Week 1 Questions and Week 2 Reading Assignment

Mr. Darcy

Default Week 1 Questions and Week 2 Reading Assignment

All,

Wow, how quickly a week goes by! I hope you’re finding the book a worthy read. I hope you don’t mind if I post these a day early. I may not have time tomorrow.

Questions:

1). Why did The Old Man have to take two days off work?
    2.) What type of bees did Mike and Eddie catch?
    3.) What is used to cover the doorway leading to Feenie’s room?
    4.) What is the neighbor lady’s name? What are her daughters’ nicknames?
    5.) Place these kids in order from oldest to youngest: Mike, James, Jeff, Donnie, Tim, Eddie, Lee.
    6.) Given the time and place, do you think the parents’ actions were extraordinary? Why or why not?
    7.) What is Mike’s favorite pastime?
    8.) Where is the oldest brother living?
    9.) Which character do you most identify with? Why?

You may answer the following only if you wish. But please consider them, and at least answer them to yourselves.

Imagine yourself critically injured, teetering on the brink of death. What would you think about? What is the most important thing you would resolve to do if you survived? What if you didn’t make it? Have you really lived? Do you have your affairs in order? Would your family be able to make it financially?

Week 2 Assignment

Chapters 5-8

The Indian
    Joseph
    Hide and Seek
    Free Fall

Again, please feel free to comment and ask anything.

Regards,

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Week 1 Questions and Week 2 Reading Assignment

Thus far, I have found this book an interesting read. Can’t quite describe is as enjoyable mainly due to the disturbing parenting skills employed, but I do find the adventures away from home entertaining! Here’s my shot at this week's questions:

1). Why did The Old Man have to take two days off work? To fix the floor after it gave way under the weight of the full washtub and Lee.

2.) What type of bees did Mike and Eddie catch? Yellow Jackets

3.) What is used to cover the doorway leading to Feenie’s room? A Blanket

4.) What is the neighbor lady’s name? What are her daughters’ nicknames? Rose Martin, she had two daughters, whose real names never were mentioned, however, they were known as Tink and Sis, unless Eddie paid them too much attention and then they became Stink and Piss!

5.) Place these kids in order from oldest to youngest: Mike, James, Jeff, Donnie, Tim, Eddie, Lee. Jeff, James, Lee, Mike, Eddie, Donnie, and Tim. This is my best guess based on the clues in the story thus far. I had a tough time placing Donnie and Tim being as they are only briefly mentioned, but assume the order in which they were mentioned may have given a clue as to their age being as most folk go down the list oldest to youngest!

6.) Given the time and place, do you think the parents’ actions were extraordinary? Why or why not? Absolutely! I grew up being disciplined with a belt (and probably deserved it), but was never left with bruised bones, or made to stuff maggots up my nose! I think even in that time this type of treatment would clearly be child abuse!

7.) What is Mike’s favorite pastime? Spending time at the Creek with Eddie catching crawdads.

8.) Where is the oldest brother living? Joseph lives with his grandparents, Granny and Grampa Joe

9.) Which character do you most identify with? Why? Mike. Aside from the abuse, many of his adventures paralleled those of my youth, and I tended to get myself into similar jams…

Imagine yourself critically injured, teetering on the brink of death. What would you think about? What is the most important thing you would resolve to do if you survived? What if you didn’t make it? Have you really lived? Do you have your affairs in order? Would your family be able to make it financially?
    This is tough! Being as I don’t truly know Mike’s age at the time this near death experience occurred, it’s hard to put myself into a frame of reference relative to the same time frame in my life, and let’s be real, at 51, my perspective of life is much different than when I was 12, 18, 25, or even 35!

If this happened to me today, I think I would be most concerned about my wife and children and how it would affect them emotionally. If I survived, I don’t think much would change because I already have my priorities pretty well aligned (although they do differ tremendously from what they were 10 - 20 years ago…). If I didn’t make it, well, not a lot I can do about that, other than believe there is a better life awaiting us all! I believe I have lived a good life, my wife and I have raised two beautiful, successful, well adjusted children, and grow to love them and each other more each day. Does anyone ever have all their affairs in order? Financially, I think my wife will be fine, we have enough insurance to cover everything and my wife is very marketable should she decide to return to the workforce. Besides, what else will she have to do with her time if I'm gone?.
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Puck

1). Why did The Old Man have to take two days off work?
    The home was not built on a foundation and the floor eventually gave way to a tub filled with water and Lee.

2.) What type of bees did Mike and Eddie catch?
    They caught yellow jackets. (The whole time I was reading this I was thinking, “Please don’t throw them in Feenie’s room! I was terrified of the consequences of their actions!)

3.) What is used to cover the doorway leading to Feenie’s room?
    A blanket.

4.) What is the neighbor lady’s name? What are her daughters’ nicknames?
    The neighbor lady’s name is Rose and her daughter’s nicknames are Sis and Tink.

5.) Place these kids in order from oldest to youngest: Mike, James, Jeff, Donnie, Tim, Eddie, Lee.
    This is a tough question. I have been so fearful of what happens next, I am not sure of the birth order.

6.) Given the time and place, do you think the parents’ actions were extraordinary?
    Why or why not?
    YES! The maggots alone made me put my nook down and go outside and get some fresh air. I was never punished with belts or battery straps as a kid. The fact that the book is non-fiction is making the horrific punishments that these kids endure really difficult to read.

7.) What is Mike’s favorite pastime?
    Mike’s favorite pastime is catching crawdads in the creek behind his house with his brother. He especially liked catching the blue ones. (This is my favorite part of the book so far! A wonderful afternoon between two brothers catching crawdads and meeting an Indian.)

8.) Where is the oldest brother living?
    He is living with his grandparents.

9.) Which character do you most identify with? Why?
    None of them. I grew up in a city with non-abusive parents. I feel empathy for these characters, but I am not identifying with any of them so far. (I feel like calling my parents and thanking them for giving me a great childhood!)

Roxie

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Roxie,

Hang in there with me...the book does eventually become a little lighter. In fact, there are a few chapters ahead where you'll laugh hard!

Paul, very well done on putting the children in order. You surmised correctly, except for Lee and James. In chapter 4, when Mike drifts off into one of his "side stories," you'll find that Lee is the third oldest and James is the fourth.

I was also very interested in your responses to the optional questions. I hope that all others who are reading along can answer with the same conviction. If not, I hope the questions might give them pause to reflect on what is really important!

Thanks to all for reading this. I know it can be very heavy at times. But I hope I you'll find that I was upfront about that in the very beginning.

Respectfully,

Ed

Puck

Ed-

I am hanging in there! I just finished this week's reading assignment. You were very upfront about the material, which I really appreciate.

Hopefully some more people will be joining us!

Roxie

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_ODell

Paul, very well done on putting the children in order. You surmised correctly, except for Lee and James. In chapter 4, when Mike drifts off into one of his "side stories," you'll find that Lee is the third oldest and James is the fourth.

Respectfully,

Ed
    Ed,

I must have missed that clue! Note to self, "Pay attention, some of these questions are tough!"

Roxie: I'm with you, where is everybody? No offense, but for that past two months it's been just you and I; that's a pretty lame "Club" if you ask me! LOL!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson