DarkFever (Fever Series #1) Discussion Thread

Default DarkFever (Fever Series #1) Discussion Thread

Alright folks, here we go! ShadowFever comes out Tuesday at 12:01am (we hope!) and we're all gnashing our teeth in impatience! Let's discuss the other 4. This thread is for DarkFever questions and answers only, so please, NO SPOILERS! Please keep in mind that we are discussing the entire book, so if you haven't finished it yet, don't go any further.

Q: What was your favorite quote from the whole book?

Q: What do you think of Mac when you first meet her?

Q: How do you think Alina died, and what do you think the rest of her message would have said, had she not been cut off?

Q: What was your impression of the abandoned warehouse district, later dubbed The DarkZone?

Q: Who is the LM?

Q: What is Malluce? Is he a vampire or sidhe?

Q: V'lane.

Q: What is the Sinsar Dubh?

Q: Fiona obviously feels something for Barrons, but do you think it's love? Or is it something else entirely?

I'll think of more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: DarkFever (Fever Series #1) Discussion Thread

Must. Read. Faster.

I can't wait to start these!

Puck

I'm going to have to go back and read to answer the favorite quote and stuff.

But...

A: hmmm, light and shadow, hiding behind what he's pushing to get from Mac. And why the heck so pushy???
    May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Q: What happened between Fiona & Barrons in the scene where Mac eavesdrops on them from the back of the bookstore? Why does Fiona's mood change suddenly?

Q: Mac got a sense of spatial distortion when she first arrived at Barrons Books & Baubles (BB&B), and was surprised to see how huge it was inside. She even noticed, (but strangely enough, didn't look harder at) the painting on the ceiling several stories up. It was almost overwhelming for her. She also gets the same feeling with Barrons when they are going to O'Bannions, like he's there and he's not, and he's bigger than he appears to be. What are your thoughts on this?

Q: Why do we only see Barrons at night?

Q: Barrons walks among the Shades. How?

Q: Why do you think Jack and Rainey Lane didn't tell Mac or Alina they were adopted?

Q: The Guarda said there was no semen found in Alina, but another substance. What was that substance???

Q: When Mac goes to LaRuhe St, she finds photographs of Alina and the LM. So someone else was taking those pictures of them, yet not one person Mac talked to at Trinity remembers seeing Alina with anyone, ever. What do you make of this?

Q: Why would Jack Lane get those photos of his daughter? How? That's not something you normally release to loved ones, yet they did.

d'Artagnan

Oh my! I'm going to have to write down all these questions so I can write my answers!

I can barely contain myself for Tuesday!

Puck

I took a quick stab at jotting down my thoughts on most of the questions. Here goes:

I think of Mac as being a 16 year old. A very feminine, fluffy, girl lacking in depth of character. I enjoy that she doesn’t seem to be jaded by life. That she’s out of her teens and is so two dimensional really irritates me. I know I tossed out, “GROW UP!” at her a few times.
    Q: What was your impression of the abandoned warehouse district, later dubbed The DarkZone?
    I think of it as a ghetto that all have abandoned, stalked by someone/things “magical” and badder than the baddest gang.

I don’t know! Is it Barrons? V’lane? One of the Unseelie Mac’s seen on the streets who has better/impenetrable glamor? Is it one of the Seelie who has yet to fall to unseelie?

I think he’s a human/fae Halfling. I may not be right in this thought, but I know he's not human and not vampire and is surrounded by Unseelie.

He arrives, bathed in light, but with shadowy intentions. Why is he so pushy to try to get at Mac? Since he’s trying coerce her to submit to him, as it sounds like Alina was obsessed/submissive to the LM, V’lane’s one of my top contenders to be the LM. If not the LM, then someone in partnership with the LM. Bottom line, V’lane puts me on Bad Guy alert. Bad Guy, not Bad Boy. Bad Boy is Barrons. Bad Guy is the one who will weasel his way into your life under the cloak of being one person, and be doing the work of evil under your nose, using you to help accomplish Bad Things. Dark, dark, dark. Reading about him raises the hairs on the back of my neck, and not in a happy way.

I think it’s an artifact of some kind, but no idea what. So, Barron’s tells us what it is. I accept his explanation. It’s still an artifact – a dangerous one.

Q: Fiona obviously feels something for Barrons, but do you think it's love? Or is it something else entirely?
    I think Fiona feels love for Barrons combined with jealousy over the arrival and unusual treatment of a pretty young woman. She feels threatened and pushed aside for a newer, shinier model of car.

Q: Mac got a sense of spatial distortion when she first arrived at Barrons Books & Baubles (BB&B), and was surprised to see how huge it was inside. She even noticed, (but strangely enough, didn't look harder at) the painting on the ceiling several stories up. It was almost overwhelming for her. She also gets the same feeling with Barrons when they are going to O'Bannions, like he's there and he's not, and he's bigger than he appears to be. What are your thoughts on this?

I missed this entirely both times I read the book! Glossed over the size of BB&B and the medallion on the ceiling. Though, looking back after reading books 2, 3, & 4 – these things may well have meaning. I also missed the “he’s there and not “, but did notice the text about him seeming bigger than he appears to be.

Barrons being bigger than he appears thoughts: he’s more than a man. He’s more than his words. He’s more than his intentions. In essence, he’s trying to manage a war for minimal casualties and best outcome. He’s some kind of “Q” from Star Trek NG, only with maturity and who’s gone through a lot of hard knocks. He isn’t someone who thinks of himself, but thinks of lives as a whole. Mac is throwing off his perspective, he needs to be thinking of big picture, and she is causing him to think about her as more than a soldier in the war.

