Week 2 Questions and Week 3 Reading Assignment

Mr. Darcy

Default Week 2 Questions and Week 3 Reading Assignment

All,

Another week gone already! Here are the questions for this week (chapters 5-8):

1.) What caused Mike to hurt his hip?

2.) How did the boys’ feelings about the Indian change over the course of thirty minutes? Have you ever had a belief, or set of beliefs, about a person or group completely shattered? How so?

3.) What do you think about Joseph? Where do you think he learned his deviant behavior?

4.) What did Mike earn for “selling his soul?” What did he ultimately do with those earnings?

5.) How would you describe Granny?

6.) When the brothers ran away, where did they make their new house?

7.) What does Mike want to be when he grows up?

8.) What did Mike Anthony do to get James involved?

9.) What do you think about James? Is he a bully, or are his actions justified?

10.) Based on what you know of the characters, what do you think Feenie would have done if Mike told her about Joseph? What would The Old Man have done?

Points to ponder: answer if you wish!

Do you believe the cycle of abuse can be stopped? How so?

Do you think that abuse is more prevalent today than when this story takes place? Why or Why not?

Reading assignment for week 3: chapters 9 - 12.

The Car
    The Well
    The Attic
    Cat Fight

Thanks,

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Week 2 Questions and Week 3 Reading Assignment

Okay, on to week two...

1.) What caused Mike to hurt his hip? While running from the Indian, he made an abrupt stop in order to turn and see where Eddie was, and he slipped on a slick rock and fell, slamming his hip into the same rock.

2.) How did the boys’ feelings about the Indian change over the course of thirty minutes? Their feelings went from fear to friendship. Have you ever had a belief, or set of beliefs, about a person or group completely shattered? How so? Absolutely! As a criminal investigator for most of my adult life, I have seen plenty, and all things are not as they initially seem. I had a case years ago where a male supervisor sexually assaulted a male subordinate. All initial indication were that the subordinate was making up the allegation to divert attention from him due to other issues he had. When it was all said and done, the supervisor had in fact sexually assaulted the subordinate, but the intent was to get kick out of the military, not sexual as one might assume. He got what he wished, but the means to the end were definitely maligned!

3.) What do you think about Joseph? He's a pervert, and a scumbag for molesting his little brother. Where do you think he learned his deviant behavior? Who, knows... Not enough clues are given to say with any certainty, however, prolonged physical abuse can manifest itself in strange ways...

4.) What did Mike earn for “selling his soul?” A couple toy robots and an overwhelming feeling of guilt that far outweighed any feeling of joy or gratification of the reward. What did he ultimately do with those earnings? Destroyed them by slamming them into the ground repeatedly until they were unrecognizable.

5.) How would you describe Granny? A two face, bible thumping potty mouth, someone who hasn't a clue, or decidedly looked the other way and feigned cluelessness.

6.) When the brothers ran away, where did they make their new house? In a cardboard box behind the Kroger.

7.) What does Mike want to be when he grows up? An Astronaut.

8.) What did Mike Anthony do to get James involved? Made fun of Mike, slapped his helmet and then shoved Eddie to the floor, which ultimately cost him three teeth.

9.) What do you think about James? Is he a bully, or are his actions justified? I think he's trying to be Mom, Dad, and protector of his brothers, something they don't have from their birth parents. I don't see him as a bully, and while his methods may not be justified, he's merely reacting to situations as he has grown up in an environment where everything is dealt with with violence, so he really knows nothing else.

10.) Based on what you know of the characters, what do you think Feenie would have done if Mike told her about Joseph? Feenie probably would have called Mike a liar and beat him. What would The Old Man have done? The Old Man would have beat Joseph, or based of previous threats, may have killed him.

Do you believe the cycle of abuse can be stopped? How so? Stopped, no, it can be delayed by locking up the perpetrator, but unfortunately, that type of behavior tends to repeat itself.

Do you think that abuse is more prevalent today than when this story takes place? Why or Why not? I don't think abuse is more prevalent today but I think people are more aware of it and with the advent of the internet, e-mail, and high-speed communication, the media can disseminate news of abuse must faster and further than before.

This is a really disturbing story, especially knowing it's true. I really feel for you and your brothers, no one should have to endure this type of abuse. I'm still waiting for the laugh, but it hasn't happened yet... I hope week three is a bit more lighthearted than week two!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Puck

1.) What caused Mike to hurt his hip?
    Mike hurt his hip when he turned back to see if his brother was also running from the Indian. He slipped on a rock in the pond and hit his hip on it.

2.) How did the boys’ feelings about the Indian change over the course of thirty minutes?
    At first the brothers were terrified and thought that the Indian was going to scalp and kill them. Then over the course of thirty minutes, they exchanged food and turkey feathers.

3.) What do you think about Joseph? Where do you think he learned his deviant behavior?
    I was shocked by Joseph’s behavior! He needs professional help. I couldn’t believe how he manipulated Mike into performing that act. I suspect that someone else must have done something similar to Joseph. He knew exactly what to do and say to get Mike to do it. He even made sure to tell Mike to keep it a secret.

4.) What did Mike earn for “selling his soul?” What did he ultimately do with those earnings?
    Mike earned two Rock-em Sock-em robots. Ultimately he smashed them into smithereens because he was so disgusted by what his brother made him do.

5.) how would you describe Granny?
    Granny seems to have blinders on. She has too many excuses for Feenie’s behavior. She seems unable or unwilling to see the truth.

6.) When the brothers ran away, where did they make their new house?
    The brothers built a new home out of cardboard boxes in the alley behind a market.

7.) What does Mike want to be when he grows up?
    Mike wants to be an astronaut when he grows up.

8.) What did Mike Anthony do to get James involved?
    Mike Anthony picked on Mike because Mike had to wear a helmet to protect his head from his recent surgery and his epilepsy. James knocked three of Mike Anthony’s teeth out for picking on Mike and Eddie.

9.) What do you think about James? Is he a bully, or are his actions justified?
    I was happy to see that James came to his brothers’ defenses. I don’t think he is a bully, I think he wanted to make sure that no one else messed with his brothers.

10.) Based on what you know of the characters, what do you think Feenie would have done if Mike told her about Joseph? What would The Old Man have done?
    I don’t think that Feenie or The Old Man would have believed Mike. I think that there would have been severe consequences for both boys without either parent really investigating what really happened.

Do you believe the cycle of abuse can be stopped? How so?
    I think that it would be very difficult to stop the cycle of abuse. I think that the kids would have to be removed from the home and that parents spend some time in jail. I think they would also need some anger management and parenting classes.

Do you think that abuse is more prevalent today than when this story takes place? Why or Why not?
    I think that the abuse isn’t necessarily more prevalent today but that it definitely still exists. Way too often on the news there are reports of abuse against children. CPS is overwhelmed with the number of cases that are reported. So sadly, this is still alive and well today.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

All,

Wow! Impressive, quick and thoughtful responses!

Each week I feel a bit worse for taking on this task. I feel as though the book may be a bit heavy for it.

I was hoping you'd find Chapter 5 (the Indian) a welcome, uplifting interruption to the overall tone of the book.

Paul, the next three chapters are not gonna read much lighter. Chapter 12 (Cat Fight) hopefully will provide some laughter, and (as I intended) another needed, welcome break from the overall dark tone.

Again, please know that I was trying to be upfront in the beginning. I am so very thankful that you have committed to Mike's story, but I do not want to sink the club into clinical depression.

Respectfully,

Ed