Week 3 Questions and Week 4 Reading

Mr. Darcy

Default Week 3 Questions and Week 4 Reading

Hi Again All,

Another week down! It's been a good week, with the book receiving two very favorable independent reviews! I hope the bobcat incident provided you some admittedly needed relief from the overall tone. And, if it's any consolation, we start off next week's reading with my favorite chapter, "Horns and Pitchfork," where the family matches wits with the devil.

Week 3 Questions

1). What did Mike bring to Eddie as a gift in the hospital?

2). In chapter 10 (The Well), what hadn't Mike yet mastered in his dialog with Feenie about bringing water in?

3). What was Mike wearing when Feenie chained him up?

4). What are your feelings on the fight between James and Feenie? Keeping in mind who you'd be fighting, what would you have done if one of your siblings was in a similar bind?

5). What did Mike and Eddie do to get thrown into the attic?

6). What do you think Mike feared more: the dark, rats, or Feenie? Why?

7). What are your impressions of Lee? How do you imagine him as an adult?

8). Keeping in mind the setting (time and place), what do you think of The Old Man?

9.) What are your feelings towards Jeff?

10.) What did Mike learn about his father while the fight with bobcat was unfolding?

11.) Describe Eddie's predicament when the bobcat got on top of the bed.

Points to ponder -- answer if you wish:

Chapter 10 is sort of a turning point in the book, one in which the family dynamic was forever altered. Have you experienced an event -- good or bad -- in your childhood or life that so dramatically altered "business as usual" in your family?

Mike spent nearly an entire day in the attic living in fear, justified or not. Have you felt unjustified fear to the point of panic, or near panic, in your life? If so, what did / do you fear? Why was / is it unjustified?

Week 4 Reading: Chapters 13-16

Horns and Pitchfork
    The Watch
    Foster Care
    Aunt Marilee and Uncle Charlie

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Week 3 Questions and Week 4 Reading

1). What did Mike bring to Eddie as a gift in the hospital?
    A worm and some dirt. (This gift made me smile! It was very sweet.)

2). In chapter 10 (The Well), what hadn't Mike yet mastered in his dialog with Feenie about bringing water in?
    Unfortunately Mike had not mastered sarcasm.

3). What was Mike wearing when Feenie chained him up?
    Mike was wearing just pants or shorts. Prior to being chained up he had taken off his shirt and shoes.

4). What are your feelings on the fight between James and Feenie? Keeping in mind who you'd be fighting, what would you have done if one of your siblings was in a similar bind?
    Considering the circumstances and the history of abuse, I think that James felt like he had no other option. I would hope that I would be as brave as James to protect my sibling.

5). What did Mike and Eddie do to get thrown into the attic?
    They were chasing each other in the house and Eddie crashed into Feenie.

6). What do you think Mike feared more: the dark, rats, or Feenie? Why?
    I think that Mike feared the rats the most. He seemed very concerned about them the entire time he was in the attic. He made plans of attack for the rats and he didn’t for Feenie. I think he didn’t like being in the dark because he couldn’t see the rats, but that the dark in and of itself wasn’t scary for him.

7). What are your impressions of Lee? How do you imagine him as an adult?
    I feel horrible for Lee. He is like an indentured servant. I imagine him as submissive and subservient. I hope that is not the case though!

8). Keeping in mind the setting (time and place), what do you think of The Old Man?
    My opinion of him improved that he actually helped to get the bobcat out of the brothers’ bedroom. I was expecting him to make the boys get rid of the bobcat so that he could get some sleep.

9.) What are your feelings towards Jeff?
    I really don’t know enough about Jeff to feel strongly one way or another. Maybe I am too focused on Eddie and Mike when I am reading.

10.) What did Mike learn about his father while the fight with bobcat was unfolding?
    Mike learned that his father can be scared and unsure of what to do. Mike was shocked that his father backed out of the room with the bobcat.

11.) Describe Eddie's predicament when the bobcat got on top of the bed.
    Eddie was torn between watching the action unfold and not becoming part of the action.

Roxie

Mr. Darcy

Nicely done, Roxie!

