Pandora's Star Week One Conversation *Spoilers Ahead*

Puck

Default Pandora's Star Week One Conversation *Spoilers Ahead*

I think we'll do this a little different than the other book clubs. With an epic space opera like this, there is far more to discuss than just plot points and characters! I only ask that for anyone that's read ahead (or finished the book) please be careful to keep any conversation we have to the relevant section. If anyone wants to discuss anything outside of that, please feel free to start a thread. Since there's soon to be six books in the overall Commonwealth saga, there's plenty of discussion to be had about a lot of this stuff as it stretches over time. So anyway! With regards to this book:

When I read this book the first time, the concepts introduced here mostly blew me away. First of all, I personally can't recall any science fiction that made such fascinating use of wormhole physics. sure, you could say the Stargate series of movies and TV did, but even that was far more limited in scope than this. Sure it kills the 'romantic' notion of space travel but the possibilities it opens up are incredible. It made traveling by space ship seem as quaint as traveling by airship or passenger liner today. No one crosses the Atlantic by ship anymore! I am a little surprised that no one, prior to this venture by CST, produced any space vessels for leisure because just like cruise ships today, I could see that as a good "let's get away" type of trip. I'd certainly be up for a Jovian tour!

But the other concept that Hamilton introduces is, I think, far more radical than wormhole technology. The wormholes, in the end, allow humans to do what we've always done. Expand. But rejuvenation technology does far more than that! It changes society as we know it. There are many people who would say they wouldn't want to live like this...forever essentially. I would embrace this in a heartbeat myself. Especially with the whole galaxy open to me. (Though as they mention in the prologue, this tech was available prior to wormhole tech) The other aspect of the technology though is something that I still have trouble coming to terms with and that's the whole "relife" procedure. It changes your whole concept of who "you" are. If I died and my memory cell is put in a clone, is that still "me" or just a copy? But what if my memory cell is lost? Is that clone with my memories me at all? Yeah you kind of go on in a way...but you are also dead. Trying to wrap my head around that is both fascinating and scary!

And it would have MAJOR social implications as is definitely implied in the first few chapters. Marriage is completely altered. It almost has to be. "Till death do us part" is hard to comprehend when you just aren't going to die. I don't doubt there are some people who find soul mates for eternity in the Commonwealth but their attitude towards marriage, given the context of what they've become, seems pretty reasonable to me.

Those were the things that hit me when I first read the book and honestly keep me fascinated with the universe Hamilton created in general. And the characters themselves are all very well done...I really found all of the characters introduced here very interesting!
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/codefox/
    shout.net/identi.ca: http://ninetail.me/shout/codefox (Join the federated social revolution!)
    blog: http://ninetail.me

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Default Re: Pandora's Star Week One Conversation *Spoilers Ahead*

Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga books are brilliantly written

Be a little cautious when starting off reading Pandora's Star, you can't just put it down and walk away, you'll need; want, urge to pick up Judas unchained.......then you'll have to start off on the 'void' series.....(the last one's out soon :-)..

Then of course, you'll want to try the Nights dawn Trilogy

I've gotten through ALL of peter Hamilton's books as DTB versions (some are HUGE), i'm avidly salivating over the release of the E-book version of Evolutionary Void

If you Like descriptive, 'out there' writing with plausible technology, a universe filled with a wealth of detail, you'll Love Peter H's work

No, i'm not a sales person, I picked up The Neutronium Alchemist in a book sale just over 2 years ago.......I was a bit addicted from there on!

Puck

Default Re: Pandora's Star Week One Conversation *Spoilers Ahead*

Well we will be reading "Judas Unchained" next since you can't read just "Pandora's Star". But let's keep conversation solely to chapters 1 - 5 of Pandora's Star so that for those who haven't read it yet don't have to worry about spoilers from beyond that!
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/codefox/
    shout.net/identi.ca: http://ninetail.me/shout/codefox (Join the federated social revolution!)
    blog: http://ninetail.me