March Upcountry Week 2 Discussion

Puck

Default March Upcountry Week 2 Discussion

Despite the fact that this is a long series, I feel like right now the book is progressing rather nicely. A few things that interested me:

1) The mutual and unacknowledged thus far interest of Roger & one of his guard detail. I always like seeing one of these types of forbidden interest stories and how it will be resolved because something has to change for someone in a big way for it to ever work. Roger isn't exactly mature enough to handle that sort of thing either.

2) Roger killing that huge beast I think is a good example of the problems he has being taken seriously. He did something that, to the people in charge of his safety, seemed incredibly rash. As that's his reputation it was assumed he did what he did without thinking of the consequences when in reality, because Roger was a seasoned big game hunter, he understood that the animal represented a significant threat to everyone and took it out. Unfortunately, because he did so without saying why he was doing it first, it created a situation that was misinterpreted. That his actions resulted in gaining the friendship of the local tribe just ended up being a very lucky bonus.

3) I think its pretty unlikely that the 2nd crusier was taken out by the self destruction of the ship. It was pretty foolish try and get that encyclopedia. I've never seen an encyclopedia that had enough information in it to make it valuable enough to risk detection like they did. When detection is possibly the difference between life and death, that just makes it even dumber. Not sure I was crazy about that either from a literary standpoint...it seemed a little too contrived as a way to get the cruiser alerted to the trap.

Overall though, I'm really enjoying this so far
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/codefox/
    shout.net/identi.ca: http://ninetail.me/shout/codefox (Join the federated social revolution!)
    blog: http://ninetail.me

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: March Upcountry Week 2 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Codefox
    It was pretty foolish try and get that encyclopedia. I've never seen an encyclopedia that had enough information in it to make it valuable enough to risk detection like they did. When detection is possibly the difference between life and death, that just makes it even dumber. Not sure I was crazy about that either from a literary standpoint...it seemed a little too contrived as a way to get the cruiser alerted to the trap.
    So tempted to respond to your first two points but it's not possible without spoilers.
    So, I'll just say that the encyclopedia will be more crucial to the entire series than you can ever imagine (and for very NON-contrived reasons).
    (You folks have GOOD book discussions - hopefully, I won't have already read the next book to be discussed and can participate more actively without being afraid all the time of giving away the plot ).

I agree with point 3. The fact that we didn't get told specifically the 2nd cruiser was destroyed is a big tell that it will play a part later in the novel, or the series.

I guess you've never heard of the Encyclopedia Galactica. I'd risk a lot to have a copy of that with me all the time.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

On point 2 - Roger probably isn't used to having to explain his actions, being royalty. I was really wishing he would get a chance to explain his reasoning for shooting the beast. Then maybe the marines would have a bit more respect for him instead of thinking he did it on impulse or to prove his big game hunting skills.

On point 3 - I agree that the second cruiser most likely isn't destroyed and also think trying to get the Encyclopedia was worth it. Aside from information on survival that would be in it there would certainly be information that would be useful for trading with the primitive cultures.
    Now Reading:
    March Upcountry
    Delver Magic II: Throne of Vengeance
    The Killing Fields (paper book)

I liked the fact that Roger didn't get a chance to tell his side of the story. The ass-chewing Pahner gave him was totally authentic and it was definitely one of those character building moments that I found lacking when I first started the novel. For the first time we see Roger having to stop and think, really think, about his actions and how they affect others.

As to the encyclopedia, I think we've also got to remember who was making the request. Since it was O'Casey of course she's not going to be thinking in terms of the shuttles getting caught by the enemy. She just knows she needs information and since she is an authority figure, of sorts, the marine does what she asks. I didn't find it too contrived.

Once I got over my initial expectations for the novel I really started enjoying it for what it is. I still wanted it to be more of a "coming of age" for Roger but I'm not expecting that type of character development with every page turn now.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Puck

I mean if this was the HHGTG, I could totally understand
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/codefox/
    shout.net/identi.ca: http://ninetail.me/shout/codefox (Join the federated social revolution!)
    blog: http://ninetail.me

Tom Sawyer

(I honestly forget this part, so I'm right here with the rest of you who've never read the series before...)
    I don't agree with the idea that the second cruiser wasn't destroyed...they said that its sensor readouts disappeared just after the DeGlopper's signal terminated. If they managed to high-tail it out of there, I would think you'd still see sensor readings as they were high-tailing it. What I might buy is that they got a message off to the ship that is stationed over the port (the one that caused them to have to land on the other side of the planet). Or possibly there were survivors who were picked up by that ship.

I'm torn as to whether the encyclopedia try was worth it. I think I might have felt it to be more appropriate if Eleanora had a better formed idea of what she wanted to get, rather than just randomly grabbing things.

Tiny Tim

I am totally loving this book.

here is one of my thoughts.
    because everyone is stranded on teh planet does the ships captain then become a Commodore or admiral?
    I know that it is stated that the prince went to the academy (Annapolis?) and it appears he may technically be a royal marine is his hypocritical rank given and if so what page was it on?

totally rocking that the romance sub plot is there...

the only thing that is bugging me somewhat is the Encyclopedia Galactica you would have thought that the princes aid or the protocal officer wold have alredy had that as an upgrade to there toot just in case they were to loose communication with the big big computers? or at least some more portable method of access...

and arrgh how many of you type teh instead of the? i hate the fact that most of the time i hit e before h.