Is Paul58 still with us? He's usually quite active, supportive, and informative on these forums. I haven't seen much activity from him lately. I hope he's OK!

Ed

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Hey all...

Just got back in town after a week on the road, will be working on the questions today. I'm still finishing up the last chapter from last week, so I still have some catching up to do!

Okay, I just spent my lunch hour finishing up the last chapter and putting my thoughts on paper, so here goes...

Week 3 Questions

1). What did Mike bring to Eddie as a gift in the hospital? An earthworm, complete with the dirt to make the poor creature feel right at home.

2). In chapter 10 (The Well), what hadn't Mike yet mastered in his dialog with Feenie about bringing water in? He hadn’t quite mastered the fine art of sarcasm! I’m sure life has greatly increased his mastery of this art…

3). What was Mike wearing when Feenie chained him up? Just pants! Is this woman still alive? If so I’d like to talk to her….

4). What are your feelings on the fight between James and Feenie? Keeping in mind who you'd be fighting, what would you have done if one of your siblings was in a similar bind? I feel Feenie got off lucky, she walked away on her own and lived to see another day! I admire James for sticking up for his siblings where no other adult seems compelled or capable of doing so…

5). What did Mike and Eddie do to get thrown into the attic? Horseplay that led to a minor collision with the Bitc…, umm, I mean Feenie…

6). What do you think Mike feared more: the dark, rats, or Feenie? Why? I think he was more afraid of Feenie because that was an opponent he could not overcome at that age. While he feared the rats and that fear was intensified by the dark, he was quick to devise a plan of attack should they come after him, and I think he would have beat the rats (the small furry type anyway)…

7). What are your impressions of Lee? How do you imagine him as an adult? Lee had to be confused, frustrated and probably internalized all sorts of feelings that would otherwise be set free forever. As an adult, it would not surprise me at all to learn he grew into a psychopathic serial killer who targeted domineering women!

8). Keeping in mind the setting (time and place), what do you think of The Old Man? I think he’s spineless and probably as afraid of Feenie as the kids. Aside from beating Joseph for pushing his Grand-dad (a real manly thing to do) and fighting off the bobcat (the only redeeming factor thus far), I’ve not seen him stand up for any of the kids or take any action to ensure their overall safety. I would be content with him sharing a jail cell with Feenie…

9.) What are your feelings towards Jeff? No real strong feelings, when both Feenie and the Old man leave he’s in charge and doesn’t mimic the bad behavior of the parents, so that’s a huge plus towards defining his character! Otherwise, he’s not a big presence in the story.

10.) What did Mike learn about his father while the fight with bobcat was unfolding? I think he learned the Old Man was scared of more than just Feenie! Although there’s probably not much of a difference between a pissed off Bobcat and a pissed off Feenie!

11.) Describe Eddie's predicament when the bobcat got on top of the bed. Should I stay or should I go! I think he wanted to see what was going on and how it would end, but didn’t necessarily want to be part of it and face the fury of a mad Bobcat.

Points to ponder -- answer if you wish:

Chapter 10 is sort of a turning point in the book, one in which the family dynamic was forever altered. Have you experienced an event -- good or bad -- in your childhood or life that so dramatically altered "business as usual" in your family? Fortunately, no, not to the affect that’s described here.

Mike spent nearly an entire day in the attic living in fear, justified or not. Have you felt unjustified fear to the point of panic, or near panic, in your life? If so, what did / do you fear? Why was / is it unjustified? Again, nothing that has even come close to what Mike has had to endure…
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Mr. Darcy

Rumors of Paul's demise (started and flamed by me) are greatly over-exaggerated!

Good to see you back on here, Paul. Hope your trip went well. Well done on the answers! I'll give you a rundown of how everyone has adjusted during a wrap-up post next week.

Ed

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_ODell
    I'll give you a rundown of how everyone has adjusted during a wrap-up post next week.

Ed
    I am really looking forward to the rundown of how everyone has adjusted! I am hoping that some of the adults in the story are in jail.

I finished the book this past weekend. I was stunned at the ending.

Mr. Darcy

Roxie,

As a primer: Eddie grew up and wrote a book entitled "Three Minutes More."