this leg of the journey both interesting and enjoyable... Here's my shot at this week's questions:

1. What type of book does Charlotte want to write? A modern day Gone with the Wind... And, I feel her pain in her attempts to get the story out of her head and onto paper amongst so many distractions!

2. Why does Rosita leave? Because the pervert, Mr. Johnson, made inappropriate, unwanted sexual advances toward her. She should have kneed him in the groin and called the cops! But, she is probably in the country illegally and only trying to earn enough to make her and her family's life a little better, so she probably took the only course of action that benefited all involved. I'm sure she also felt compassion for Charlotte as well...

3. How does Marcos get the truck? He takes it from Ferdinand while it was unattended. I don't like the implication that he stole it because his intentions were solely to save Felipe!

4. What do you think is most important to Ferdinand? Money and that others perceive him as a successful businessman, when in reality he's a money hungry sleaze-ball who is taking advantage of the poor residents of his colonia. Ferdinand was definitely this weeks villain...

5. Why is there a red smudge on the twenty dollar bill? Felipe's blood transferred from Marco's shirt to the corner of the Twenty Dollar Bill.

6. Why does George regret needing a new part for the van? Because the money spent on the Alternator was intended to go into the construction of houses in the colonia. To quote George, who really puts it in perspective: "That’s ten percent of another home for a family. That’s two hundred dollars that won’t go into a new tin roof, or plywood walls, or a floor for a kitchen." This really makes you think what we tend to take for granted...

7. Susan (from week one) and Kevin have similar jobs. How different are their views of work? Kevin loves his job! He recognizes he's got it made getting paid to sit and do pretty much nothing, with little or no interaction with people due to automated pay-at-the-pump service. Susan, on the other hand, hates her job, and hates the fact that she has little or no interaction with people because of automated pay-at-the-pump service.

8. Which of the ten scenes was your favorite (and why)? Gloria's! I think the way she handled Ferdinand was classic, and her interaction with Marcos could have developed into a whole plot of it's own! She truely cares for others and it shows with the self-sacrafice and compassion she shows Marcos and Felipe.

9. Was there a scene – or character - that you could have done without? Not this time around, I really enjoyed the tour of Mexico, and each character added a uniqueness to the story line!

10. Any other comment you would like to make, or question you would like to ask the author! I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I find it both interesting and amusing that each week one character has emerged as a villain, and money has been the recurring motivator for their evil ways (I guess that's not really surprising being as the story is about money!)... It's refreshing, however, that the majority of the characters are good people with honest intentions, even if some may be tucked under tough calloused layers the reader has to peel back to reveal the underlying goodness. And, as with every other week, I'm dying to know what happens next! Does Charlotte finish her book? Does she confront her lying, cheating husband and kick him to the curb? Does Felipe survive? Do Marcos and Gloria get together? Does the van ever get fixed? As wonderful as this book is, it's leaving more questions than answers! LOL!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul58
    10. Any other comment you would like to make, or question you would like to ask the author! I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I find it both interesting and amusing that each week one character has emerged as a villain, and money has been the recurring motivator for their evil ways (I guess that's not really surprising being as the story is about money!)... It's refreshing, however, that the majority of the characters are good people with honest intentions, even if some may be tucked under tough calloused layers the reader has to peel back to reveal the underlying goodness. And, as with every other week, I'm dying to know what happens next! Does Charlotte finish her book? Does she confront her lying, cheating husband and kick him to the curb? Does Felipe survive? Do Marcos and Gloria get together? Does the van ever get fixed? As wonderful as this book is, it's leaving more questions than answers! LOL!
    Paul, thanks for the feedback. I didn't deliberately separate "evil" characters each week, however I guess it is an indication of my personal belief that the majority of people are good at heart, so not very many of the characters have truly bad motivations or intentions.

I know many of the situations are left very open-ended. I hope you are enjoying speculating as to how those situations are resolved!

Elmore

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Hey, where'd everyone go?
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:

Mr. Darcy

I'm not sure, Paul. It's been quiet on the boards in general - I guess everyone must be off reading on their Nooks!

I do want to invite any "lurkers" to post away with any questions about The Twenty Dollar Bill, or even about writing or publishing. I would be happy to answer!

Elmore Hammes
    Author, The Twenty Dollar Bill, and various other books

Puck

1. What type of book does Charlotte want to write?
    Charlotte wants to write a modern version of Gone With the Wind.

2. Why does Rosita leave?
    Rosita leaves because makes a sexual advance is made on her and she is fearful that he might go further if given another chance. I felt terrible for her and her family.

3. How does Marcos get the truck?
    Marcos sees that Ferdinand left his keys in his truck so he “borrows” it so he can save the life of a boy who is badly injured.

4. What do you think is most important to Ferdinand?
    Himself! He cares about his own well-being above all others.

5. Why is there a red smudge on the twenty dollar bill?
    The red smudge on the bill is from Felipe. He is bleeding badly and his blood gets all over Marcos who is carrying the money.

6. Why does George regret needing a new part for the van?
    George regrets needing a new part for his van because it means that the missionaries will have less money to build homes in Mexico.

7. Susan (from week one) and Kevin have similar jobs. How different are their views of work?
    Kevin loves his job because he gets to watch Jerry Springer all day and has very little to do. Susan seemed bored with her life and her job and spent her hours at work daydreaming about men.

8. Which of the ten scenes was your favorite (and why)?
    My favorite scene was Gloria's. She seems compassionate and caring. I am a romantic at heart and I loved how we got to see her start to open her heart to Marcos (even though he is currently distracted by Felipe's injuries).

9. Was there a scene – or character - that you could have done without?
    No. I am really enjoying this book.

10. Any other comment you would like to make, or question you would like to ask the author!
    I am amazed how quickly I am drawn into each character's story. I want to know what happens to the characters!

Roxie

Administrator

I had fun reading your responses tot his book Roxie and Paul!! Isn't an awesome book? It does leave so many questions, but I think that is the appeal to it. Isn't it fun though how some characters get no more to their story, but a few do. I think this was the most appealing part of the book for me.

Even though people aren't typing up their answers, I am sure they are reading and following along!!! Thanks for hosting this month's book club Elmore!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Mr. Darcy

Roxie, thanks for the feedback - I am glad you are enjoying it.

Rachel, it has been my pleasure. I look forward to posting the final set of questions this weekend and getting the final impressions of the book from the Nookboard readers.

Elmore

Puck

Roxie,

Glad to see you post your answers, I was wondering where you were!
    Paul...

Now reading:

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Paul58
    Roxie,

Glad to see you post your answers, I was wondering where you were!
    Thank you Rachel, Elmore and Paul58! It was a busy week for me. I am glad I was able to participate (even if it was late!)

Roxie