He’s supposedly not a vampire, so I am clueless as to why he’s only in our world at night. Have thought about it, repeatedly, but have no explanation. Is he related to those Shades?

This makes me think Barrons is part of what has made the Dark Zones, since he walks among the bad things who live in the Dark Zones and remains untouched. Those shades are some kind of extension of Barrons, himself, and they want no part of merging with him, again.

Q: Why do you think Jack and Rainey Lane didn't tell Mac or Alina they were adopted?
    They are a family. It is their dream. They love their daughters. THEIR daughters. Jack & Rainey don’t even think on terms of biological vs adopted. Alina & Mac are their children, their family, part of their love.

Q: The Guarda said there was no semen found in Alina, but another substance. What was that substance???
    With all those bite marks, I was thinking it was some nasty kind of saliva – or maybe she drew some of that nasty blood from one of the Unseelie beings on her way out. My first inclination was to think it was that many mouthed unseelie thing.

Q: When Mac goes to LaRuhe St, she finds photographs of Alina and the LM. So someone else was taking those pictures of them, yet not one person Mac talked to at Trinity remembers seeing Alina with anyone, ever. What do you make of this?
    I make of this that the LM has a partner or two. That he cared enough to have photos of the two of them together gets me to believe that he is not Alina’s killer.

Q: Why would Jack Lane get those photos of his daughter? How? That's not something you normally release to loved ones, yet they did.
    Jack’s a lawyer and this is a crime that spans international borders. Never gave the photos a thought until looking at this question. Hmmm

May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door.

Puck

--oh goodness. I have no idea. I can't remember.

--I liked her. Definitely pretty girly and shallow, but I knew that, based on her starting character, it will be fun to watch her grow and change and see how she matures.

Q: How do you think Alina died, and what do you think the rest of her message would have said, had she not been cut off?
    --I definitely think it was something supernatural. I think if we heard the rest of the message, there might have been a little more for Mac to go off of..

--I was definitely creepy!

--No idea!

--I don't think he is necessarily a vamp or sidhe. (Mac would be able to tell if he was sidhe) I think he was once human and made "a deal with the devil" so to speak to give him supernatural abilities.

Q: V'lane. evil
    --I haven't figured V'lane out yet. I definitely don't like him, or the effect he has on Mac, but I haven't completely been convinced whether he is completely good or bad..

--They tell us don't they. A powerful, magic book.

--I don't think Fiona loves Barrons so to speak. I think she more loves the fact that by being accepted by him, it makes her feel "entitled or special". Like she has won something, and his acceptance is a prize. They may have "other arrangements" but I think Fiona is threatened by Mac bc she is no longer the only woman accepted by Barrons. I think her "love" is completely selfish.

Q: What happened between Fiona & Barrons in the scene where Mac eavesdrops on them from the back of the bookstore? Why does Fiona's mood change suddenly?
    --Don't remember this scene leaving too much of an impression on me, with the exception of we now knew for sure that Fiona was jealous of Mac. Up until then, we only thought she was based on Mac's interpretation of Fiona's body language.

--That there is alot in this story that isn't/won't be as it seems..

--I don't know, but I want too! I think alot of what keeps me intrigued by this series is finding out Barrons story. He's so secretive.

--I was thinking it was bc of the cuff he wears. It's similar to the cuff V'lane offered Mac, isn't it?

--I guess they never thought that truth was necessary.

--Something UnSeelie.. ew!

--They may have asked a stranger to take pictures. It's not uncommon.

--No idea, never really have this one much thought to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe
    --oh goodness. I have no idea. I can't remember.

--I liked her. Definitely pretty girly and shallow, but I knew that, based on her starting character, it will be fun to watch her grow and change and see how she matures.

--I definitely think it was something supernatural. I think if we heard the rest of the message, there might have been a little more for Mac to go off of..

--I was definitely creepy!

--No idea!

--I don't think he is necessarily a vamp or sidhe. (Mac would be able to tell if he was sidhe) I think he was once human and made "a deal with the devil" so to speak to give him supernatural abilities.

Q: V'lane. evil
    --I haven't figured V'lane out yet. I definitely don't like him, or the effect he has on Mac, but I haven't completely been convinced whether he is completely good or bad..

--They tell us don't they. A powerful, magic book.

--I don't think Fiona loves Barrons so to speak. I think she more loves the fact that by being accepted by him, it makes her feel "entitled or special". Like she has won something, and his acceptance is a prize. They may have "other arrangements" but I think Fiona is threatened by Mac bc she is no longer the only woman accepted by Barrons. I think her "love" is completely selfish.

--Don't remember this scene leaving too much of an impression on me, with the exception of we now knew for sure that Fiona was jealous of Mac. Up until then, we only thought she was based on Mac's interpretation of Fiona's body language.

--That there is alot in this story that isn't/won't be as it seems..

--I don't know, but I want too! I think alot of what keeps me intrigued by this series is finding out Barrons story. He's so secretive.

--I was thinking it was bc of the cuff he wears. It's similar to the cuff V'lane offered Mac, isn't it?

--I guess they never thought that truth was necessary.

--Something UnSeelie.. ew!

--They may have asked a stranger to take pictures. It's not uncommon.

--No idea, never really have this one much thought to be honest.

Did you just start the books???